Minecraft Builds Itself a Free Demo

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft Builds Itself a Free Demo

Mojang has finally released a free demo of the full Minecraft experience.

If you're one of the Minecraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109044-Minecraft-Sales-Figures-Reveal-33-Million-in-Diamonds] yet, or even worse, ever heard of Minecraft, now there's an easy way to remedy that. Mojang has released a free demo so players can get the full Minecraft experience without having to fork over a single unit of the smallest denomination of their region's currency.

The demo gives players 90 minutes in a brand new Minecraft world. Every feature available in Minecraft is available in the demo. After 90 minutes, you'll either have to buy the game or say "bye bye" to whatever you've built. Players can evidently create as many new worlds as they wish, however.

Minecraft already has a free mode, dubbed Minecraft Classic, but it's very out of date and doesn't give players much to do besides running around and placing blocks. The current paid version of Minecraft was recently updated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109392-Notch-Releases-Minecraft-1-5-with-Weather-Rails] to version 1.5 with the addition of weather, new rails, and the beginning of growing achievement and statistic tracking systems.

PC Gamer has the exclusive on the demo for now, so if you'd like to download it, go here [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/download-the-minecraft-demo/]. I'm pretty sure that 75% of you already have Minecraft running in the background right now, but perhaps someone will have the need for this demo someday.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/04/19/download-the-minecraft-demo/]

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
ya know, i just might get bored enough to try this now. we shall see. i hope i don't enjoy it. i really do. because then i'll be one of "those people".

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
FINALLY!! I've been pining for this ever since I heard about MineCraft. Can't wait to try this out when I get home. Better start reading up on some tutorials while I'm at work.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Excellent. I actually haven't played the game yet, just needed a reason. I'm sure I'll love it.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Heh, I assumed they were waiting for some kind of tutorial till a demo was released. Now they have achievments to help guide newbies along a little bit a demo can work. Without a little guidance people that haven't heard of it yet could get frustrated and quit.

Dec 14, 2009
Huh? What?

I'm too busy building a massive bloody rail track to take notice of your petty news updates!

[HEADING=1]MINECRAFT![/HEADING]

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Good idea.

But in all honesty, I can't bring myself to play it anymore. It's lost it's charm.

Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to download mods and maps.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
For a second I thought you were gonna say the guy that built the computer in minecraft got that computer to run minecraft, setting up a hilarious recursion and "Yo dawg"...

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
I'm on Mac, ah, Goddamn... I want to try out the full version.
iirc minecraft works on all os, linux is a bit more finicky, but otherwise should work on mac, assuming you have the hardware to run it.
HankMan said:
I'm trying to avoid minecraft until the summer honestly. I'm not the type who can balance time effectively. But if it's just 90 minutes...
Don't do it. It always starts at 90 minutes. It makes it worse when your creations go away, it'll spur you on to load a new world and to try again, but the inevitable count down to 0 will frustrate you. Then you will cave in.

And then. You will be one of us, one of us, gooble gobble, gooble gobble, we accept you, we accept you, one of us one of us gooble gobble gooble gobble.

[sub]if the video doesn't load, that's because I'm on a computer that has youtube blocked, so I had to try to grab the link via google, meaning the link may be incomplete)[/sub]

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Kalezian said:
first an hour and a half of building, then its gone, dismayed you try to build something bigger before your time runs out, then its gone,
That's how it got me. During the free servers-overloaded weekend when it first caught fire, I decided to play it to see what the big deal was, and by the end of the weekend I just couldn't bear to let my little hidey-hole in the side of a hill go. I mean, I'd just built a dirt bridge across the river valley outside, how could I stop there?

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
HankMan said:
I'm trying to avoid minecraft until the summer honestly. I'm not the type who can balance time effectively. But if it's just 90 minutes...
You might want to wait for the summer then, Minecraft is nearly as bad as Civilization when it comes to 'ten more minutes' :D

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
its nice he's got a demo now but the only reason i (and most of my friends, all of which i introduced) have minecraft is because of randomly finding a survival tutorial/LP on youtube.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
deth2munkies said:
For a second I thought you were gonna say the guy that built the computer in minecraft got that computer to run minecraft, setting up a hilarious recursion and "Yo dawg"...
I thought it was going to be that, too!

And that island in that picture? I want it. I want it now. I just want to climb all over it and gaze across the ocean from the top.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I started playing the demo and people were right when they said it was almost nothing like the classic version. I knew to bunker myself in for the night, but didn't expect some assbag of a creature to shoot arrows at me through my peephole. I'll likely go through the demo some more, but I still havn't decided if I will buy the full version. Maybe this summer once I've exhausted all my games and I'm looking for something different.