Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Mortoric said:
Ellen of Kitten said:
OT: This is an AMAZING feat! I could never commit this much effort to Minecraft. I knew that one day all my creations would crumble, as the game would eventually fade into oblivion. But my god... someone get the worlds records people on the phone. o_o

Does that also discourage you from doing anything in real life as well? Just sayin'
No, because the difference is what I do with my life will last. Even if I create things digitally, they will last. But creating a world in a video game, I don't expect to last for more than 10 years. That, and when ~I~ create in minecraft, I create for just myself. When I create in "real life," I go above just myself.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Blaster395 said:
"Please keep in kind you must be 16 or older to apply for the whitelist."
What a bunch of elitist ageists...

Well I certainly won't be able to see any of this stuff, they want to reserve it for some perceived over 16 'master race'.
The age limit is to prevent trolls, most trolls ARE between any age of start gaming to about 14 to where they stop with the realization no one needs pricks in games, and that it was never that funny to begin with. Also, kids wouldn't appreciate it in the slightest, so, again, age limit so people who have played enough of games can appreciate the great work in it.

BanicRhys said:
$10 says they never give us a download link and this has all just been one huge willy tease.
Thats probably not true, they even have a SITE for this thing, and followers, along with the teams names, email and ecetera, so them leaving out their ambitions when they made it this far would be a lie, also, from your picture, I'm guessing your a troll.

Silva said:
Shoelip said:
-snipped for space-
As far as I know, nothing has come close to this scale while maintaining this level of detail. At least from what I've seen from the video.
You reduce Oblivion to its world map and "a few dungeons"?
I find that odd, considering that it's also full of instances. You can enter every building and dungeon in the game. Inside every one of those, is objects, special artworks, different architecture (which is even mentioned in lore about different towns - this spot has influence from Skyrim, this building has stairs influenced by Morrowind design, etc).
Then there's the books you find in-game, full of at least a serious book's worth of information and lore that is (so far, in all my understanding of the game) completely consistent with and constantly building upon the world you walk around in, so it feels like part of an even larger planet.
That's only the tip of the iceberg. Think of all the invisible elements going into AAA titles today. Texture design. Concept artworks. 3D modelling, inch by inch, measurement by measurement, of everything unique and different.
I don't believe that detail has to be measured in blocks in order to be notable in an artwork, or in the preparation for a design. There isn't even sound effects and music design in this Minecraft project, and the amount of skill and detail in that alone in a AAA title is often staggering.
In any case, putting the same coloured block down a hundred thousand times does not a skilled design make. The detail isn't what is notable about this version of Middle-Earth - it's the pure dedication from those designing it even IF it takes putting down that same block again and again.
However, that dedication is not unique, and shouldn't be treated as unique on a whim. I think it's important to acknowledge the amazing work done on many AAA titles, for the sake of positivity and open-mindedness.
But your arguement falls flat once you find out Minecraft is a INDIE game, its engine is about building, but no one was quite sure of the scale, and now we KNOW the scale, and its the ability to build our OWN worlds. Most Triple AAA games don't allow you to build your own maps, LET ALONE your own worlds.

I think these guys made something amazing using Minecraft's engine to THE FULLIEST, and I really am hating people who are looking down on this, people, this was made in a INDIE game, a FUCKING INDIE game, you know, those things that take less then a million to make?

Tin Man said:
I had no interest in Minecraft, still don't, but this is just sad...

Christ knows how much time they wasted making this, but I pity each and every one of them. truly.

How much time do you think it'll be before someone makes a Death Star?
Been done, and what do you mean pity, its no different then building a house, these guys just made a internet house, so your pity ain't worth the pity.

Also, Deathstar has been done.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Watched the video all the way through and I'm not as excited for this anymore as it's an interpretation of the book and not the movies. Seeing and exploring Isengard in its full cinematic glory would be awesome, but seeing someone's interpretation of a few sentences of a book would not be.

Aprilgold said:
BanicRhys said:
$10 says they never give us a download link and this has all just been one huge willy tease.
Thats probably not true, they even have a SITE for this thing, and followers, along with the teams names, email and ecetera, so them leaving out their ambitions when they made it this far would be a lie, also, from your picture, I'm guessing your a troll.
You'd be wrong. (You're, not your btw.) And your definition of a troll is annoyingly wrong if you think that post was anything close to trolling just because my avatar isn't some mlp or anime crap.

Odegauger

Apr 7, 2010
It almost feels offensive to call this a waste of time. Considering all the people who just live their lives and die, the simple act of creating something real and unique like this pretty much automatically makes them more meaningful to the greater scheme of humanity than 99% of everyone else. I wouldn't call that a waste of time.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I like LotR. I like Middle Earth. I like Tolkien. I tried thinking how cool it would be to run around here until I realised how long it would take to get anywhere. My ears are bleeding!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh shit.

MINECRAFT PLAYERS BEWARE!!

Do not dig too deeply, too greedily. For you know what awaits you beneath the mountain's depths. Beware the Balrog...

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
And I find myself caring less aboutr this.

Okay, cool you redid middle-earth, good for you. But I just look at it and go meh.

Whih is not fair for them because it is impressive. I just don't care about it.
Well then dont post?
Personally this is epic... I mean.. Rly..

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
I probably missed it when I spot-checked through the video, but is there any estimate on just how many man-hours this nerdgasm cost?

AlwaystheUnlucky

Oct 5, 2010
If Tolkien was alive, would he approve?

Either way, this is awesome. And I would join the RP no matter how terrible it is. I'm thinking of being an orc Blacksmith. It's so contradictory it will be loads of fun!

Xelanath

Jan 24, 2009
BanicRhys said:
Watched the video all the way through and I'm not as excited for this anymore as it's an interpretation of the book and not the movies. Seeing and exploring Isengard in its full cinematic glory would be awesome, but seeing someone's interpretation of a few sentences of a book would not be.
There's plenty of supplementary material by Tolkien himself, not to mention widely recognised artwork by artists such as John Howe and Alan Lee (both of whom were subsequently concept artists on the film trilogy). There's plenty for these guys to work with, even without directly referencing the films.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Well they wont release the map according to the forums so I have no interest in this. Shame - Would've been fun to explore.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Next up...A real Scale Pokemon World...

Seriously, that is fucking awesome! If i had Minecraft i would be exploring the hell out of that!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Kargathia said:
I probably missed it when I spot-checked through the video, but is there any estimate on just how many man-hours this nerdgasm cost?
Near the end, the guy who made it said at least over 1000 hours :p

thepj

Aug 15, 2009
Holy block based entertainment Batman! That's both the most awesome and at the same time the most perturbing thing I've seen in a while.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Looked awsome.
I tried to join, but they were so picky and demanded proof of my minecraft work.
So i just gave up.

They are far too picky.