Minecraft Middle-Earth Will Melt Your Mind

Mortoric

Jul 28, 2011
Ellen of Kitten said:
OT: This is an AMAZING feat! I could never commit this much effort to Minecraft. I knew that one day all my creations would crumble, as the game would eventually fade into oblivion. But my god... someone get the worlds records people on the phone. o_o

Does that also discourage you from doing anything in real life as well? Just sayin'

More importantly - all Tolkien fans should be impressed! Quite amazing.

Javarock

Feb 11, 2011
And we can't get a file download?

Well, Time to wait to apply to the server for exploration and amazement request :p

JackJL

Jun 18, 2011
Diegolomac said:
OK, just how many people worked in this project? Because my brain melts at the concept of this being built by less than a thousand really REALLY dedicated minecraft gods.

Edit: OH GOD, look at this http://www.minecraftmiddleearth.com/worldmap you can look at the world in real time google-maps style. JUST LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!!!!! Did somebody send this video to Notch already?

That map is the most amazing thing! It takes ages at maximum zoom out just to get out of the shire. You can trace it all the way to where they're building Lothlorien - Calas Galadhon is already done. The channel for Anduin is also pretty spectacular

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Hamish Durie said:
phwoooooooooaaaaar *picks up fallen jaw* gentleman the bar has been raised
Raised? The bar lifted off and entered deep space now.

This is amazing. I do a little terraforming on the server I play on, so I can really appreciate the MASSIVE work they put into making hills and mountains look not only decent , but mind-blowing.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
So... much... effort...

Right now I'm wondering if this map is up for download, and, if so, whether it would exceed my broadband limit to try and do so.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Men with no lives worked on this.

Capatcha: beg the question Yes and I must beg the philosophical question of..... why?

Why throw like months upon months of your time at this project, when you should be working or studying. Unless these guys are all rich and need not do any of that. I feel like it's something..... odd.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Tiger Sora said:

Capatcha: beg the question Yes and I must beg the philosophical question of..... why?

Why throw like months upon months of your time at this project, when you should be working or studying. Unless these guys are all rich and need not do any of that. I feel like it's something..... odd.
Because they find it fun? It's no more a waste of time than playing any other video-game or watching cartoons or indeed even posting on forums.

Hell, if anything it's better. At least they've got something to show for their time and for others to appreciate, that beats what the vast majority spend their spare time doing myself included more often than not and yourself as well.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
That's ridiculous. How did they mine out all those halls!

It makes me not want to play Minecraft again, as everything I build will be inferior.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
It's funny that people are stunned by this (I was too, but then I had a longer think about it). Yeah, making all this with blocks is amazing, but people really did design this stuff in much more detail in other places.

The movies, the games... giant feats of this magnitude happen in all AAA releases these days, but we almost miss them because of their incredible realism.

Yeah, the fact that this has a lot of scale is a big deal. But it's not like this was all done by one guy, so how is it different from how amazing normal game design is? I mean, yes, there is shorthand used in these designs to speed up the process, but even then I'm sure the detailed work involved is still bigger.

I suppose it has a coolness factor in the sense that it's done by amateurs and still accomplished very well, though. So, I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble. Just trying to open minds to the other amazing stuff we're taking for granted.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
I'd watch it, and likely actually enjoy it, but I really hate the narrator. To me, he's as charismatic as a dog on fire. You can really tell he's just trying to force jokes in, mostly where it's obvious he's forcing them in as hard as possible.

In terms of the actual island it's self. Well done, and it's pretty impressive that someone managed to do this. They started an ambitious project and they saw it through to the end. Just hope no "accidental TNT" gets placed.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
This is thoroughly impressive. I admire their patience. I wonder if they can make money from their skills with Minecraft.

Tin Man said:
I had no interest in Minecraft, still don't, but this is just sad...

Christ knows how much time they wasted making this, but I pity each and every one of them. truly.

How much time do you think it'll be before someone makes a Death Star?
So, anyone who does something creative that consumes alot of time is wasting time and is pitiful? Wow, if humanity shared your attitude art wouldn't exist.

My friend has made a deathstar.

How much time do you think it'll be when people recognise Minecraft as an art medium?

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
If there was ever a video to watch while you were high, this would be it.

Have they done Mordor and all that goodness yet?

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Tiger Sora said:

Some kids go outside, some kids play videogames.

These kids created another world with their bare hands. Doubtful you'll ever come to making anything this impressive.