Mike Mignola's Killing Off Hellboy

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
airrazor7 said:
Asuka Soryu said:
They're killing the character permanently, because no one freaked out the first time... and because it's 'fun'.

Lovely reasoning there.
yeah this. Based on the interview, it sounds like the guy wants to kill off Hellboy for the sake of sensationalism.

"Nobody noticed the last time I killed Hellboy so I'm going to do it again. This time it will be glorious and everyone will finally notice, hmm yes!"
Maybe it's hard to accept, but creators sometimes get sick of their own characters. Maybe Mike Mignola just wants to move on to other projects or focus on different characters in the Hellboy universe. I don't think he's doing it just to be sensationalist. If that were the case, wouldn't he be resurrecting the character pretty much immediately a la the 5 dozen or so deaths of Superman?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
WHY WOULD HE SPOIL THIS? I DON'T UNDERSTAND! D: D: D:

Now it's not even a shocker, it's just going to be annoying. Damn, Hellboy is just about my favorite ongoing comic series ever. I didn't realize he was going to go out like a punk.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
SemiHumanTarget said:
Actually, I agree because I was thinking the same thing. The guy sounds like he's tired of it and it's really not that hard to accept. A writer will get tired of projects and will want to move on to something else.

Also no, I don't think that if he is doing it for sensationalism's sake, he would immediately resurrect Hellboy because that is the very issue he has a problem with as stated in the article.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Mister Benoit said:
Uhhhhh.... Spoiler?

What incentive does anyone have of reading this now. We already know he's going to die.

While reading Sandman if anyone would've spoiled anything for me I would of seriously punched them. Is this his idea of how to attract more readers to a character.... BY KILLING HIM???
Who reads just for the conclusion of something? It's not the end that matters, but how they got there. Otherwise people would just pick things up in bookstores, flip to the last page and walk out feeling contented.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
I like the character and the idea behind him, althought I've never read a comic or book involving him. I'd like to. I think I should find reviews on the series and start buying the trade paperbacks.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I still dont get why he's announcing that he is gonna kill hellboy off. Isn't the entire point on the main character's death to create a shocking and unexpected moment. Where's the shock if we know he's gonna die at some point?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They will kill him and BOOM end of the word as the apocalyse begins. Would be awesome. Now where is Hellboy 3?

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
How is this a surprise? Mignola pretty much made it clear he was going to kill off Hellboy back when he was outlining the difference between his Hellboy and del Toro's. "My Hellboy will never have kids or happy endings" and all that. From a narrative standpoint it's pretty clear that this character's destiny was always to die, it's the whole reason why he exists. I'm just glad that he's actually following through on it.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
Mister Benoit said:
Uhhhhh.... Spoiler?

What incentive does anyone have of reading this now. We already know he's going to die.
it seems he didn't think this through
PunkRex said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW MAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!! I just started reading the poxy things... well we still have The Goon movie to look forward to.
It gets more awesome every time I see it *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*!
you sur just gave me another movie to watch

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
Uhhhhh.... Spoiler?

While reading Sandman if anyone would've spoiled anything for me I would of seriously punched them. Is this his idea of how to attract more readers to a character.... BY KILLING HIM???

Worked for Captain America, and one member of the Fantastic Four (I only saw they were doing this never saw who though)

Ohh well never was a big fan of the comics anyway

Panda Mania

Jul 1, 2009
Woah. Is that even allowed, killing off a comic book (er, graphic novel?) character FOR REALZ? I mean, aren't the writers contractually obligated to wait a bit, then go "Oh JK, guys! He was just, um, trapped in this alternate reality and so it wasn't really HIM dying, only his self from the lesser dimension, which had been oppressing his true identity since issue #16, when the time-force broke the barrier separating the Veils of Paradox and unleashed all...."

Yeah, you get the point. Still...that's harsh, Mignola. :\

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
beefpelican said:
Mister Benoit said:
Uhhhhh.... Spoiler?

On that note
Sandman also dies. Sorry.
Wow dude, you're just a dick. I've finished the series and such already but you still suck. Did people constantly shit on you as a kid and ruined everything you liked?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
lol do they always announce these things...

can't remember if they told people beforehand that Captain America was gonna get sniped in the head...or they just let people read about it find out... ah man well I don't read enough comics to know

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Have to say I really wonder how they'll do it... in the comics, very little seems to slow Hellboy down and he's killed major mythological figures of pretty much every culture (Baba Yaga, Egyptien Gods, etc) - they're going to need a team up that puts the one that killed Chuck Norris to shame in the 'ultimate showdown of epic destiny' to do him in.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Kill off Hellboy eh?
And then what? Realize he was money worthy and "resurrect" him? I swear...

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
And then Mike pulls a fast one and kills Abe instead, leaving Hellboy totally unscathed.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
beefpelican said:
Mister Benoit said:
Uhhhhh.... Spoiler?

On that note
Sandman also dies. Sorry.
Wow dude, you're just a dick. I've finished the series and such already but you still suck. Did people constantly shit on you as a kid and ruined everything you liked?
Sorry, I figured that you were done, but I guess I didn't know for sure.

As for killing Hellboy, I'm not sure if I would mind Mignola doing so. It's an incredibly well done, very original series, and if Mignola has decided that it is time for the character to go, then I'm sure it's because it best serves the plot. It's kind of like how Monty Python stopped doing comedy because they didn't want to repeat themselves. I'm not sure why he announced it ahead of time though. Maybe it's supposed to make it more of an inevitable tragedy. Kind of like Hamlet or Othello, you know it's going to go poorly for everyone involved from the beginning, so it makes it all the more tragic when the heroes are powerless to escape their fate.
What do you think?