Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition Overview

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Denamic said:
Crono1973 said:
So there is no peaceful mode in the 360 version. I'll wait until it gets one because having creepers blowing up my creations is not my idea of fun.
Peaceful mode is a difficulty setting, not a separate game mode.
Semantics. You really posted just to say that?

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
well that was a poor overview it missed out quite a bit. Yeah multiplayer is probably fun but it won't work if you don't have an HD TV, so no splitscreen for me and the map size is radically limited only takes about five minutes to cross it. Bought it so i could run it with a render distance further than short and what I've been left with is a watered down version of the game. I just can't get over the map size limitations back on the old PC version one of my maps had rail roads that spanned multiple maps, linking all my bases in different biomes, by the looks of it the 360 map I'm currently on doesn't even have a snowy biome.

My advice to anyone interested is to hold off, unless some of the missing features are restored.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Solo-Wing said:
Nope. American only. Again same problem. I cannot buy 2 cards. Yet alone one. I am broke T.T
Don't suppose you know someone who works in a computer store? If they can get a Microsoft Expertzone account and watch a dozen how-to-upsell-Office propaganda videos, I'm pretty sure those cards are available for like 11 bucks apiece. Less if you keep it up for a few months to get to "expert" status. Even a 2800 point card is cheap (10 dollars + watch 2 videos at expert level, or something).

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Denamic said:
Crono1973 said:
So there is no peaceful mode in the 360 version. I'll wait until it gets one because having creepers blowing up my creations is not my idea of fun.
Peaceful mode is a difficulty setting, not a separate game mode.
Semantics. You really posted just to say that?
I don't think you know what that word means.
Either way, your original assumption is wrong and the setting is available in the in the game.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Formica Archonis said:
Solo-Wing said:
Nope. American only. Again same problem. I cannot buy 2 cards. Yet alone one. I am broke T.T
Don't suppose you know someone who works in a computer store? If they can get a Microsoft Expertzone account and watch a dozen how-to-upsell-Office propaganda videos, I'm pretty sure those cards are available for like 11 bucks apiece. Less if you keep it up for a few months to get to "expert" status. Even a 2800 point card is cheap (10 dollars + watch 2 videos at expert level, or something).
Nope. I don't know anybody who works in a computer store.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Nice to see they took a hint from Terraria and the like and included a scroll-through crafting system that is still needed in the PC game (or something like it). If they had a Guide character who you could check what materials can make what items, then they'd be all set.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
It's likely that the size of the area you can go in is limited in splitscreen so that players can't go too far apart and make the game load too many chunks.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
Jimmy T. Malice said:
It's likely that the size of the area you can go in is limited in splitscreen so that players can't go too far apart and make the game load too many chunks.
Nope,it only goes as far as your map does,it's pretty much an island surrounded by water & invisible walls. It still makes quite a big map. So far I've noticed it's missing Villages,mines,the dungeon,silverfish, creative mode,& Endermen.But there is a spot in the menu for DLC so we might get some of the stuff later.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Peaceful mode is there, you can set the difficulty in the settings menu and when you start/load up worlds.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the 360 version at the moment. It feels a little... lacking, but it does suffice for the time being. I've had a good play of it with some friends and even spent too many hours yesterday building a fortress with water cascading down the glass from the roof. BUT a lot of the really good stuff from PC just isn't there.

My friends and I are just enjoying it for now, nothing more and nothing less. I'm anticipating the next update for the game too: hopefully NPC's, strongholds and pistons and jungles and such will be included; though I also hopes it's not to far into the future. It would be like if a Halo 3 PC port had no theatre or forge-mode.

Overall: very well made, very entertaining and worth the money if you don't already have MineCraft or would love to play it with friends in the same room on 1 screen, albeit lacking features at the moment.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
The game is roughly equivalent to Minecraft Beta 1.6 so it'll take a while before we see any additions like villages/mines. To be honest a lot of people feel that those additions ruined the core minecraft experience by trying to shoehorn in a faux-rpg element but that's for another conversation.

Solo-Wing said:
I am actually pissed off with the price. Here in Canada a $20 point card only gives 1400 points instead of the full 1600. This is annoying.
Why not buy points cards off Ebay? I just did a quick check and you can find 1600 for under $20 and they usually email you the codes. I buy all my points cards that way (Europe here) in 4200 batches and usually costs me around £35 so it's basically a 1:1 conversion for Points to Euro Cents. Very handy for a quick visual conversion.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
Lunncal said:
octafish said:
Lunncal said:
Either me and my little brother are doing something horribly wrong, or this review has a glaring omission. Is the world supposed to be tiny?

I found there were invisible walls if you tried to wander in any direction at all after a pretty short time, the world was only as big as the map you receive at the start in fact. This is a big issue for me, as it removes a lot of the fun I had just exploring and setting up distant bases in the PC version, so it's something people should really be made aware of.
That can't right can it? Exploration was 80% of the single player game for me.

hat I want to know is does it still use Java? I'd love a PC version that was optimised better than Java allows.
Didn't believe it myself at first, but there it is. Walk no more than a minute or so in any direction from the spawn point and you just get halted by invisible walls. My brother (who is the one who actually bought it) seems to be happy enough just to be able to play with his friends over Xbox live on it, but if it were me I'd be pretty annoyed.

From what I gather the port is in C++ by the way, and it does seem to perform far better on the Xbox than on my (slightly) more powerful PC. I've no idea how much of that is just the result of limiting the features so much as opposed to an improved code-base, though.
Most of the performance gain will be from the C++ port and optimisations. Managed languages like Java and C# will perform badly in real time applications like games because opportunities for optimisations are scarce. For XNA, Microsoft took a slim version of .Net for C# and optimised the hell out of it for games.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
To everyone who has hit invisible walls, apparently the game world is only 1024 by 1024 blocks according to the wiki ( Which barely harms it, i have still found epic mountians, beautiful waterfalls and the like, you can still explore, plus you do get a map to see where the end is.) however for me, it feels much bigger. But yes, it is smaller than the PC version, it might be given more area with the coming updates.

But still, considering my Laptop hates rendering Minecraft properly, this is like a gift from the gods, i love it! Sure the PC version is better, with the unlimited world, but it's hardly a deterrent, there is still A LOT you can do, and the only items that are't there are things from the new patches.

I dread to think when Endermen come to the 360 *shudder*

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
IrateDonnie said:
Jimmy T. Malice said:
Nope,it only goes as far as your map does,it's pretty much an island surrounded by water & invisible walls. It still makes quite a big map. So far I've noticed it's missing Villages,mines,the dungeon,silverfish, creative mode,& Endermen.But there is a spot in the menu for DLC so we might get some of the stuff later.
Mods will also be availible, i think they will be the DLC tbh, and i think the patches will be free, somehow i doubt Notch/Mojang would let us pay for them but i could be wrong.

But yeh, texture packs and character skins are coming.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Noswad said:
well that was a poor overview it missed out quite a bit. Yeah multiplayer is probably fun but it won't work if you don't have an HD TV, so no splitscreen for me and the map size is radically limited only takes about five minutes to cross it. Bought it so i could run it with a render distance further than short and what I've been left with is a watered down version of the game. I just can't get over the map size limitations back on the old PC version one of my maps had rail roads that spanned multiple maps, linking all my bases in different biomes, by the looks of it the 360 map I'm currently on doesn't even have a snowy biome.

My advice to anyone interested is to hold off, unless some of the missing features are restored.
It does have a snow Biome, believe me, check your map there will parts you haven't explored. the only biomes it doesn't have is jungle and swamp.

And the features will be restored, just don't expect an unlimited world, doubtfull anyway, still good though ive managed to make many houses across the world, each a fair distance apart.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
arc1991 said:
Noswad said:

It does have a snow Biome, believe me, check your map there will parts you haven't explored. the only biomes it doesn't have is jungle and swamp.

And the features will be restored, just don't expect an unlimited world, doubtfull anyway, still good though ive managed to make many houses across the world, each a fair distance apart.
fair enough, I'm not doubting that there's enough space to build but by removing the unlimited world and replacing it with one that can be crossed in about five minutes it's kind of removed the exploration aspect for me. It just seems that the world has been made far to small if an infinite world isn't possible maybe one that takes half an hour to cross, even if it means making choice on that world between multi player. and world size.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
I was going to get this to play with my brother and finally see what the big deal was. No HDTV...

If it still isn't any good then I am going back to old school runescape (http://www.rsclegacy.com).

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Having never played Minecraft for more than a few crappy, performance-killing moments on my PC, I am thoroughly enjoying this game on XBLA. I fired up a new world last night, and 9 hours later I was still happily tapping away at hundreds of quantities of cobblestone from a gigantic, floating mountain.

I suppose it must be the case that those who played it on PC may find the world to be small, but against its platform competition, Minecraft 360 features a larger, more interesting world than its clones, especially across the horizontal dimension, discounting Total Miner's 2000+ block depth, which, while impressive, is a far more static and empty world than Minecraft's, and much, much smaller across the horizontal dimension, capping out at 500 blocks across in Dig Deep IIRC.

If you've never played Minecraft, don't be dissuaded by the PC players claims of a "tiny" world. Having dumped over 12 hours into my first world already, and only revealed about 50% of the surface map in the process, there's more than enough content without needing to wander for 20 minutes in one direction for no reason except to just do it. For people who have never played it, I imagine an endless world won't be missed like it would for others. Though, hopefully a creative mode with a larger plane is in the pipeline, I can understand how that would be desirable.

Seed functionality is there, so seeds that worked on beta Minecraft PC still work, so that's a small plus. I spent a few testing them out last night, and they work great. Gives a lot of landscape variation depending on what you use, and how.

At any rate, for someone who's been desperate to play Minecraft, tried the clones, and found them fun, but missing something, Minecraft 360 is an excellent choice. At $20, it faces stiff competition from a couple of the $2 Indie Clones, so it will be interesting to see if these games develop a sort of feature arms race, or if the good clones will stifle out now that the big daddy of them all is in the picture. It remains to be seen.

tl;dr: Minecraft 360 is an excellent version of Minecraft, and will suck up hours of your life, especially if trying the PC version as anything greater than a foggy postage stamp has been denied to you, as it has been me.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
That split screen s distracting as hell, especially when you have creepers coming at you.

Minecraft only cost $20 if you preordered in beta.