Minor, insignificant thing that ruined a game for you.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I know I'm going to get flak for this one... But what I find to be the pointless was lot of "exploration" in Shadow of the Colossus, yes it all looked nice etc. It was fun for a little while, but there was nothing to really find all that much, the game was cool with the battles and everything, but to me, everything in between was a barren wasteland and it stopped me from finishing the game.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
C. Cain said:
Abomination said:
Of course taking over certain systems with manual inputs can be handy during an emergency but they're still just buttons... not sliders or throttles - all binary. If it's about 'balancing' systems then there need to be sliders or values being punched in. Not his hands darting all over random buttons that are all coloured the same and look the same - that's just a problem waiting to happen.
How do you know that it's just buttons and binary choices? I have to admit that I didn't look too closely at the actual interface, but I don't see why it shouldn't have digital sliders akin to, say, your typical Windows OS sound mixer.

Don't get me wrong, though. I concur with your assessment. Proper manual inputs would have been the much better choice. For several reasons.
I know they were all buttons because... they were all buttons. There were times where he slided something left or right but it wasn't an actual bar but moving an image from one monitor to another. Very, very rarely he made something 'spin' that was a wheel of some sort but once again a slider would have performed the function far better, taken up less space while allowing for a greater range of precision.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Avaholic03 said:
Baby Mario crying in Yoshi's Island. The game would have been 10000x better without that little annoyance.
This by a lot...The fact that I own Yoshi's Island on the SNES, GBA and have the digital version on my 3DS is strong evidence that I love the game (the damning evidence is that I also have the DS remake...upgrade thing) but Mario crying really made me dislike the more difficult levels. People who own the DS version however know of a greater evil...Baby Peach crying. I haven't played Yoshi's Island DS since I found Baby Peach by the way.

I'm still playing it but the text/menus in Blue Dragon are so absolutely pug-fugly. I also dislike the text in Final Fantasy (Origins Version) but I'm playing that as well. Any RPG (especially JRPGs) can have bad menu/text design I know but those two make me feel like I'm playing emulated versions or, Flash-based boot-legs.

C. Cain

Oct 3, 2011
Abomination said:
I know they were all buttons because... they were all buttons. There were times where he slided something left or right but it wasn't an actual bar but moving an image from one monitor to another. Very, very rarely he made something 'spin' that was a wheel of some sort but once again a slider would have performed the function far better, taken up less space while allowing for a greater range of precision.
Fair enough. As I said, I never looked at it too closely. Mainly 'cause I think the whole hard light interface thingie is silly from both an in-game, and meta-game perspective. It didn't shatter my suspension of disbelief, however.

So you don't have to convince me of the advantages of sliders. Open doors, the kicking in thereof and all that jazz.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Donkey Kong Country Returns:
Every time you die you have to watch a long animation of Donkey and Diddy falling to their death in an overly dramatic fashion before watching Donkey slowly ascend on a balloon as the game reminds you that you just lost a life. You then have to wait for him to slowly descend, only being able to release him for a quick descend after a certain point. And if you've died enough in that level, then you have to listen to that annoying pig while watching him wave his flag at you trying to get you to let the game beat the level for you...

Yeah, death in that game was far more annoying than it should have been, and since the game is challenging, you were dying way too much for what that game had to put you through.

Essentially, though, the super guide in all the Nintendo games now just really pisses me off.

The Legend of Zelda
Ever have this moment in a Zelda game: You're sitting there thinking "Yes, I already know that, stop telling me...Come on, you told me about that two hours ago, just...Yes! I already know that!...Oh, come on, now you're just being insulting...You don't think I can figure that out? You might as well be telling me "A Ganon plot twist is coming, be ready!"

Essentially, Zelda just treats you like a child with a short attention span far too much. I've heard Majora's Mask isn't that bad, but I haven't played it to confirm that.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Abomination said:
Mass Effect series - I'm going to have so much fun replaying this from the very start as a renegade *****... oh none of the choices you made has any effect on the final mission. So much for that idea. (Done to death, I know, but in the grand scheme of things it made up like 0.5% of the entire game series so it is a pretty minor thing)
Actually the point of the game, our actions have very little consequence as individuals. WHO'DA THOUGHT?
;)

OT: Hm, wearing certain hoods in games, ones that cover one eye for one (Ha). It gives me the most massive headache because I imagine trying to see in the bloody thing and I just can't deal with it.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
I picked up kingdoms of amalur reckoning, a game all about exploring and going and doing missions rather than following the main story. It punishes me 39 hours in for my exploring with a game breaking glitch meaning i can't finish the story.
And i did this about 8 hours before finding out it broke the game so no save game point except 1 hour into the game. uninstalled game ultimate rage quit for me!

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
Far cry 3. The way that if your character falls more than 4 feet you lose something like a section and a half of health. Also the way that even once you have the privateer disguise on the second island that somehow the pirates can still identify you whilst you're speeding along at 40mph in a jeep.

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
The fact that all enemies in Bulletstorm magically acquire a Sniper's superhuman dodging reflexes when and only when you fire a sniper round at them.

That game was full of little problems that ruined the game, but for me, that was the straw that broke the camera's back.

Xukog

May 21, 2011
Oh and in Skyrim,there is something that doesn't ruin the game for me,but it's still kind of stupid. Sending the Dragonborn to infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy. For example,I got a Nord beserker,big guy,ugly scarred up face half covered in facepaint wiith a ruined eye and a mohawk....thing,(sounds silly,but just seemed to fit Skyrim,besides this mission anyway) And I'm supposed to believe that this guy would pass as a guest at a stuffy,high-class party? Not to mention leader of the companions,and someone who has already killed thalmor agents to free a captured talos worshipper. I get that Bethesda couldn't account for everything when making the story,but this just annoys me for some reason.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I absolutely hate it when games have an overhead perspective. It's not that it causes inconvenience but that I just feel very disconnected from the game itself, like I'm some sort of god watching the puny mortals struggle fruitlessly. It's odd considering I loved Dark Alliance when I was younger. Now, however, the only games I can tolerate with it are RTS games. There have been a few games on kickstarter where their description has caught my interest but when I saw that they were from an overhead perspective I brushed aside any idea of playing them.

Also, while this hasn't gotten me to stop playing the game it irks me that the end of every faction questline in Skyrim is that you become the leader of that faction. Seriously? We couldn't get a little more variety here? At the end of it all I would wield more power than any man/woman/muppet in Skyrim. It's a good thing this isn't real life or I would abuse that power so badly.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
The FOV in Dead Island. 62.5° is low enough to make me feel sick after 10 minutes of playing it, and if I turn it up the guns misteriously develop crazy recoil patterns, throwing my aim at the floor everytime I try to fire. Which would be forgivable had I been given a shotgun and not a pistol.

Dark5tar1

May 2, 2013
Perfect Dark Zero's slow gameplay. I recently played the rerelease of Perfect Dark and then went to Zero and holy crap it's terrible.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
The ladders in Red Dead Redemption.

I was feeling pretty "meh" about the whole game for a while, but then I started a mission where I had to clear out this fort. A fort where the only means of getting around were ladders. Whenever John tried to go up or down on a ladder, he would do it as slowly and meticulously as possible. Meanwhile, there were about 15 enemies juuuust out of my range shooting at me while I was totally defenseless. After dying about four times and realizing I wasn't having any fun, I quit, sold the game, and never looked back.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
I know I'm going to get flak for this one... But what I find to be the pointless was lot of "exploration" in Shadow of the Colossus, yes it all looked nice etc. It was fun for a little while, but there was nothing to really find all that much, the game was cool with the battles and everything, but to me, everything in between was a barren wasteland and it stopped me from finishing the game.
I had this problem for literally years, until it became my third favorite game ever. When you're heading towards your destination, you're always on the lookout for lizards with white tails, and fruit to shoot out of trees. A lot of people actually don't know this, and I certainly didn't. Doing this increases your max health and stamina bars.

When you're in the mood and hit that groove, the downtime heading towards the colossus is like the calm before a storm, a peaceful little hunt as you work your way towards something you only know as being literally colossal. It fits the minimalist pacing perfectly, and before I knew to hunt I agreed that it was toominimal to be fun.

The last time I played it in one sitting, it was exhausting, in a beautiful way. Peaks of perfect stabs and anger from mistimed jumps, to the valleys of gorgeous vistas and calmly sneaking up on lizards. It's worth the feeling of it all coalescing at the end, one of the very very few video games to make me shed a tear.

EDIT: Also, every piece of orchestration in that game is absolutely fucking fantastic. Easily one of the best soundtracks ever written. Have good volume to hear it, and feel the impact of the creatures you're dealing with.

If I've gone on too long about a game you couldn't give less of a shit about, I apologize.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
Kingdom of Amalur:
The Range/Archery, it just sucks and seems so stiff and unorganic. Atleast in the Elder Scrolls you need to put a little effort in.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
DrunkOnEstus said:
If I've gone on too long about a game you couldn't give less of a shit about, I apologize.
Nah, you're okay :D I did know all that, it just wasn't enough to keep me invested in the game, that's all.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
As someone who considers Shadow of the Colossus his favorite game, I understand how you feel. Besides the white tailed lizards and fruit that increase your stamina and health respectively, there isn't too much out there in the Forbidden Land. Still though, I love riding across it. It's quiet, spacious, and very pretty to me. It's almost therapeutic for me to just ride around and take in the sights in between colossi.

OT: For me it's FFX-2's recycling of the environments from the first game. To me it just seems incredibly lazy. It's pretty insignificant compared to the other stuff I didn't like about the game, but it certainly helped in making me stop playing part way through.

chozo_hybrid

Jul 15, 2009
scorptatious said:
chozo_hybrid said:
As someone who considers Shadow of the Colossus his favorite game, I understand how you feel. Besides the white tailed lizards and fruit that increase your stamina and health respectively, there isn't too much out there in the Forbidden Land. Still though, I love riding across it. It's quiet, spacious, and very pretty to me. It's almost therapeutic for me to just ride around and take in the sights in between colossi.
Thanks for being understanding, I was expecting to get ripped apart on what brought up for this thread. The game is great, I know that, the boss fights were awesome, there just wasn't enough to do to keep me coming back.

That's not to say I need explosions every five seconds or anything, exploring the wastelands in the Fallout games I enjoy, same with things like Civ 5 so I have some patience and such, Shadow of the Colossus just didn't seem to do it for me. It has been years though, so perhaps it's time for a revisit.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Nexus : The Jupiter Incedent.

What was one of the most fantastic ...(Not even sure what genre it was)... space games i'd ever played, I got 60% through the game and you are confronted with a level with these massive Cyborg ships, that normally belong to a benvolent, but timid race and pack obscene HP and firepower to boot. I can't remember exactly, but they get possesed by the main antagonist of the story (These weird robot things, that had already enslaved the entire populas of the solar system via the internet or something)

That.

Was.

So.

Hard.

Those ships, They where nye untouchable, and they just chewed through what little fleet you have at that point. Was a real shame, always wanted to find out what happened at the end of that game :(