Minecraft Movie Being Developed by Warner Bros.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Clive Howlitzer said:
As if I needed another reason to never go to the movies. I guess they really are stretching for ideas at this point.
At least it's a movie based off a new IP (for Hollywood anyway) and something original rather than doing yet another American remake of a European or Asian movie (cause foreign movies aren't good enough for us Americans). Or yet again another remake of a decades old classic (because all those old movies focused too much on useless things like character development, plot, story, etc. when all we want nowadays is CGI effects and shakey-cam action scenes).

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I like the idea of a man punching trees in live action. Make it a straight-up farcical comedy about a single dude trying to survive in an unknowing land. Hell, maybe he gets sucked into the computer like TRON or whatever, and he has to beat Minecraft so he can escape his pixel prison for some reason.

Seriously though, Minecraft as a movie? I'm just curious to see how they tackle it. I have a feeling there's a boardroom meeting of higher-ups going, "so, we got Minecraft. ...now what?" Now what indeed, hypothetical CEO-type person(s).

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
looks like warner brothers is attempting to get TWO movies based on blocks that nobody actually thought could be movies

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I know Minecraft is a fun game and all, but do we really need this? There's only so much you can do with the Minecraft theme before you're just writing a completely different story and making everything out of low-resolution blocks.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Kuala BangoDango said:
Clive Howlitzer said:
As if I needed another reason to never go to the movies. I guess they really are stretching for ideas at this point.
At least it's a movie based off a new IP (for Hollywood anyway) and something original rather than doing yet another American remake of a European or Asian movie (cause foreign movies aren't good enough for us Americans). Or yet again another remake of a decades old classic (because all those old movies focused too much on useless things like character development, plot, story, etc. when all we want nowadays is CGI effects and shakey-cam action scenes).
I'll give you that, except you just listed all the things that keep me from watching movies. Now I feel sad.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Grach said:
I think I speak for a lot of people when I ask: HOW?
I think that was a lot of people's reactions when The Lego Movie was announced and look how that turned out.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
KazeAizen said:
Grach said:
I think I speak for a lot of people when I ask: HOW?
I think that was a lot of people's reactions when The Lego Movie was announced and look how that turned out.
Yeah, except we don't know who writes or directs. I knew it was going to rule when I saw it was the guys behind Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Besides, doing a movie-lenght machinima probably wouldn't sell well and ripping off The Lego Movie is just lazy. And bad. And wrong.

It would be badwrong or badong.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
I get a vibe of sorts for the ending right now - movie all about creativity, and by the end the protagonist(-s?) has saved existence itself from being snuffed out (think Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or The Neverending Journey), but at the cost of everything they have built; Their world lies either in ruin or is obliterated, much as a result of themselves using parts of it in clever ways to thwart pursuing assailants.

So, they quietly just begins to build anew, while the camera dollies away; New ideas, new efforts, retained enthusiasm, no crying over spilt milk.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
But where are they going to find so many square-headed actors? I hope the script is going to be good.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait? Live action? Either it will be the character wearing and using blocky items or just a real life version of it which will suck (it will take alot of convincing to pull it off).

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I don't know why everyone sees this as such a difficult thing to make a movie out of. The fact it doesn't have a story makes it that much easier for a studio to write what works. I keep thinking of Cast Away as a sort of comparison.

A guy wakes up on a beach and after a night of running for his life trying to survive the unexpected monsters that surround him. He builds a shelter so that he can be safe while at the same time trying to figure out where he is. His quest for answers leads him to a village, there the villagers tell him (or maybe he finds information in the desert temples) of a mytical beast that exists in a place called the end, if the beast is slayed it opens a door to another dimension (his home). He then sets out on a quest to get to the end, which takes him caving, lets him discover redstone and you could spend some time showcasing the way he uses the magical redstone to make his life easier. His travels take him through the depths of the Earth, to the Nether, and eventually to the End to face the dragon. All of that could be made into an exciting action adventure movie.

No matter what they put out there, I'm going, my ticket is sold.

As for all of the blocky comparisons, try not to be so literal with how the interpretation would go.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
To everyone saying Notch does nothing but milk Minecraft, he's already made one game (Scrolls) and is hard at work making another (0x10c). He doesn't even work on Minecraft anymore, he just owns it.

All that said, I can't see this movie not sucking, if only because I can't see the mechanics of Minecraft being translated over to live-action without Hollywood feeling the need to make up some bullshit reason for how it works and basing the plot off of that. Still, maybe it it was about real people playing Minecraft it could be good.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Warner Bros. Exec: "Do you think we can add Batman to it?"
Minecraft Producer: "I... no, its not about Batman. Its about blocks."
Warner Bros Exec: "I understand that, but I've reviewed the script, and I came off with the idea that it needed more Batman."
Minecraft producer: "But Minecraft has nothing to do with Batman!"
Warner Bros Exec: "Batman is really profitable to us. It definitely needs to be about block Batman."
Minecraft Producer: "But-"
Warner Bros Exec: "BATMAN!"

EDIT: Whelp, I'm off to fire up Minecraft, because I just realized that what my world needed was a Block Batcave. Every world needs a Batcave.

I love it when my sarcasm inspires me.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Brian Tams said:
Warner Bros. Exec: "Do you think we can add Batman to it?"
Minecraft Producer: "I... no, its not about Batman. Its about blocks."
Warner Bros Exec: "I understand that, but I've reviewed the script, and I came off with the idea that it needed more Batman."
Minecraft producer: "But Minecraft has nothing to do with Batman!"
Warner Bros Exec: "Batman is really profitable to us. It definitely needs to be about block Batman."
Minecraft Producer: "But-"
Warner Bros Exec: "BATMAN!"

EDIT: Whelp, I'm off to fire up Minecraft, because I just realized that what my world needed was a Block Batcave. Every world needs a Batcave.

I love it when my sarcasm inspires me.
Nice.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
heroicbob said:
I just dont know what a minecraft movie would be about there's barely any plot in minecraft to speak of beyond the stuff with the endermen.
Oh right so hard to create an actual plot that takes places at the minecraft world. Writers must be sweating.

Yes, I'm impliying that the only way Minecraft will factor in will pretty much be through the visuals.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
So... What will it be about?

I mean, that's all I really wanna know at this point. What possible plot could it have?