Minecraft Menu Drops the N-Bomb

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Well...I'm Afrikaans, but I doubt I'd play it on Afrikaans. I don't know why, but I just prefer reading and playing things in English. Perhaps its the Imperialist Nothern-Western Hemisphere trying to opress my culture!!!! That or I just don't give a crap about what language I use.

Besides English will get you a bit farther than Afrikaans EVEN IN SOUTH-AFRIKA!!!

EDIT: Fun fact: Afrikaans is the world's youngest language :p

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I know a fair few black people, and they did nothing but laugh when they saw this. SO I don't know who's finding this offensive, but whatthefuckever.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I just shook my head when I saw this. It was either done by an idiot racist or just an idiot. Either way it's hardly something worth getting worked up about it. If Notch had done it then yeah but it's just some random.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
ok I might come off as a bit stupid but isn't n***er an offensive term towards african americans not people who are from africa

Garethp

Jun 14, 2011
I'd like to point out that there's a candy in South Africa called ****** Balls. No point to this piece of information, just thought I'd point it out

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Pat8u said:
ok I might come off as a bit stupid but isn't n***er an offensive term towards african americans not people who are from africa
The translation used the Afrikaans equivalent to n**er, which considering apartheid isn't over all that long ago is actually regarded as more offensive in South Africa.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Funny but come on there's funnier things to say, much funnier. "Play with yourself" come on that'd be cheesy and funny.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
albino boo said:
Pat8u said:
The translation used the Afrikaans equivalent to n**er, which considering apartheid isn't over all that long ago is actually regarded as more offensive in South Africa.
Just to add to that, the N word is considered offensive everywhere in the English-speaking world. The K word is hugely offensive everywhere in southern Africa, not just the RSA.

Also the translation apparently used the N word, presumably they were on the lookout for the K word.

Thirdly, if I remember my Afrikaans, "Gaan spiel met jouself" would have been quite funny, in an immature sort of way.

Garethp said:
I'd like to point out that there's a candy in South Africa called N***** Balls. No point to this piece of information, just thought I'd point it out
Only racist idiots call them that.

Garethp

Jun 14, 2011
Garethp said:
I'd like to point out that there's a candy in South Africa called N***** Balls. No point to this piece of information, just thought I'd point it out
Only racist idiots call them that.[/quote]

Saw them in the shops. It's their actual name. Like, the name printed on the box. I, being and raised in Australia, seeing them in a South African shop, just went "What. The. Fuck". I always thought my mother was just making racist jokes till I saw it with my own eyes

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
Lumber Barber said:
Aw come on guys, it's just a joke.
My Jewish friends laugh with me all the time when I tell jokes about them.
it maybe a joke, and a poor attempt at that, the question is NOT about that, but Mojang's PR, and this (severely?) damaged it

C F

Jan 10, 2012
Mojang, I am disappoint. Again, because the joke isn't even close to being well thought out. I know game devs can be a lot more subtle than that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Grey Carter said:
from Mojang. The game is currently playable in 56 different languages, including a few humorous, made-up ones, like 'Pirate,' 'Canadian English' and 'French.'
Farnsworth: "Right now my universal translator only translates into some strange, unheard of dead language. Watch. "Hello." "
Translator: "Bonjour."
Farnsworth: "CRAZY JIBBERISH!"

Getting back on topic, gotta say that is a rather devious troll-move...though pesonally I would have laughed harder if someone pulled this off on WoW or something. Wouldn't even have to be overly offensive like an N bomb...just instead of saying "Log In" perhaps someone could make it say "Get a life you frickin' tool." :p

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Garethp said:
Saw them in the shops. It's their actual name. Like, the name printed on the box. I, being and raised in Australia, seeing them in a South African shop, just went "What. The. Fuck". I always thought my mother was just making racist jokes till I saw it with my own eyes
Unfortunately there are still a lot of racist idiots in South Africa. And bad blood which causes otherwise sane and sensible people of all creeds to act like racist idiots. One of the many reasons I left the country. The "Rainbow Nation" is still only a dream.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
C F said:
Mojang, I am disappoint. Again, because the joke isn't even close to being well thought out. I know game devs can be a lot more subtle than that.
You realise it wasn't Mojang that did this?

The really ironic thing is that Africaans is mostly spoken by White south africans.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Not sure how this is offensive, in Africa.

Wasn't 'the n-word' used primarily black slaves in America?