Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Minecraft multiplayer is down thanks to a DDoS attack which is apparently being carried out by a group of Minecraft fans who are dissatisfied with the way creator Markus Persson is handling the game.

Minecraft is a pretty amazing thing. You can build a full-scale Minecraft.net [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103834-Minecraft-Player-Needs-Help-Building-Scale-Star-Trek-Enterprise] has been getting pounded by a DDoS attack since yesterday afternoon.

"I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but minecraft.net appears to be suffering some kind of attack, and is down at the moment," Persson wrote on his personal blog [http://notch.tumblr.com/]. "I'm working on fixing it."

About an hour later, he reconsidered, noting that the Minecraft.net host was down as well and saying that it could be a more widespread error on the net. But after another hour, he confirmed that it was in fact an attack. "SYN flood, apparently," he wrote. "I've learned a lot today."

Persson said he has no idea why Minecraft would be targeted but whoever is responsible appears determined to cause some serious havoc. "I got some great help from the people running the Minecraft forums, and then my server host confirmed it was a DDoS attack," he told Giant Bomb [http://www.giantbomb.com/news/minecraft-multiplayer-goes-down-as-minecraftnet-gets-attacked/2658/]. "We fixed the initial attack, but then a larger one started."

One possible and rather bizarre explanation explanation came to light earlier today: Disgruntled fans. According to a post on 4chan (via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5669766/minecraft-under-siege-by-angry-addicts-demanding-more-updates]), a group of Minecraft players want to "send [Persson] a message" and force him to deliver promised updates by bringing down the site and disrupting his sales.

Minecraft is currently experiencing a stimulation provided by us.

It's purpose is to send Notch a clear message of how the future of minecraft will turn out unless he gets to work, namely by influencing the amount of sales taking place, due to the attacks.

Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them.

We have roughly 83,000 bots available, and preserved for this seizure, we could if we wanted to keep this going for weeks, however we have decided to give it a week, and see whether or not your attitude, and commitment will change, we believe it will when money stops rolling in for the time being...

anyhow, no we're not from roblox, or any other minecraft clone, not to mention none of us have been around 4chan for years, and nor has any real 4channers for that matter, its all newfags now, and has been for quite a few years.

Whether or not the statement is authentic can't be verified, but the collective vindictiveness of gamers who feel they're owed something and being denied is a powerful thing. Whatever the reason, I'm hopeful that Minecraft will be back in all its glory as soon as possible, and I'd also like to say something to the people responsible for bringing it down: You guys aren't fans. You're just a bunch of dicks.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Not sure if it is a connection or just a coincidence, but when I tried offline single player, that was also crashing...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Maybe if he turned the other cheek, and just abandoned it altogether for a while. Sorta like in the film the hurt locker:

"If they're gonna plant a bomb on the side of their road, then we're just gonna have to blow up their fucking road".

Also, what the hell is DDos?

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
A DDoS just because he hasnt updated things aas quickly as they wanted? That seems a little excessive. Couldn't they have just sent him an email?

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
What a bunch of self-righteous wankers... "Boohoo, we have a botnet". Gtfo and learn some real hacking you useless brat, and against an Indie developer as well? These guys sicken me.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
You're just a bunch of dicks.
I can't believe these people. That's some of the craziest logic I've ever heard. It's like punching your baker because he isn't making your cake fast enough.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
We have a workaround in our usergroup to get on our server.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Minecraft-Appreciation-Club

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
"We have roughly 83,000 bots available and want to rule the world!!"

God damn it kids, cut down on your ego.
*wants to buy minecraft soon*

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
You guys aren't fans. You're just a bunch of dicks.
Amen!

OT: What needs to be said has been quoted. This is the worst way to say "Go update your game." By causing him to rush and try and bring back up his website which may take a few hours. I think this goes into the new Troll Science meme perfectly.

Calumon: Why are silly people silly?

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
"We're DDoS-ing your servers, blah blah blah... no more sales for you, blah blah blah, 'Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them'."

Good God I've never seen such an unwarranted entitlement complex, not even from some of Valve's unpleasable fanbase. Notch is one man, and if I remember correctly he was purposely not updating the game until the 31st for his "Halloween" update anyway.

If these people think that they're standing on some kind of moral high ground than they're more diluted than I thought.

Metaphor

Mar 11, 2010
Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them.
Err, what? The "promised" update isn't due out yet, and if you crash his server he can't release it. This sounds more like minecraft haters than entitled dicks.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Players of Minecraft, we shall not give in to this Terrorists demands, for if we do it will never end.

Edit: Also if what the guys says is true, then he is using a bot net to attack, which for having one can earn 25+ years in a federal prison.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
*sigh* no mention of my thread that reported this first then... thanks for the complement Escapist...

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Players of Minecraft, we shall not give in to this Terrorists demands, for if we do it will never end.
We do not negotiate with terrorists.

The have to lose interest at some point, right?

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
wait so now I can't buy minecraft for a while....
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
seriously crashing him just because he isn't updating fast enough just like andy chalk said
Andy Chalk said:
You guys aren't fans. You're just a bunch of dicks.
EDIT: I think Notch should play a little hard ball with these guys

IRaithI

Mar 10, 2010
Do they understand that they dont rule anything? If they want the update so bad then STFU, sit the f*ck back and wait. With this they are only slowing him down and he might even cancel the haloween update. If I was him I'd shut it down till I get an apology or something from the dudes who did it. And I'd make sure that no one would be able to play the game singleplayer or otherwise.