Minecraft Menu Drops the N-Bomb

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
The game is currently playable in 56 different languages, including a few humorous, made-up ones, like 'Pirate,' 'Canadian English' and 'French.'
i applaud your sense of humour.

als the pranskter must be really sad if he couldn't come up with anything better.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I don't find it funny at all. It's a poor attempt of being it.

I find it quite sad when racial slurs are suppose to be humours.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
A French joke? Really? Again?

*sighs*

I'm not offended and I'm glad the N-word issue has been taken care of, but being from Quebec, I just don't understand why people poke and prod at that language, especially when they somehow join that with the stereotypical Yves Montand/Pépé LePew accent.

It's a tired joke, in my humble opinion.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Formica Archonis said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I think it's safe to say that the N word is offensive to any race; as there are versions of it for most non-white races.
If we're talking slurs based on skin color then whites are certainly not exempt. No group is exempt from bigotry.
Not really what I said; it's just that that slur isn't used towards them much. There's more 'chromatically attuned' slurs used for Caucasians.
Something even more trippy: I did some research, and if I'm interpreting all this properly, then the term is actually Irish, maybe even archaic Gaelic.

As for this... it's like being on 4chan without actually being on 4chan.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Andrew_C said:
Offhand it seems odd that the troll used the N word when they could have used the K word. Which, if you can imagine, is considered even more offensive in South Africa than the N word is in America.

I suppose Mojang were looking out for Afrikaans swearwords and obscenities but forgot to check for other languages. I hope they are now checking all the translations, just to make sure no-one else has slipped a joker into the pile.

As they say in South Africa "Afrikaans is 'n foklekker vloektaal!"
There's a K-word?

You are Kiggers?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Wilbot666 said:
The day 4chan came to Minecraft....
..... I don't know if you know this, but a lot of thing that have been added to Minecraft became so because of 4chan. Notch was an avid reader and poster on 4chan's video game board until he moved over to Reddit.

OT: Okay? So the word ****** got added in by someone who thought it would be a riot when all it did was invoke no emotion from anyone whatsoever. Congratulations all around.

Renegrade

Jan 18, 2012
Andrew_C said:
I suppose Mojang were looking out for Afrikaans swearwords and obscenities but forgot to check for other languages.
No, they're checking in the "Mojang" way.

As in no checking at all, release to community, and someone ELSE points it out. It's like crowd sourced verification!

The original translation itself is literally crowd-sourced, from a site called crowdin.

Crowd sourcing is the wave of the future! Lower quality, vandalism, less profit lost? I'm hearing "win/win" here!

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
thespyisdead said:
Lumber Barber said:
Aw come on guys, it's just a joke.
My Jewish friends laugh with me all the time when I tell jokes about them.
it maybe a joke, and a poor attempt at that, the question is NOT about that, but Mojang's PR, and this (severely?) damaged it
Proofreading, what's that? Seriously, with how much text is in the game how hard is it to briefly go over everything?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
How dare you imply the language of my people is made up, I for one proudly speak Canadian english!

[sub](It does exists, just a handful of different spelling for words. Like colour and theatre)[/sub]

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I find it hard to believe that someone would learn Afrikaans just so that they could be rasist in a video game.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
Grey Carter said:
including a few humorous, made-up ones, like 'Pirate,' 'Canadian English' and 'French.'
I have to say I laughed hard when I read this part.
I chortled as well. I am interested at what Canadian English looks like. I hope it isn't just normal English ending with "eh" every word =/

Honestly, the guy that did this could have done much better.
It would be a much better troll to change something that requires time and effort to make (like a set of diamond armour or a diamond pickaxe)
Changing the menu screen guarantees that your audience will see it, but that is just lvl 1 trolling: the "I am desperate for attention" kind.

Master Cylinder

Sep 14, 2011
I think this is hilarious just because there are probably more white people complaining about the slur than black people.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It sucks that Mojang will suffer bad PR cuz some asshole were messing around with some code. I guess they could have monitored it better, but given the amount of freedom they let people have, it's not surprising something slipped through.
Grey Carter said:
including a few humorous, made-up ones, like 'Pirate,' 'Canadian English' and 'French.'

Now I'd be lying if I said that the idea of contaminating a highly popular game's main menu with absurdly offensive expletives doesn't tickle my ever-so-slightly anarchic funny bone, but is "******, complete with caps, really the best this person could come up with? That's just sad, in a tired kind of way. It makes the low-brow gremlins who scrawl mustaches and crudely-drawn genitals on billboards look like Banksy [http://www.banksy.co.uk/].
Ah, Grey, I think I love you. I always laugh at your articles, but I lost it over that.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
RanD00M said:
Wilbot666 said:
The day 4chan came to Minecraft....
..... I don't know if you know this, but a lot of thing that have been added to Minecraft became so because of 4chan. Notch was an avid reader and poster on 4chan's video game board until he moved over to Reddit.
Ok, I'll admit that I did not know that. Doesn't make it any less puerile and potentially offensive though.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
IamQ said:
There's a K-word?
Yes there is a K word and no it doesn't rhyme with the N word.

Renegrade said:
No, they're checking in the "Mojang" way.

As in no checking at all, release to community, and someone ELSE points it out. It's like crowd sourced verification!

The original translation itself is literally crowd-sourced, from a site called crowdin.

Crowd sourcing is the wave of the future! Lower quality, vandalism, less profit lost? I'm hearing "win/win" here!
That's pretty slack. Even open source projects usually at least try to get translations verified before releasing them. And MineCraft is hardly a struggling open source project.

EDIT - usually try, that is

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Grey Carter said:
The game is currently playable in 56 different languages, including a few humorous, made-up ones, like 'Pirate,' 'Canadian English' and 'French.'
Woah, I take serious offense to that. Are you really calling that a made up language. I understand the other 2 languages but come on.

You know well Pirate is an official language and even has a holiday for such an occasion.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Scarecrow 8 said:
Huh, I have to admit that this is kinda funny. I'm not sure what else to say besides that. Offensive, but funny.
Same here, I mean, it is pretty bad, but I did chuckle a little bit when I saw it. Actually, I'll laugh at just about anything, I have a sensitive humor.