MineCraft Masters Explain How They Rebuilt Rapture

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Penny Arcade, hmm? I wonder which of Gabe or Tycho are getting the mentality of Andrew Ryan in this venture. I will have to keep an eye on if they do a comic on this.

FlayD

Dec 11, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Penny Arcade, hmm? I wonder which of Gabe or Tycho are getting the mentality of Andrew Ryan in this venture. I will have to keep an eye on if they do a comic on this.
Gabe and Tycho don't read the PA forums, this was all the community.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
Pretty awesome, but somehow I feel this:

is better.
Copied from M.A.C's dropbox

Escapist: Minecraft Appreciation Club [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Minecraft-Appreciation-Club]

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Tdc2182 said:
halkun said:
Tdc2182 said:
It was some real magic that went into that,

But I have to say... I was a little disheartened when I realized it wasn't actually underwater. Kinda killed it for me.
It is underwater. Where did you get the information that it wasn't?
I saw the video. Technically most of the structure is under water, but it is done by putting infinite streams on top of the constructs. They just put waterfalls over each window. It isn't in any ocean or large body of water.

There is a part where he is looking around from the top of the city and walks into one of the infinite springs. He goes outside momentarily, and you see that almost all of it is outside water.
Taken from the Cartogrpaher map of the Penny Arcade Server.
That all looks underwater to me, unless I'm missing something.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
Amazing, but with the very limited items that are available in Alpha mode (not to mention that they're more or less medieval based) it was a bit of a let down with regards to the signs. I had a little trouble recognizing things that weren't extremely iconic or had little sound clips to go with them.

I only play single player myself, (I personally don't see why the game can't allow system link: computer>>>>>computer instead of computer>>>>>>server<<<<<<<computer, thus allowing people to mutiplayer and single player all on one map) and how in the hell did they have those items? how does a person create the bioshock nail gun or the wrench? I've got the complete list of constructable items with me and those sure aren't on the list. Is a person able to create custom items on certain servers or something? I wish there was some sort of real explanative guide out there that made it all clear.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Great work - both in size and quality. This totally made my day - and it reminds me that I really need to find time to play Bioshock soon. I purchased it not too long ago and haven't had time to play it that much yet.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Am I the only one who wasn't wowed by Bioshock?
One of the more forgettable big-name FPSes I've played.
I thought it was good, but not as much as the hype made it out to be.

gjendemsjo

May 11, 2010
NO FORT FROLIC!

But seriously though, this was amazing, really looking forward to future projects by the creators of this map.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Seriously this is amazing. With the resent update adding light blocks think of how the city could be "upgraded". Mysterious glows, artificial dynamic lighting and we could see underwater.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
congratulations to whomever did this.
I feel like a gigantic tool but it's: "Congratulations to him, he did this" so it's "whoever".

Edit: This is awesome. Gold blocks? I bow before his mining prowess.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Akalabeth said:
Ralen-Sharr said:
Akalabeth said:
Am I the only one who wasn't wowed by Bioshock?
One of the more forgettable big-name FPSes I've played.
I thought it was good, but not as much as the hype made it out to be.
The biggest problem with me for that game si that the story is all after the fact. Look at something like Half Life or Doom 3, and you see the facility, however briefly before it all goes to shit. Rapture is supposed to be a cool place, but when the player gets there it's just a ghost town like any other FPS. So why should I care? No sense of loss.

Also when the game's ending was so black or white, I felt a disconnect myself. I wasn't totally good, I killed a couple girls but saved most of them. But in the end I get the bad ending. Wasn't me quite frankly.
I think you have a very good point. I really was wondering why I should give a crap about Rapture when I had just arrived. When I went down it was a craphole, and when I left it was a craphole with more dead stuff in it, and a few less wierd looking little girls. (since they left with me @ the end)

I really didn't feel like Bioshock was an RPG type experience. The one part where I could interact with someone that didn't involve killing them, I did anyway because I was sure at some point he was going to turn on me like EVERYTHING else.