Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Tel_Windzan

Dec 18, 2008
I know this has probably been said by multiple people before in this post but I'll just say what is on my mind and hopefully this won't turn into a rant.

By doing this type of an attack, these people are only successful in distracting Markus Persson from what they want him to do! He isn't going to get much done if someone keeps breaking his server! All these people are doing is making the wait longer until he fixes the problem and then gets back to work.

And the worst thing about this is that this is supposed to have been done by fans of Minecraft. I would face-palm myself but I might take my head off consider how stupid this has just become. Why would any one deliberately attack the person that created something that was responsible for something they love? How is this showing any respect and care I would think calling yourself a fan of Minecraft involve?

If this really was a fan base attack, then they have every right to be called Jerks.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
FROGGEman2 said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaand /v/ remains as whiny and unlikeable as it has ever been.

Seriously, have you been there? It's worse than /g/.
I went there once, had to double check that I was in the right place people complain waaaaay too much there.

RDubayoo

Sep 11, 2008
We have roughly 83,000 bots available,
And yet the haxxors have roughly zero brain cells available. "Durp durp, I had a great idea, gaiz! Let's encourage more updates... by DOING SOMETHING THAT WILL CAUSE DELAYS. I are genius!"

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
Maybe if he turned the other cheek, and just abandoned it altogether for a while. Sorta like in the film the hurt locker:

"If they're gonna plant a bomb on the side of their road, then we're just gonna have to blow up their fucking road".

Also, what the hell is DDos?
Direct Denial of Service, many connections flooding a server causing it to slow down and/or crash.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
zombie711 said:
FROGGEman2 said:
Aaaaaaaaaaaand /v/ remains as whiny and unlikeable as it has ever been.

Seriously, have you been there? It's worse than /g/.
I went there once, had to double check that I was in the right place people complain waaaaay too much there.
There was a thread yesterday, hundreds of posts, over the iron sights in CoD: Black Ops all looking the same. Hundreds of tiny, pointless complaints.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Huh, "We're gonna stop you from doing what you're doing because you're not doing it!" < - Sterling logic right there.

Makes me doubt the claim is authentic, or honest about it's motives. On the other hand it would point to people just about idiotic enough to DoS a blameless game in the first place.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
So theyer going to force Notch to spend time fixing the servers because they want him to be ontime with the update.

Thats..... kinda counter productive..... Shouldent you ((viral)) bomb someone after they fail to deliver, rather then before, causing them to slow down on how quickly they can deliver?

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
Also, what the hell is DDos?
Denial of Service. Think of the Minecraft game as being retailed in your local mall and someone decides to spam the entire building with a thousand cats, stopping people from buying the game. And then sends goats into the server rooms to chew on the wires and stop the game from functioning online.

That be a DDoS attack.

OT: If the devs didn't give out the updates they promised, it's about time they did if players are willing to shut down a game just to make a point. I'd applaud the attackers if not for the fact that they're 4channers who probably don't even have a valid argument (because what kind of 4channer has a valid argument in anything besides hunting pedophiles by posting their personal info to the police?).

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Just don't do anything, don't feed the trolls. Anon's impatience is legendary- wait for them to find a new target.

LostCarcosa

Oct 25, 2010
One thing strikes me as kind of hilarious: the people behind the DDoS attack claim "it's purpose is to send Notch a clear message of how the future of minecraft will turn out unless he gets to work, namely by influencing the amount of sales taking place, due to the attacks."

However, Notch had "no idea why Minecraft would be targeted." It sounds like the DDoS dudes didn't even bother to tell Notch why they were doing this. Dear disgruntled internet trolls, protip...if you want to send a message to someone, make sure you actually remember to send him the message.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I read this. Then blinked. Then read it again. Then reeled my jaw up off my desk. These guys have to be the absolute saddest, most pathetic, petulant and selfishly demanding...actually, I can't think of enough words to describe how stupid they are. I wouldn't blame Persson if he just stopped the whole thing and went and did something else. If his 'fanbase' is so ungrateful, then he should abandon them.

I did like it how they tried to pretend like they weren't channers, however - and then claimed that 4chan was full of 'newfags', thereby proving that they are *exactly* the sort of people that 4chan is notorious for sheltering. =D

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
I can understand them being disgruntled with the way he's handling things, from what I have heard about it, but that doesn't mean they can take matters into their own hands like this. They are ruining the game for many others who play and others who are just getting into it yet cannot buy it.

If you don't like the way he's doing things, stop playing the game. When McDonalds stops putting enough McChicken sauce on your Big Mac, you don't flood their site so that it crashes, you stop shopping their. It's his own game, he made it himself, and he'll do whatever the hell he wants with it. He's loaded right now, you don't think he could just walk away and flip you the bird?

JustCallMeAlex

Jun 27, 2010
Very interesting. My question is: Is is really a bad thing?

I think these guys have the right idea but are targeting something that wont make as big of a difference as it could have. I think the game industry is full of - while probably very good people wanting to make a living - people that do treat the community with as much respect as it deserves. Sure there are idiots and casuals that will never care about release dates, proper updates, balancing, or a good modding community but some of us actually care about the games we play. These people that are attacking the Minecraft creator are (I hope) doing it out of genuine respect for the game but not the game creator. I do not think they are trolls or people that want the game gone forever because it has obviously made an impact on their lives big enough for them to have concern for it.

They do not look like they just want to ruin the game forever or else the bots would still be crashing the servers. I think they just want some more care and respect put into a game they care about.I think we should follow their example but against larger studios where a message could be made clear: the lack of respect for the gaming community needs to be changed.

Lem0nade Inlay

Apr 3, 2010
What the fuck?
These people don't have any right to attack him and demand shit like that!

"UPDATE THIS GAME NOW OTHERWISE WE'RE GONNA STOP YOU MAKING MONEY, YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A BAD PERSON AND YOU DESERVE THIS! NOTHING FUCKING MAKES THE GAME DEVELOPMENT SPEED UP LIKE US CRASHING THE SITE!"

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
These are the transcripts for the meeting of the Hackers:
Hacker 1: Herp Derp we should hack minecraft
Hacker 2: Hurr Durr we are get more updates by delaying site
Hacker 1: Hurr Derp we are stop update datas beings sent
Hacker 2: We are srmart

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
just needs to update it with a massive "go fuck yourselves, /v/" etched into the landscape with adminium at the default spawn point. and implement some code that can somehow figure out a person that was involved with the attack, automatically uninstall the game, add all the servers and his webhost to the windows host blocklist, and ban them from ever connecting to any of the game servers again.

jesus christ what an utter bunch of fucking losers

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
People need to lighten up...

the game is great - if you're bored with it, don't play it for a while ----> you had fun while it lasted. Mabye come back to it later...

Don't simply force the designer to make more content beause you will it, you dictatorial bastards.

Also, if notch is busy fixing whatever you had a go at fucking up, he's not going to have any time to make updates.... any delays he may be experiencing are lengthened by you interfering.

Another classic example of a bunch of fools with too much time and no common sense.