MineCraft Goes Ghibli in Custom Map

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Good freaking GOD that portion of the world dedicated to Spirited Away is BEAUTIFUL.

I will definitely need to download this map and visit it, I'm not a giant fan of most of those movies, but that music and the quality of the design made me nostalgia hard for Spirited Away...

...Wonder if they even went so far as to add the 'gateway' from the real world to the spirit world.

EDIT: Also had this happen
>One Summer's Day starts playing (Spirited Away theme)
>Start tearing up
>Key piano notes start up
>Full on cry

There's a lot in that movie that just 'gets' to me. ;_;

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
And this is why I won't play Minecraft. The subtitle may as well be "Anything you can do, these guys can obliterate"
And that music will be in my head for weeks now. I need to go watch Totoro again.

JDviewer

Mar 3, 2009
Wow! I love both the studio ghibli movies and minecraft, but never thought about how well they could cross over! Laputa was amazing, made my attempt at a floating castle look like a joke. I love how much I recognised the sections from the movies.

Now I all I have to do is to download that plane mod that I saw around on the forums and change my characters skin to Porco Rosso. Then my life will be complete.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
I just want to know what texture pack that is...

Seriously though, that's amazing. Wish I was that good at MC.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I loved it. I was worried throughout the whole video that they wouldn't include Porco Rosso. Then I saw his plane at the end and all was well.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I want to download the map, but I can't read Korean! Anyone want to help me out?? D:

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
That is a truely amazing peice of work, but it's not working for me.

Can someone please explain to me what I'm looking at? I know it's a recreation of something, but without context, there's no real gauge of scale.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
I think I just had a small aneurysm from the level of awesome. The level of detail is astounding.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
kortin said:
I want to download the map, but I can't read Korean! Anyone want to help me out?? D:
It's here. It says schematic but the whole map is there. http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/-minecraft-ghibli-world-/

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
TheEvilCheese said:
kortin said:
It's here. It says schematic but the whole map is there. http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/-minecraft-ghibli-world-/
Oh, I'm stupid. Haha, thanks :D

CheesyGrin1992

Mar 14, 2011
Just spent the last couple of hours exploring this world. The level of detail is astounding. Every house is furnished. The airships that you really shouldn't be able to reach have full interiors, control panels, etc. It's incredible. And it makes me want to crack out all of the Studio Ghibli films in one huge back-to-back marathon...

Oh, and to anyone else who's exploring; please, please don't press the liberation button in the garden in Laputa. Not unless you still have the original file. Trust me on this.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm blown away. I wonder if Notch could imagine his project would not only make him rich but also be used to create this kind of beauty.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
I'm spewing rainbows right now. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo, awesome!
Where can you get the texture pack for this?

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
CheesyGrin1992 said:
Just spent the last couple of hours exploring this world. The level of detail is astounding. Every house is furnished. The airships that you really shouldn't be able to reach have full interiors, control panels, etc. It's incredible. And it makes me want to crack out all of the Studio Ghibli films in one huge back-to-back marathon...

Oh, and to anyone else who's exploring; please, please don't press the liberation button in the garden in Laputa. Not unless you still have the original file. Trust me on this.
Trust him. And me. Don't push it.

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
That is a truely amazing peice of work, but it's not working for me.

Can someone please explain to me what I'm looking at? I know it's a recreation of something, but without context, there's no real gauge of scale.
This might help, grabbed it from the youtube comments:
0:13 - 1:11 Laputa: Castle in the Sky - "The Girl Who Fell From the Sky"

1:14 - 1:47 My Neighbor Totoro - "The Path of Wind"

1:49 - 2:28 Howl's Moving Castle - "Stroll Through the Sky"

2:30 - 3:00 Spirited Away - "One Summer's Day"

3:03 to 3:08 Porco Rosso (his airplane)

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I do believe these people just won the internet, by combining two of the greatest things ever (Studio Ghibli movies and Minecraft).