Minecraft Multiplayer Brought Down by DDoS Attack

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Good saying Andy. Escapist going to be attacked with a DDoS in 5..4...3...2... days.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
Wow. Almost makes Valve's unpleasable fanbase ("the free update to my game is three hours late, Valve fail forever!!!!&&&1!8") sound reasonable.

People expect a lot for a 10$ purchase. I wonder if, when they go to a movie, they expect free handjobs every night for several months or so. I mean, you paid them your money, right? That practically means you own their hos.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I don't like Minecraft, it's just not my kind of game. But I respect it for being different, fresh and open-ended. This is just flat out retarded, counterproductive and malicious. These people are arseholes, plain and simple...

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Loonerinoes said:
felixader said:
And just in case you forgott: you got TOLD that you pay for a ALPHA-Version before the Purchase, Dicknecks!
HAHAH! Oh man...really? It was even like that? Aight...I think I'll retract my previous starting comment, these guys definately had an overdevloped sense of entitlement.
I tell you go to the site. The FIRST THING you see is a brigth orange sign saying: 50% OFF DURING ALPHA! PURCHASE NOW!

And then, as i said he had announced i GIANT Update for Halloween, WEEKS before this attack, with an actual Date for it attached.

Xbonics

Oct 21, 2010
Do they know that there is a update next week???? and if they get a xbox and try to get updates every week god help them.
Other than that this is the best game that I own at the moment

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
To the dicks,

When you were throwing tantrums in Toys R Us, screaming and rolling on the ground, we didn't really care. You were loud and obnoxious, but you were only embarassing yourself and your parents.

But when you went running around the store slaming into others carts because you didn't get the toy with the extra wings that pop out of the back, no one felt bad when you were tripped and broke your nose on the tile. We quietly cheered that person.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Um, guys, nowhere does it say that Anonymous is behind this attack. Even in the "ransom letter" the author says those participating in the attack haven't been on 4chan in years and they didn't organize through /b/. It's probably just a bunch of pricks with too much time on their hands who don't have the balls to do anything useful with their computer skills so they torment and indie developer. It's one guy working almost entirely alone you morons, and you DDOS him?! Leave him alone and let him get back to work so he can make money and hire people to help him appease your impossible demands.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
What.
I don't think I've ever heard such incredible stupidity.
"I don't like how you're making this game we really like! We're gonna stop everyone from playing it for a week!
So, what do we do now?
Oooh, how about some Multiplayer Minecraft!

Oh.
Fuck."

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
sooooo let me get this straight, you want updates faster so your plan is to crash his servers so he have to put coding aside to fix them? Genius!

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
Notch has promised updates and delivered practically nothing for the last two months in a row. I'm not condoning the DDoS attack, but they aren't doing it just for the sake of being dicks. Seeming that buying this game is an investment at the moment seeming it is in alpha, apparently they believe this is the best course to get the content that has been promised. He promised weekly updates and Minecraft is his full time job after all, quite a few people have felt cheated by the lack of updates. I'll say again though, not condoning this.

Also, everyone who is attacking 4chan and Anonymous for this, read the bloody OP. They say, as clear as day, that:
Andy Chalk said:
anyhow, no we're not from roblox, or any other minecraft clone, not to mention none of us have been around 4chan for years, and nor has any real 4channers for that matter, its all newfags now, and has been for quite a few years.
Update: Also, it seems to be working:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1365758140/the-ddos-attack-continues-ill-just-get-back-to

He says "I?ll get back to coding". Seems that the hackers are getting what they wanted.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

This is what shot through my head when I read this... I feel so naive thinking this, but GOD I would love to break their balls.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Orcboyphil said:
*Sign* Anonymous is really amazing, sometimes it hunts down animal cruelty perps, exposes a cult or protests racism. Then it picks on a small indie developer and causes misery to thousands because it has a hissy fit. Hopefully there are real fans in the hacker community who'll be able to trace the IRL details of these wankers so they can face there eternity of goatsection.
Nah. We can't really fault anon for that 'cause anon is just a bunch of different people at different times.

How depressing, really. Don't they know the damn game is an ALPHA?

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Not sure what a ddos is. I wish people had done this to IW with mw2, threatened their sales if they didnt give us the updates the game so desperately needed.

Ninjastoned

Mar 3, 2010
These DDOS fags are really butt hurt, they can't wait till Halloween. If they were fans, why not help him, oh thats because these guys are lazy fags. They can suck my dick and be butt hurt all they want, I will just play other games till its over.

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
The game is half off right now. HALF, OFF. Not double! I do not see why they think they are investors when they paid barely ANYTHING to play. Maybe if each account cost $100-$200 each, maybe they'll have something to stand on, but no. That's not it at all. Notch has been COMPLETELY TRANSPARENT and THIS is how people repay him? NO WONDER the rest of the industry is closed door and leaves everyone wondering what happens, because people can't TAKE IT.

W/e, give it a month, those posers will be gone and this incident won't be remembered.

Slythernite

Jan 25, 2009
George Palmer said:
We don't like the way you are handling YOUR OWN GAME!! We DEMAND that you do it the way WE want! To help you achieve that goal we are going to cripple your servers!! Because nothing helps speed up the development process like bringing down part of what you need to do that development!!

Idiots.

Hey guys heres a brilliant idea. Now I want you to open up your mind real wide for this one 'cause I'm about to totally freak you out. Ready for this?

If you don't like the game, don't play it.

I know I know...its a completely new idea that you may have never seen/heard of before. But really, it works.
I could not agree more. We have all payed for a game in ALPHA. This means the game isn't even close to being done, it's going to take months for Minecraft to even reach Beta, and at least a year for it to reach "normal" release.

Nothing helps speed updates like shutting down the game entirely!

Perhaps Notch can use some of the money buyers have given him to find these people, perhaps hiring a forensic technologist and legal aid.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Bunch of jackasses. They realize the reason Notch is holding off on updating right now is because he's trying to do something special for the Halloween, right? Not to mention he's also starting up his own company- you know, the people who will eventually make large updates like the one coming up happen more frequently?

"Ohhh, he promised us updates! oooh, we are so angry!" Bunch of over-entitled pricks.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Slythernite said:
George Palmer said:
We don't like the way you are handling YOUR OWN GAME!! We DEMAND that you do it the way WE want! To help you achieve that goal we are going to cripple your servers!! Because nothing helps speed up the development process like bringing down part of what you need to do that development!!

Idiots.

Hey guys heres a brilliant idea. Now I want you to open up your mind real wide for this one 'cause I'm about to totally freak you out. Ready for this?

If you don't like the game, don't play it.

I know I know...its a completely new idea that you may have never seen/heard of before. But really, it works.
I could not agree more. We have all payed for a game in ALPHA. This means the game isn't even close to being done, it's going to take months for Minecraft to even reach Beta, and at least a year for it to reach "normal" release.

Nothing helps speed updates like shutting down the game entirely!

Perhaps Notch can use some of the money buyers have given him to find these people, perhaps hiring a forensic technologist and legal aid.
You have pre-purchased the full game and playing the Alpha is just a bonus.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Wow, that post from 4chan does not bring any ounce of sympathy to that group if they are indeed the ones responsible for it. They sound more like a bunch of terrorists in a bad movie than they do concerned fans.

I hope someone brings the hammer down hard on those pricks, you can't attack an indie developer (who if I'm not mistaken in this case is the only guy working on the game) and ever hope to take the moral high ground.

They've made one point very clear though, they're nothing but a bunch of selfish children.

Paddin said:
Update: Also, it seems to be working:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/1365758140/the-ddos-attack-continues-ill-just-get-back-to

He says "I?ll get back to coding". Seems that the hackers are getting what they wanted.
That's probably what he was doing when the attack started and the fact he had to stop and investigate only sucked up time he could have spent getting the update ready.

Notch has promised updates and delivered practically nothing for the last two months in a row.
God forbid you not get an update every week, let alone two months. Oh you poor people, it must be so terrible. Man up and grow a pair, you sound just as selfish as the people carrying out the attack.