Mike Mignola's Killing Off Hellboy

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
You guys do realize that permanent death is comics is still far away from being actually permanent.

*cough*Gwen Stacy*cough*

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
WHAT THE HELL ESCAPIST! WHY ARE YOU POSTING MAJOR SPOILERS IN THREAD TITLES?

Seriously this really pisses me off. Please don't do this anymore. I know this is the norm when comics do something like this with long ongoing characters to go "oh snap Superman/Spiderman/Captain America is dying again" but when the character is part of a SINGLE ONGOING STORYLINE it's a little different.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The only way this can work is if it's the most epic, meaningful and dignified death ever.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Wow spoilers in the headline.

I've been wanting to read this series for a while now, but I just never got around to buying any trades.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
So he's going to focus on other characters once Hellboy is dead? Cool, I can't wait for the adventures of... uh... that one guy, and the other guy, and... what's his face?

Come to think of it, killing your big star off is a tremendously stupid idea, because I doubt many people will care about this franchise once Hellboy dies.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
Sounds pretty ambiguous. "this really is the end of him as that physical character..."

Seems like he could continue as some kind of ghost, or even maybe just lose his powers or something.

I would welcome his death. Hellboy is awesome and it's rare to see a superhero bow out at his peak.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW MAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!! I just started reading the poxy things... well we still have The Goon movie to look forward to.
It gets more awesome every time I see it *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*!

OutforEC

Professional Amateur
Jul 20, 2010
I see this as a "Hellboy takes over hell and fulfils his destiny" type of thing. Glad to hear that Mignola is changing directions, and whether or not he even continues with the character, what he's done has been great fun and for that, thanks.

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
And yet nobody resurrects The Amazing Screw On Head.

Pheh, Plebeians.

(I have mention this every time I hear the name Mike Mignola)

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
They're killing the character permanently, because no one freaked out the first time... and because it's 'fun'.

Lovely reasoning there.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Asuka Soryu said:
They're killing the character permanently, because no one freaked out the first time... and because it's 'fun'.

Lovely reasoning there.
yeah this. Based on the interview, it sounds like the guy wants to kill off Hellboy for the sake of sensationalism.

"Nobody noticed the last time I killed Hellboy so I'm going to do it again. This time it will be glorious and everyone will finally notice, hmm yes!"

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
Good. I like it when these things actually have AN ENDING, rather than just petering off and stagnating for decades.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Kinda just seem like hes saying "you guys didn't buy more copies the last time we killed him. So this time he's gonna be dead Fo Reelz, and were telling you so you will go buy more copies."

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
Never really read Hellboy, can't seem to find any comic stores in my city, but damn! Ron Pearlman makes a good baby of Satan...

But still, sad to see one of the good non-Marvel or DC characters go.

Smasngrab

Apr 23, 2009
I figgure theres two posibilities, either Hellboy hangs around like a ghost, or theres the whole going to hell gig, no way theyr removing him.