Minecraft Movie Being Developed by Warner Bros.

Josh Engen

New member
Aug 19, 2013
569
0
0
Minecraft Movie Being Developed by Warner Bros.



Warner Brothers Entertainment is working on a live-action Minecraft movie, according to Markus "Notch" Persson.

Rumors of a Minecraft movie have been swirling around the internet for a while, but most of us just assumed that they were bogus--because why would anyone want to make a Minecraft movie? Oddly enough, Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson confirmed the rumors today with a semi-cryptic tweet. Warner Brothers will be giving Minecraft the Hollywood treatment.

"Someone is trying leak the fact that we're working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie," Notch tweeted [https://twitter.com/notch/status/439164234099073024]. "I wanted to be the leak!"

Obviously, this doesn't sound like an formal confirmation, but Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/27/5454788/minecraft-movie-warner-bros] was able to get a hold of Mr. Persson via email, and the announcement was made official. "It's for real," he said. "I think every part of that tweet was real, including me wanting to be the one to spill the news about a potential movie."

"It would be nice to tell people when it's 100 percent solid rather than to leak it before it's completely final," he added, "but our hands were a bit tied and rushed here."

Earlier this month, filmmaker Brandon Laatsch attempted to launch a kickstarter campaign to raise $600,000 for a Minecraft Fan Film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132086-Update-Minecraft-Fan-Film-Wants-600-000-From-Kickstarter]. However, the project was canned around the time that Notch posted this tweet:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/notch/statuses/431795020082216960]

I can't help but wonder what the universe would have been like if it suddenly had two Minecraft films.

Source: Polygon [https://twitter.com/notch/status/439164234099073024]

Permalink
 

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
4,797
0
0
Guaranteed blockbuster.

[sub]I have no shame when it comes to puns.[/sub]

Honestly though, this will be interesting to follow. Bar just straight up ripping off the Lego Movie, I have no idea what they'd do. Especially in live-action.
 

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,553
181
68
I could watch a documentary on Minecraft. I don't know if I would be into a "Lego Movie" kind of deal though.
 

Clive Howlitzer

New member
Jan 27, 2011
2,783
0
0
As if I needed another reason to never go to the movies. I guess they really are stretching for ideas at this point.
 

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
3,645
0
0
Live action? Why? Why not Animated? Why is it going to be a live action film?

Oh well, I hope they do a decent enough job at it so that I can enjoy it...
 

josemlopes

New member
Jun 9, 2008
3,950
0
0
In Gametrailers they say its live-action but I dont really know where they got that info so lets hope its not.

I still havent seen the Lego movie but one thing about it that atracted me was the idea of having the characters from diferent places interact with eachother, the story itself seemed a bit meh to be honest. Minecraft really doesnt have anything going for it.

EDIT: Didnt notice that you already said live-action in that first bolded segment, I was looking all over the article for those words.
 

CriticalMiss

New member
Jan 18, 2013
2,024
0
0
EvilRoy said:
I could watch a documentary on Minecraft. I don't know if I would be into a "Lego Movie" kind of deal though.
There is a documentary about Minecraft, it came out a few years ago if I remember correctly.

I really don't like the idea of a live-action Minecraft movie but hopefully it will look better than that shitty attempt earlier this month which was just generic action with a spattering of Minecraft references. Better still if they do an animated movie in the game engine or with a special upgraded engine for extra pretty.

I think I'd actually be more interested in a second documentary that goes in to the community, modding etc. that surrounds Minecraft as well as all of the cultural impact it has made. It did invent cubes after all and where would we be without cubes?
 

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
1,012
0
0
The special effects for this movie are going to be the cheapest Hollywood has ever seen.
 

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
1,553
181
68
CriticalMiss said:
EvilRoy said:
I could watch a documentary on Minecraft. I don't know if I would be into a "Lego Movie" kind of deal though.
There is a documentary about Minecraft, it came out a few years ago if I remember correctly.

I really don't like the idea of a live-action Minecraft movie but hopefully it will look better than that shitty attempt earlier this month which was just generic action with a spattering of Minecraft references. Better still if they do an animated movie in the game engine or with a special upgraded engine for extra pretty.

I think I'd actually be more interested in a second documentary that goes in to the community, modding etc. that surrounds Minecraft as well as all of the cultural impact it has made. It did invent cubes after all and where would we be without cubes?
Didn't know that. I can second an additional documentary rather than a plot based movie though. At least lego has theme sets and the like to work from to produce a basis for a plot. The only thing two minecraft games have in common is punching trees, and some people even eschew that.
 

J. Peterman

New member
Jun 24, 2013
3
0
0
I can guarantee everyone on this forum that this will be the exact same format as the Lego Movie; A standardized Hollywood bildungsroman where the messiah saves the day and gets the girls.
 

V8 Ninja

New member
May 15, 2010
1,903
0
0
...How do you make a live-action Minecraft movie? I mean, I can definitely see someone doing something with 2D/3D animation (hell, animators have shown it's already possible), but real actors and presumably real props? Unless an enormous amount of CGI is used, I don't see this working at all. And if the director goes with heavy amounts of CGI, why not just go 100% digital and just have a 3D-animated movie? Man, that concept is so strange and hard to wrap around my brain.
 

Darks63

New member
Mar 8, 2010
1,562
0
0
wombat_of_war said:
V8 Ninja said:
...How do you make a live-action Minecraft movie? I mean, I can definitely see someone doing something with 2D/3D animation (hell, animators have shown it's already possible), but real actors and presumably real props? Unless an enormous amount of CGI is used, I don't see this working at all. And if the director goes with heavy amounts of CGI, why not just go 100% digital and just have a 3D-animated movie? Man, that concept is so strange and hard to wrap around my brain.
the same way you make a live action film about a board game like battleship. take a script thats een laying around for years, alter it by adding things people recognise from the IP add dramatic music and explosions in the trailer
Dont forget to add a love interest and romance subplot with celebs filling most of the roles.

I find it suspect that he pulled the fan film and then started this. It like he was afraid the fan film would get it right and this WB film would get it wrong.
 

Redryhno

New member
Jul 25, 2011
3,077
0
0
Oh look, more evidence that Notch is going to do nothing but Minecraft until the end of time. Or you know, that is until he realizes how much money the movie will need to be made, at which point he will recant his public statements concerning said venture and expect everyone to completely forgive him because he didn't know the amount of effort he would need to invest to make a whim a reality, despite saying he would be doing everything he could to make it happen...
 

Ninmecu

New member
May 31, 2011
262
0
0
...WHY? Why is this (going to be possibly?) a thing? Why does Minecraft, a sandbox buildem up with no legit..oh wait, LEGO movie did it, so fuck it why not cash in, cha-ching.

Redryhno said:
Oh look, more evidence that Notch is going to do nothing but Minecraft until the end of time.
In fairness, to paraphrase Yahtzee,

If life has taught us anything, it's that if you do something really good that becomes inexplicably popular, you should just die right there. Because otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life in the shadow of it trying to surpass it.
If I were him, I'd take my millions and vanish into obscurity. Live a calm carefree life and not give a shit. But I'm a jaded cynic, so there's that.
 

heroicbob

New member
Aug 25, 2010
153
0
0
I just dont know what a minecraft movie would be about there's barely any plot in minecraft to speak of beyond the stuff with the endermen.
 

Redryhno

New member
Jul 25, 2011
3,077
0
0
Ninmecu said:
I honestly don't think I'd care so much if he hadn't gone on a public platform and declared that Psychonaughts 2 was gonna happen, only to then say, "oops, nope, not doing it, I didn't think it would cost as much money as our first draft said it might, how was I to know it would cost more than 1k, that's how much my game cost!".*

Course it didn't help that he then pretty much said fuck off to every fan of the game that then criticized him for jumping the gun on his first statement.

*hyperbole and not a direct quote