Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Valate said:
That's still much smaller than you're making it sound. Rivendell is roughly a weeks travel from Bree, even Weathertop is a good 48 hour hike. The Mines of Moria? That's a good month long journey from Bree. So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.
This is Minecraft, though. An hour travel distance is considered a ludicrous amount. They want to expand it, but they've hit the limit for map generation. Apparently after so far the random generation starts getting extremely odd, so Notch slapped on a limit.

I want a download of the map. D:
They aren't even close to where things start going wonky. However if they did do 1:1 ratio for distance, they would probably hit wonkyville at about Minas Tirith. But that's just a rough guess.

Something I just doublechecked as well, but on the Bridge where Gandalf confronted the Balrog, it spanned an empty and very deep chasm. There were no flames or lava below. These people need to proofread themselves. (The flames and lava were in a crack further back in the chamber that the Balrog leapt over.)

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Now I'll proceed to pick my jaw up off the floor...

OK, I really want to play on that world, it is insane. I wonder if they will put it up for download?

(and will my computer even fit it?)

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
FUCK! That's impressive. Time for a walk round Middle Earth, methinks (plus I really want to jump off the bridge of Kazad-Dum, shouting 'Fly, you fools!' in the process.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I'm not gonna lie. I'm pretty aroused by this.

I'm not even a Minecraft fan, but now that I've seen this... jesus...

I mean, this is a testament to hopeless nerdism. And I love it.

FoAmY99

Dec 8, 2009
Valate said:
That's still much smaller than you're making it sound. Rivendell is roughly a weeks travel from Bree, even Weathertop is a good 48 hour hike. The Mines of Moria? That's a good month long journey from Bree. So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.
Keep in mind however that minecraft characters don't get tired. They have infinite stamina, don't need to eat,and don't get slowed down too much by terrain as living characters would. So technically a weeks journey for an actual being could be only hours for a minecraft character continuously walking

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Awesome! I saw this video yesterday, and it blew my mind. To think, what would happen if these people were to concentrate their time on significantly less awesome things, like curing cancer?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
TestECull said:
One does not simply Minecraft into Mordor.
Ninja'd.

I honestly want to see how they make Mordor look though. The Mines were breathtaking; I'm sure they can make Mordor look 100 times more badass.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Ok.... just finished watching the whole video.

I can clearly say that my mind is freaking blown and that those guys are insane.

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
how can anyone hate on this, or say "meh?"

Its amazing! Then again I'm an LOTR nerd, probably will RP on this or at least explore :)

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I'm so proud of my fellow LotR fans *puffs with pride*. My mincraft skills are astoundingly poor, but I registered with them to help with the lore and stuff. Because they'll need it as most of the stuff about Middle-Earth is not in the LotR.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
SamuelT said:
One of the players is named after something of Inheritance.

I am no longer interested.

(Sillyness aside, this is a little admirable, and more than a little pityable.)
I do get tired of people calling big projects like this pathetic. You can do a lot if you put the time in. That doesn't mean you have to put in all your time all at once. These guys probably do have lives.

OT: I hope when this is finished, they make it into a downloadable map.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Every time I see stuff like this about Minecraft, I immediately think: "Wow, these people are really amazing and talented to do all of this." followed quickly with: "...and they are wasting their talent here."

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
Something I just doublechecked as well, but on the Bridge where Gandalf confronted the Balrog, it spanned an empty and very deep chasm. There were no flames or lava below. These people need to proofread themselves. (The flames and lava were in a crack further back in the chamber that the Balrog leapt over.)
They are working with the limits of Minecraft, they most likely hit bedrock right there and couldn't make the bottomless pit without opening up the void which would just be a bright blue area, which would just look odd.