Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

Pred The Penguin

Sep 11, 2010
If you think about it, it's actually not too disturbing. Everything on that server is the collective work of many, many, many people. Not saying that what they've achieved is any less grand...

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
OK, just how many people worked in this project? Because my brain melts at the concept of this being built by less than a thousand really REALLY dedicated minecraft gods.

Edit: OH GOD, look at this http://www.minecraftmiddleearth.com/worldmap you can look at the world in real time google-maps style. JUST LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!!!!! Did somebody send this video to Notch already?

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
Excellent. Now somebody needs to build a scale model of the galaxy from the Foundation series.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Dear lord, between this and the 3D Printer thing, I'm wondering how long it is until someone follows through on Notch's joking challenge to make a 1:1 model of Sweden...

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
The goofy guys voice sounds familiar. Like, I want him to say, "that's not natural fire," or some some panic-ridden screams.

The voice doesn't really match up until about 1:35 or so after he's done panicing. But I swear it's the same guy!

OT: This is an AMAZING feat! I could never commit this much effort to Minecraft. I knew that one day all my creations would crumble, as the game would eventually fade into oblivion. But my god... someone get the worlds records people on the phone. o_o

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Fiad said:
samsonguy920 said:
Something I just doublechecked as well, but on the Bridge where Gandalf confronted the Balrog, it spanned an empty and very deep chasm. There were no flames or lava below. These people need to proofread themselves. (The flames and lava were in a crack further back in the chamber that the Balrog leapt over.)
They are working with the limits of Minecraft, they most likely hit bedrock right there and couldn't make the bottomless pit without opening up the void which would just be a bright blue area, which would just look odd.
True enough. I would have filled the bottom with obsidian to just make it look like a black hole from the height of the bridge. I think I am done niggling about this, though.
thaluikhain said:

You mean the makers of Moria weren't able to delve too deep? Probably a good thing, really.
If it were truly based on Minecraft they would have broken through to the Nether and ended up with a gross of Ghasts.
Gandalf: You shall not pass!
Ghast:

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
The stage is set for the matrix. Now all we have to do is upload our consciousness to the server and live in a block-y Middle Earth for the rest of time.

Helios_(DEL)

Mar 22, 2010
Was i the only one that loled at how cool the players were working together and walked with eachother in there work of epicness?

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
saw this 2 days ago. My mind was blown just from seeing the Shire, then they jump to Rivendell and the Mines of Moria, and my mind re-exploded 10 times over. I'm still speechless.

These people deserve some sort of life time achievement award for this. Fuck the Nobel Prize, idk.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Valate said:
That's still much smaller than you're making it sound. Rivendell is roughly a weeks travel from Bree, even Weathertop is a good 48 hour hike. The Mines of Moria? That's a good month long journey from Bree. So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.
This is Minecraft, though. An hour travel distance is considered a ludicrous amount. They want to expand it, but they've hit the limit for map generation. Apparently after so far the random generation starts getting extremely odd, so Notch slapped on a limit.

I want a download of the map. D:
They aren't even close to where things start going wonky. However if they did do 1:1 ratio for distance, they would probably hit wonkyville at about Minas Tirith. But that's just a rough guess.

Something I just doublechecked as well, but on the Bridge where Gandalf confronted the Balrog, it spanned an empty and very deep chasm. There were no flames or lava below. These people need to proofread themselves. (The flames and lava were in a crack further back in the chamber that the Balrog leapt over.)
They mention in the video that the world is detailed from the descriptions in Tolkien's books, and I believe some of the games as well. Not the movies. It was just their choice I guess.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Cpt Corallis said:
AWWWW COME ON! I literally just finished building my scale model of Helm's Deep a week ago. And then they go and do this?!

I wish I could say not cool, but this is too awesome for me to be bitter.
Andy Chalk said:
"You guys are sick," the host said. "You need help."
This is pretty much the same response I got when I showed my friends Helm's deep.
Hmm... Maybe if you send them a message they will consider incorporating your Helm's Deep in the server? I assume they have theirs made already, but if yours is better I could see them changing them out (Minecraft editors ftw).

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
I want to get a minecraft account just to RP the shit out of this place, or at least walk around and take it all in. Can't wait to see Minas Morgul!

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
Honestly I wish they would just put it up to download and send us updates. I want to explore the shit out of it

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Burningsok said:
samsonguy920 said:
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Valate said:
That's still much smaller than you're making it sound. Rivendell is roughly a weeks travel from Bree, even Weathertop is a good 48 hour hike. The Mines of Moria? That's a good month long journey from Bree. So I'll say it's pretty huge, but nothing absolutely mind blowing.
This is Minecraft, though. An hour travel distance is considered a ludicrous amount. They want to expand it, but they've hit the limit for map generation. Apparently after so far the random generation starts getting extremely odd, so Notch slapped on a limit.

I want a download of the map. D:
They aren't even close to where things start going wonky. However if they did do 1:1 ratio for distance, they would probably hit wonkyville at about Minas Tirith. But that's just a rough guess.

They mention in the video that the world is detailed from the descriptions in Tolkien's books, and I believe some of the games as well. Not the movies. It was just their choice I guess.
I didn't mention the movies. The movies have too many miscrepancies to be proper references. I grew up reading the books from cover to cover. However, the movie Fellowship of the Ring was actually faithful to the novel as regards to the chamber containing the Bridge of Khazad-dum.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
That's... There are no words.

I remember seeing someone make a 1:1 scale model of the USS enterprise and thinking that he was a maniac. Then someone re-created the entire Kanto region. Then someone re-created A link to the past. Now someone has made middle-earth. ENTIRELY.

These aren't just representations, or little projects, these are people re-creating worlds. WORLDS. It's as if someone saw minecraft and thought... Here's a game that's huge on it's own... How do I make it even LARGER?

Fuck me, I'm doing the same thing. I'm building a giant floating island.