Miles Morales, Spider-Girl, Spider-Ham & More in Ultimate Spider-Man Season 3

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Miles Morales, Spider-Girl, Spider-Ham & More in Ultimate Spider-Man Season 3

Disney XD's popular Spidey cartoon gets a "Spider-Verse" story of its own

Spider-Man has been having a rough time [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134398-Friday-Box-Office-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-Drops-Big-in-Second-Weekend] at the movies, but he's been doing pretty well for himself in animation. Now, it's looking like the cartoon Spidey is looking to get even more ambitious.

Marvel Comics is gearing up for a big November event series titled Spider-Verse, [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51683] which will see the Peter Parker of Earth 616 (aka "mainstream" Marvel Universe) crossing paths with multiple other Spider-Men from various alternate timelines and parallel dimensions. But before that, a slightly different Spider-Verse story is coming to the third season of Disney XD's popular animated series Ultimate Spider-Man.

The series (which, unlike Sony's live-action Amazing Spider-Man movies, allows Spidey to interact with other Marvel fixtures like S.H.I.E.L.D, The Avengers and The X-Men) is set to return August 31st with a new title, Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors, and a new focus on larger, more involved storylines. One such story, said to spread across the first half of the season, will see Peter Parker meeting many of the more popular "other Spider-Men" from the comics - some familiar, some new and some slightly reimagined.

Details are being kept to a minimum so far, but appearances have already been confirmed for the gritty Spider-Man Noir, Spider-Man 2099 (whose future world will be realized through a distinct computer-animation style), a new Spider-Girl from a gender-reversed universe named Petra Parker and even Peter Porker: Spider-Ham [http://marvel.wikia.com/Peter_Porker_(Earth-8311)] - a cult-fave character from Marvel's 1980s kid-friendly animal comics.

The biggest news, however, will be the appearance of Miles Morales, [http://marvel.wikia.com/Miles_Morales_(Earth-1610)] a Black/Latino teenager who became the new Spider-Man of the "Ultimate" comics-universe shortly after the death of "Ultimate" Peter Parker. A controversial but also popular recent addition to the Spider-Man mythos, Web Warriors will be Morales' first appearance outside of the comics.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors is currently set for an August 31 debut on Disney XD.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/06/16/ultimate-spider-man-web-warriors-animated-exclusive/10626739/]

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Ugh. I wish I could be happier about this, but I just don't like Ulimate Spider-man. Maybe it's all the cutaway jokes, but I think there's a limit to random humor, even when it comes to Peter Parker.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
This would be exciting if it were anything besides Ultimate Spiderman. That cartoon made Spiderman the most annoying asshole that I have ever seen in a superhero cartoon and the idea of watching a cartoon series where there will suddenly be ten more clones of him makes me dread it even more.

Worst of all, they will probably change Mile's backstory to make it kid friendly and in a terrible way. The TV series is incapable of talking about anything serious for more than ten seconds before WACKY COMMENTARY rears its ugly face and ruins any chance of an emotional moment.

... I irrationally hate this children's cartoon to a ridiculous degree.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I donno I'm actually really into the Amazing spider-man comics at the moment (Not the movie or the game which is becoming an increasingly important distinction it seems). But this series seems to be a bit different in terms of tone, which I don't know if I care for so much. Miles Morales being there is cool I guess. People really like him so it makes sense.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
So are they keeping Spider-girl/spider-woman's backstory from the ultimate universe? Because she is basically a gender bender clone of peter parker who has his memories and is likely the most interesting character in the ultimate universe currently (in my opinion) I doubt they will for a kids tv show but still I think they should.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
What, no Mayday Parker? Got me all excited there for a second.

Seeing Miles Morales in action is pretty important, my biggest beef with the Ultimate Spider Man cartoon was basically taking the name and doing nothing with it.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I just noticed now and I'm not sure if this is intentional but there is no spider-girl comics (accept 3 issues from the spider island arc) on comixology...

Wasn't there a really long running spider-girl series? if you google it tones of images come up, but the actual comics seem noticeably absent.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Spider girl does have the silliest looking pose that only a female character would be drawn in. Also I did not even read the writer's name and I could tell it was Bob. His hate for the Amazing Spider-man films is honestly just depressing. The newest film has an average score of 7.4 on imdb and it has made 700 million dollars at the box office. The picture in the article clearly shows you are talking about the cartoon so you don't need to open with Spidey is doing badly at the box office and then bring up the fact that the cartoon exists in the marvel universe with other marvel characters. It adds nothing.

Onto the main topic I don't really watch the show but the multi spider-man idea sounds fine, I would even laugh if the Spider-man from Spectacular Spider-man appeared.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
So, if they're including 2099 and Noir, will we get that japanese Spider-Man with the giant robot?

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Okay, I'm liking Spider-Girl probably way too much...

Ahem, that said, what's up with that pose? I'd almost say it's Rob Liefeld-like, but you can clearly see her feet.
All the Spider-People have hilariously weird posing, so normally I wouldn't bother bitching about anatomy but isn't it just SO CONVENIENT that we can see her boobs and ass at the same time?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
gah apparently this is spider-girl not spider-woman very depressing. I keep waiting for someone to give her, her own comic series.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Wait, is Miles the one in the black costume? The one that has normal pants and friggin' combat boots? What happened to that awesome black and red costume he had? I don't read the comics, but that suit was cool. Why would they replace it with that?

Anyway, like a few people here, I won't be watching it. I don't like Ultimate either, partially out of spite from it being the product of Spectacular's cancellation and partially because I just don't like it.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
ShirowShirow said:

Seeing Miles Morales in action is pretty important, my biggest beef with the Ultimate Spider Man cartoon was basically taking the name and doing nothing with it.
I know what you mean: If they were already going to bring in Spiderman 2099, why couldn't they do some timey-wimey stuff and bring in Mayday? It seems like there'd be a few opportunities for some witty banter between them. (EDIT: By "them" I mean Spidey 616 and Mayday.) Plus, I'm interested in what they'd do with Miles; there's a lot of potential there and I'm curious as to where they'd go with him.

Akiraking said:
Spider girl does have the silliest looking pose that only a female character would be drawn in. Also I did not even read the writer's name and I could tell it was Bob. His hate for the Amazing Spider-man films is honestly just depressing. The newest film has an average score of 7.4 on imdb and it has made 700 million dollars at the box office. The picture in the article clearly shows you are talking about the cartoon so you don't need to open with Spidey is doing badly at the box office and then bring up the fact that the cartoon exists in the marvel universe with other marvel characters. It adds nothing.

Onto the main topic I don't really watch the show but the multi spider-man idea sounds fine, I would even laugh if the Spider-man from Spectacular Spider-man appeared.
1. I agree with you about the posing; it's ridiculous. There's plenty of room there for her to stretch and shoot webbing and just look cool, but they go with this stupid bull again.
2. Just because imdb likes it does not mean that Bob has to like it. He's a movie reviewer; if he thinks something is shit, he probably has a good reason to think so. Also, the amount of money a movie earns does NOT indicate quality. You know what movie also has an average imdb rating of 7+ and earned hundreds of millions of dollars? The shitty-ass Michael Bay Transformers movie. TF1 was rated 7.2 and grossed $318 mil, TF2 was rated 6.0 and grossed $402 mil, and TF3 was rated 6.4 and grossed $352 mil. And all three of those were shit.

OT: HAH! Spider-Ham! I don't watch Disney XD, but I hope it turns out well. Also...who the hell is the guy in the lower right? Spider-Knight? EDIT #2: Two hundredth post! Took me forever! ....[small][sub]I gotta stop lurking so much[/sub][/small]...

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
LG Jargon said:
ShirowShirow said:
1. I agree with you about the posing; it's ridiculous. There's plenty of room there for her to stretch and shoot webbing and just look cool, but they go with this stupid bull again.
2. Just because imdb likes it does not mean that Bob has to like it. He's a movie reviewer; if he thinks something is shit, he probably has a good reason to think so. Also, the amount of money a movie earns does NOT indicate quality. You know what movie also has an average imdb rating of 7+ and earned hundreds of millions of dollars? The shitty-ass Michael Bay Transformers movie. TF1 was rated 7.2 and grossed $318 mil, TF2 was rated 6.0 and grossed $402 mil, and TF3 was rated 6.4 and grossed $352 mil. And all three of those were shit.

OT: HAH! Spider-Ham! I don't watch Disney XD, but I hope it turns out well. Also...who the hell is the guy in the lower right? Spider-Knight? EDIT #2: Two hundredth post! Took me forever! ....[small][sub]I gotta stop lurking so much[/sub][/small]...

Okay I think you read Akiraking's comment wrong. Bob attacks ASM2 by linking to his own article saying that it's performing poorly at the boxoffice and has a negative reception among audiences. Akiraking refutes this which is true as ASM2 is currently the 2nd highest grossing film of the year and has a 7.4 on imdb which shows that the film is not doing poorly with the real world audience.

This has nothing to do with Bob's opinion on the film.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Spectacular Spider-Man or gtfo.

I was a huge Spider-Man fan as a kid watching the 90s animated series, and after rewatching it few years ago and realizing that it really doesn't hold up, Spectacular Spider-Man picked me right up and made me a fan again. That series was only thing Spider-Man I've seen that seemed to actually be interested into the characters AND making a coherent story. Spider-Man 2 was great as well but mostly just fireworks.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Sound like a cool event but it's a shame that crapy version of the Spiderman Show get to used it instead of Spectacular Spider-man (ok Spider TAS had something similar with their Secret War saga).

Also what up with Miles costume? I try looking for that new costume of his but I got no results.

By the way that link to the Spiderverse does not work.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
youji itami said:
LG Jargon said:
ShirowShirow said:

Okay I think you read Akiraking's comment wrong. Bob attacks ASM2 by linking to his own article saying that it's performing poorly at the boxoffice and has a negative reception among audiences. Akiraking refutes this which is true as ASM2 is currently the 2nd highest grossing film of the year and has a 7.4 on imdb which shows that the film is not doing poorly with the real world audience.

This has nothing to do with Bob's opinion on the film.
Pretty much what Youji itami says, I was probably not being clear in what I said but Movie Bob always decides if he does not like something then in general no one likes it. For instance he once said Man of Steel is universally reviled where it was more polarizing with half of reviewers liking it and the other half disliking it. Also why did LG Jargon only include the Transformers domestic earnings. I always found it amazing that world wide the third one made 1.1 billion dollars. I mean even if you hate it that is an amazing amount of money.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
ShirowShirow said:
Instead we get Petra "Rubber-Spine" Parker.

This is pretty shit, and I'm certainly not going to let Miguel O'Hara lure me into watching this show again. >_>