Mighty Number 9's final boss

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Poetic Nova said:
Suddenly, I end up being worried about Bloodstained.
You dont need to be, Jim Sterling did a play of the demo they just released of it.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
*copied from a different post of mine*
I'm just genuinely mystified at the overall negative reception this game is getting. I'm an OG Mega Man fan. Played through and beat 1-5 of the originals,7, 8, X's 1 and 2 (never beat 3 but I do still have the playstation version with those amazing boss intros), Beat Legends 1 and 2 and have all of the titles on GBA and DS (except for that battle network bullshit). My expectations were pretty high going into this joint and they've all been met.

It's beautiful, plays amazing (really love how the dash works), and has a decent level of challenge, even for an OG like myself. From my perspective, if you like the old Mega Man games even a little bit you'd be all over this shit. I feel like the internet's gone bizarro over some trite ass drama that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the game itself.

I heard that Inafune's been apologizing about the game or sumthin? That ninja ain't got damn thing to apologize to me about. Shit, I'd like to shake the mans hand. This is EXACTLY what I wanted from him.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
So we've got cartoon Hugh Darrow arguing with a young version of that crazy vet dude from pokemon who sends kids to fight poachers (and who for some reason wears Solo's clothes under his labcoat) about ethical evolution when 8 to 9 of his previous designs went berserk and nearly destroyed the world wrapped up in horrible voice acting, bad animations, a main character that looks like plastic in all the wrong ways imaginable compared to the rest of the art, unbelievably annoying music and quasi-decent(-looking) platformer gameplay. Do I have this right?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Zhukov said:
Is it bad that I get a satisfying feeling of schadenfreude at seeing hyped up derivative Kickstarter games end in disappointment?
Only as bad as it was for me to cackle with glee as John Romero's 'Baby's First Kickstarter' crashed and burned in a rare, glorious display of failed nostalgia.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
crimson5pheonix said:
I think the best comment I read was "I didn't even pledge and I want my money back."
I only watched it and I want restitution.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
In the words of the great Cobra Commander. All of this negativity is unsubstantiated poppycock. I feel bad for all o yous missin out on this hotness cuz you'd rather engage and propagate the culture of internet negativity instead of playing a dope new "mega man" game lol.

lawrencein

Nov 20, 2009
Does this game set the record for the longest credits sequence ever?

Some highlights include:
19:05- #5040 Kamiya was right
18:01- #4695 Amita Sockeesian
34:36 - undefined - undefined
11:25 - #2572 your mom
6:37 - #1046 PetiteMistress (AKA Dina the community manager)

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
lawrencein said:

Some highlights include:
Looks like 'A Generous Backer' is a credit hog.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
LordLundar said:
Fhqwhgod said:
Igor-Rowan said:
Does anyone want recommendations for a better action platformer? Try Azure Striker Gunvolt for 3DS
Amazing game on 3DS. I heard nothing but bad things about the PC port though.
That's because the PC port was just that. A (very poorly handled) port of the 3DS title.

The real kicker? IGN did up their review. It got a 5.6 with the only positive thing mentioned in the final blurb was the dash mechanic. The same mechanic which was criticized in the review as part of making the game far too easy.(For anyone who has played the playstation X series and recalls either the ultimate armor's unlimited falcon strike or X5's falcon armor flight it's comparable)
Not even a little is it comparable... you have to at least weaken the enemy first. The dash actually made the game super fucking annoying for me, because against my instincts in a side-scroller to dash AT the enemy. Sometimes I took damage because the enemy wasn't weakened enough. At least the Falcon Armor's thing was optional.

OT: I have a hard time hating Mighty No.9 because it's a fairly solid side-scroller, more so than most of the indie games that get farted onto the market, claiming to be a return to the 8/16-bit era of gaming, but it's just enough like Mega Man to make me wish I actually WAS playing a Mega Man game, and not enough like a Mega Man game to justify being a spiritual successor. Hell, Dragon Age was a better spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate than this is to Mega Man.

Hopefully Bloodstained will be better, but Mighty No.9 and Red Ash were both examples of why I don't trust Kickstarters for video games - never have and never will, especially when companies start coming to E3 with their begging bowls. "Hey guys! How about... Shenmue III?! I know right? It's the game you always wanted! Isn't this exciting?! Well, give us money and we'll make it happen!" And people did. People gave it a LOT of money... just like they did for Mighty No.9. Here's hoping Koji Igarashi will actually do right by his supporters.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Eh. Well it doesn't look like the worst thing ever. Even the bossfight shown doesn't. I could play through this if I had to and probably would have a decent time. I get that this disappoints you if you were superhyped or backed this on kickstarter but if this hadn't been such a visible game during development, we would have just shrugged our shoulders at this like we should do now.

It does look painfully mediocre. I counted recently and I have somewhere around 17 2d platformers in my steam library. At least 10 of those I think are really good. I'm not interested in mediocre ones.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
lawrencein said:

Some highlights include:
Sad thing is that the credits are longer than the game itself.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
ZombieProof said:
In the words of the great Cobra Commander. All of this negativity is unsubstantiated poppycock. I feel bad for all o yous missin out on this hotness cuz you'd rather engage and propagate the culture of internet negativity instead of playing a dope new "mega man" game lol.
Or you could accept that your opinion is not the majority. And that it's ok to be different without going on a "everyone's just too negative to know how to enjoy this game gosh darnit. Why aren't there more people like me around?" rant.

There's a helluva lot of OGMMF's that AREN'T happy with MN9. I can't claim to be one of those, but I did pick up the Anniversary thing on Steam and enjoyed it, was not impressed with what I've seen of the game or the dev hell it went through.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
ZombieProof said:
I could give two fucks if y'all don't like what I like (scope my post history, that ain't how I roll) but the sentiment that some may be missing out on a quality "Mega Man" game because they're riding the wave is genuine.
Sure, I know about it, but let's be honest here, it doesn't look or feel like a MegaMan game to alot of people that really only followed the release date.

I'll admit, I haven't played it, but I have watched others play it and I can't tell you about how the controls feel or if the shooting feels impactful or whatever, but I can tell you from a design standpoint, it looks like shit. There's not timed platforming of anything that feels like MegaMan to me or slow meticulousness, nothing that reminds you of old-school NES games in general, there's a bunch of shooting, dashing, and arena battles that you can't avoid that makes the thing seem more like a beat 'em up.

And there's nothing wrong with the game, but that's the problem. There's nothing about it that stands out, good or bad for me and others. The problem is that the game is SERVICEABLE. The project that claimed to be a spiritual successor to MegaMan and to rip it out of the dungeons of Capcom to reintroduce to a new generation works, that's what people are annoyed about, that the best you hear is that it's not broken. A project that got something like twice or more their stated goal cut features, downgraded assets and was nearly two years late can be played easily. A project that kicked nostalgia into overdrive and gave us more old-school inspired games and gave them a spotlight with its success is largely forgettable.

There's been a hundred MegaMan-like/-lite/inspired come out on Steam since their Kickstarter was funded, and the majority of them have something memorable about them that isn't just "INAFUNE IS INVOLVED".

Also as an aside, the last post wasn't a soapbox, THIS is a soapbox.

Zombie Proof

Nov 28, 2015
Redryhno said:
ZombieProof said:
I could give two fucks if y'all don't like what I like (scope my post history, that ain't how I roll) but the sentiment that some may be missing out on a quality "Mega Man" game because they're riding the wave is genuine.
Sure, I know about it, but let's be honest here, it doesn't look or feel like a MegaMan game to alot of people that really only followed the release date.
...but I only followed the release date and ignored the drama. That's been my point all along
I'll admit, I haven't played it,
Jesus man, really?
There's not timed platforming of anything that feels like MegaMan
...to me or slow meticulousness
nothing that reminds you of old-school NES games in general
See the above examples
...there's a bunch of shooting, dashing,
man, the unsubstantiated poppycock is strong with this one lol:
Mighty No. 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jhbQ8Eik6Y#t=1m53s
Megaman X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISfltM4HRc#t=2m5s
and arena battles that you can't avoid that makes the thing seem more like a beat 'em up.
LOL, I'm just tired of typing it at this point (don't know where you got that beat em up stuff from but I forgive you since, as you said, you haven't played it) :p
Megaman X3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOVe7Njo7sI#t=4m43s
Mighty No. 9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz-M0FwQ5XY#t=3m28s
Cute post overall though. Full marks for snark. Zero points for countering my claims of unsubstantiated poppycock with...well...more unsubstantiated poppycock lol

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
ZombieProof said:
If you think it looks good, then awesome, power to ya. But even disregarding all the drama surrounding the game, it looks pretty terrible to me, and I've been megamanning for a long time as well.

I think the graphics are awful - both from a technical AND aesthetic perspective. The dash mechanic has no apparent penalty to use, so why wouldn't I just pretty much dash over 90% of the obstacles in the dull-looking levels.
Ledge grabbing needlessly slows down any vertical elements, which may be why from what I've seen there are far fewer compared to the X games, which had verticality be much faster and more interesting due to walljumping, and divvying up the killing of enemies by requiring you shoot them and then also dashing into them seems like a weird splitting of duty.

In the X games, which I prefer to the originals, dashing was a compliment to your attacks, but it wasn't an obligation. Dashing and then attacking(not the other way around) gave you some bonus damage, encouraging you to be fast while still eliminating enemies. Having to shoot them to weaken them so you can dash into them(again, a flipping of order requiring you to slow down to kill, rather than speeding up to kill faster) doesn't strike me as as engaging a setup.

The voices are 'meh' at best, and grating at worst, and of what I've seen, the game is overly fond of 'stay in this enclosed room and kill enemies until we're pleased, then you can continue', as it seems to be used in several spots - again slowing down the player's progress because reasons.

And I'm doubling back to it, but it really bugs me that they ruined the verticality potential by going the ledgegrab route rather than walljumping like in the X games. Any vertical bits are slower and clunkier compared to the smoothness that walljumping allowed.

So yeah, I haven't played it, but absolutely nothing from all the gameplay footage I've seen have sold me on it being a good megaman game. At best it looks like a mediocre, ugly platformer. Certainly not compelling enough a reason to put money down on it to find out for sure.

If it is in fact actually an incredible successor to megaman like what was originally promised, then their marketing and gameplay footage have completely and utterly failed to sell that.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
ZombieProof said:
Man, I hate to tell ya, but your positivity is just a different brand of unsubstantiated poppycock.

You know this game got 4 hours of credits from the backers? You know how much money went into this? And they ain't even gonna code damn MOUTH flaps in cutscenes!?

The game ain't bad, don't get me wrong, but there was a hype train a mile wide that ran out of gas about January 2015 as delays started kicking in to make sure the game was ready and pumped. It kept getting pushed back and when it comes out... man, this is AVERAGE. The graphics have gone down from what we were seeing before, controls are... fine, difficulty is... fine; but what was it delayed for?

I mean maybe it's just cos I ain't finished yet (haven't even watched that Final boss but my stomach's sinking from how people are reacting) but I'm feeling pretty damn underwhelmed. Especially since I'm on PS4 and getting framerate drops after a year and half of delays. Which is pretty much where this negativity is coming from, if I gave you $3,000 to get dinner and you come back with two McD's happy meals, man, I am gonna be at least a LITTLE pissed no matter how much I like the toy inside.

Re-iterate though, It ain't bad, but man this REALLY ain't been good no matter how much you wanna believe it.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
I have been worried about this since the start. The art being released just screamed "Mega Man Clone!" almost to a Cease and Desist level. Even the trailers looked like a bland right scrolling shootout, compared to the great verticality and unique platforming of the old games. I had hopes though, up until the release day.

I legitimately feel sorry for everyone who gave even a buck to this project. I feel sorry for people waiting for a copy of this crap. I feel even more sorry for everyone's WiiU copy that has had such performance issues. If SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is calling you out, then you have really screwed up.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Sheo_Dagana said:
LordLundar said:
Fhqwhgod said:
Igor-Rowan said:
Does anyone want recommendations for a better action platformer? Try Azure Striker Gunvolt for 3DS
Amazing game on 3DS. I heard nothing but bad things about the PC port though.
That's because the PC port was just that. A (very poorly handled) port of the 3DS title.

The real kicker? IGN did up their review. It got a 5.6 with the only positive thing mentioned in the final blurb was the dash mechanic. The same mechanic which was criticized in the review as part of making the game far too easy.(For anyone who has played the playstation X series and recalls either the ultimate armor's unlimited falcon strike or X5's falcon armor flight it's comparable)
Not even a little is it comparable... you have to at least weaken the enemy first. The dash actually made the game super fucking annoying for me, because against my instincts in a side-scroller to dash AT the enemy. Sometimes I took damage because the enemy wasn't weakened enough. At least the Falcon Armor's thing was optional.
Well I was referring to transport as opposed to combat. Because of the necessity of it for combat it was made infinite use which allows for a lot of hazard skipping.