Minecraft Sales Figures Reveal $33 Million in Diamonds

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Wait a second, do you mean that the first pig exploded instead of dropping bacon? Or is this the reason why the creeper has 4 legs spaced so so closely together?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Holy SPIT that's a lot of cash. I wonder how the finished Minecraft will be...
Wait a sec. He's made a fortune from a game that strictly speaking doesn't exist yet? Dang.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Croaker42 said:
Dioxide20 said:
Scrolls, a cardboard strategy game....

I have to say, it is pretty amazing how well Minecraft is doing. I got it at the tail end of Alpha, and I'm still playing it regularly.
Yep. I love classic 0 mod mode.

Also I think scrolls looks kind of fun so far.
A little too MTG but at the right pricepoint I will check it out.
Hey i happen to love MTG, but i haven't given scrolls a serious look yet, if it's anything like Magic (-the buying cards thing) then i may just have to give it a try.

OT: buying cards in randomized packs made scene with the original physical game, the conservation of that concept makes scene for MTGO. But the MTGTactics game doesn't seem to have the ability to justify that kind of micro-transaction. Same with any new game that might want to try to use that concept.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
My hat is off to the guy for making a game that people will buy. I personally find the game boring, but games aren't made to please everybody, right? Just look at farmville and the sims - both are incredibly boring games that make bank. It's all about player preference, so Kudos to them!

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
timeadept said:
Croaker42 said:
Dioxide20 said:
Hey i happen to love MTG, but i haven't given scrolls a serious look yet, if it's anything like Magic (-the buying cards thing) then i may just have to give it a try.

OT: buying cards in randomized packs made scene with the original physical game, the conservation of that concept makes scene for MTGO. But the MTGTactics game doesn't seem to have the ability to justify that kind of micro-transaction. Same with any new game that might want to try to use that concept.
I am not sure if they will offer random booster style purchasing or microtransactions at all.
But I will certainly be keeping my eyes open.

Also. I have not really been able to get into MTG in last few years. New releases/rules/gamestyles and all. On top of that my local prospects of fun casual gameplay are slim.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
Croaker42 said:
timeadept said:
Croaker42 said:
Dioxide20 said:

I am not sure if they will offer random booster style purchasing or microtransactions at all.
But I will certainly be keeping my eyes open.

Also. I have not really been able to get into MTG in last few years. New releases/rules/gamestyles and all. On top of that my local prospects of fun casual gameplay are slim.
I have the same problem, though the rules really don't change. But the number of ways they think up to break them does. I'm a bit rusty on the new terminology in any case though.

*oh wait, i'm completely forgetting the addition of the card type, planes walker. not sure how they work either.*

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Art Axiv said:
The game didn't write itself! Plus, you know in every success there is a bit of luck..
theultimateend said:
Every moment from your first breath to your last is a matter of luck.
I honestly wasn't trying to imply that Notch didn't work hard. For Cthulhu's sake, he made a whole 3D game in Java. He's constantly updating it (just saw the addition of weather systems), and the new wolves and hell dimension once again showed his ability to create things simple and charming.

What I'm trying to imply is that there is no way Notch went ahead and thought 'Hmmm... I'm going to make a retro sandbox game whose value mostly lies with the creativity of the player and I'll earn $33 million in revenues without any form of advertisement'. How would it have wound up if it never wound up in the TIGSource forums? Would it have slipped into obscurity as another indie title in the sea of thousands? There is enormous uncertainty as to what resonates with the internet community (which is integral to Minecraft's success).

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Fronzel said:
Veylon said:
kebab4you said:
I don't know Notch, Scrolls sounds awfully boring for me. But will have to wait and see.
Yeah. He's going to have a hard time selling this thing. He'd be better off focusing on the Minecraft; that's what's bringing in the cash.
Yeah, it'd be horrible if a game developer thought of something other than the money.
Another good reason to focus on MC is that he hasn't finished it or handed it off to someone else yet. Juggling two projects can be messy.

As far as money goes, the more he gets, the more he can then turn to riskier ventures, such as the aforementioned card game, without financial worries. Notch is still an indie developer and can't count on ever making a profitable game again, so it would make sense for him to get what he can out of the one he does have.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Art Axiv said:
The game didn't write itself! Plus, you know in every success there is a bit of luck..
theultimateend said:
Every moment from your first breath to your last is a matter of luck.
I honestly wasn't trying to imply that Notch didn't work hard. For Cthulhu's sake, he made a whole 3D game in Java. He's constantly updating it (just saw the addition of weather systems), and the new wolves and hell dimension once again showed his ability to create things simple and charming.

What I'm trying to imply is that there is no way Notch went ahead and thought 'Hmmm... I'm going to make a retro sandbox game whose value mostly lies with the creativity of the player and I'll earn $33 million in revenues without any form of advertisement'. How would it have wound up if it never wound up in the TIGSource forums? Would it have slipped into obscurity as another indie title in the sea of thousands? There is enormous uncertainty as to what resonates with the internet community (which is integral to Minecraft's success).
Which is pretty much the truth for all modern companies. They did something other people were already doing and got lucky.

Lots of folks say it's a matter of knowing the business, but considering how random their sales are each year I think it's more like getting lucky and changing quickly when your luck turns sour.

as for me, I learned about Minecraft from VG Cats.