Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
kebab4you said:
Slythernite said:
George Palmer said:
We don't like the way you are handling YOUR OWN GAME!! We DEMAND that you do it the way WE want! To help you achieve that goal we are going to cripple your servers!! Because nothing helps speed up the development process like bringing down part of what you need to do that development!!

Idiots.

Hey guys heres a brilliant idea. Now I want you to open up your mind real wide for this one 'cause I'm about to totally freak you out. Ready for this?

If you don't like the game, don't play it.

I know I know...its a completely new idea that you may have never seen/heard of before. But really, it works.
I could not agree more. We have all payed for a game in ALPHA. This means the game isn't even close to being done, it's going to take months for Minecraft to even reach Beta, and at least a year for it to reach "normal" release.

Nothing helps speed updates like shutting down the game entirely!

Perhaps Notch can use some of the money buyers have given him to find these people, perhaps hiring a forensic technologist and legal aid.
You have pre-purchased the full game and playing the Alpha is just a bonus.
This is true. I was just making the point that the game isn't even CLOSE to being finished. The man's trying to start a damn company for chrissake, give him some time...

They made the decision to buy the game as-is, as we do with commercial products. Just because Valve and company spoil the recent gaming population with free updates doesn't mean anyone has to, or will for that matter. Hell, he could quit right now and not be obligated to continue. Damaging his product isn't going to make a better one.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Paddin said:
:snip:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1365758140/the-ddos-attack-continues-ill-just-get-back-to

He says "I?ll get back to coding". Seems that the hackers are getting what they wanted.
No they didn't, he was coding before hand. He had to stop coding to work on this problem. What part of "making gigantic Halloween update" do you, and also these attackers, not get? They're not getting what they wanted, they just slowed down what they wanted to happen.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Are you kidding me? The guy goes out of his way to create a game that is closest to a living, breathing world that we've ever had (minecraft fan here). He's a talented game maker and programmer, working by himself (as far as I know) to create something actually fantastic- and this is how you reward him? Tell me, when is the best way to show that you're fans of something is to destroy it?

Let me put this question as simply as I can: What the fuck is wrong with you?

Kratenser

Sep 18, 2010
Seems a little redundant to me.

A true fan would just whine about things and do nothing.
They are just messing around with something for no reason other than to satisfy their own pathetic whims.

Heres an idea, instead of bitching about lack of updates, why dont you make your own game and see if you can cope with annoying fans taking down your servers?

Twats.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Slythernite said:
kebab4you said:
Slythernite said:
George Palmer said:
Snip
You have pre-purchased the full game and playing the Alpha is just a bonus.
This is true. I was just making the point that the game isn't even CLOSE to being finished. The man's trying to start a damn company for chrissake, give him some time...

They made the decision to buy the game as-is, as we do with commercial products. Just because Valve and company spoil the recent gaming population with free updates doesn't mean anyone has to, or will for that matter. Hell, he could quit right now and not be obligated to continue. Damaging his product isn't going to make a better one.
Ah, I see. Just wanted to be clear about it, since it is a bonus how can you really complain if you don't get updates for it?

Deadlock Radium

Mar 29, 2009
The thing that really annoys me is that the Halloween update would be up in a week's time anyways.
I've got something to say to the attackers:
Idiots! D:

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
I just want to clear up something, this is not /b/, /b/ has a thread right now full of people facepalming because of /v/.

Also, this is pretty retarded, I just can't understand the logic behind this.

GordoFreemann

Oct 21, 2010
This actually made me a little mad!

How could you, a disgruntled fan, make yourself any happier by hindering the artist's work? I suppose it would make sense if you were to ask him what is taking so long, but DDoS'ing his site? Making him rush his work?

I hope he somehow finds out exactly who did this, and bans their accounts.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
Well done guys. The phrase 'biting the hand that feeds you' springs to mind, along with 'when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail'.

Anyway, I'm sure spending all his time fending off these attacks will make the updates just FLOOD in.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
cyber terrorists is what they are! and they are indeed being dicks, if they were that concerned with minecraft then they would probably follow his blog and twitter...and on those he states multiple times that hes busy working on an office and hiring more people, to MAKE THE GAME BETTER!!!

rock0head132

Oct 21, 2010
So 4chan has become a Cyber terrorist organization now may be the DHS needs to investigate the founder. A little trip the gitmo might be in order. ;)

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Are you kidding me? No further updates were ever promised! I, unlike most people, actually took the time to read the license agreement (it's not even that long). Notch specifically said that no further updates are guaranteed, and that though he'd like to completely finish the project he wasn't sure that he'd be able to. That's why the price was half what it was ultimately going to be when the game was finished. These guys aren't fans, they're not even seeking justice, they're just morons who skipped the fine print.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Erm wow. Did they forget that this is just in some kind of test phase right now? Plus, how is he supposed to update the game if people won't be able to get online to its servers to receive updates.

No matter what though, these guys are self entitled pricks.