Minor Stuff That You Hate In Games That You Like

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
FPLOON said:
In a more general sense, if a game has an overworld-esque aesthetic to its overall gameplay and ALLOWS the possibility to miss out on something to collect throughout its overall story (i.e. Jak 2 and South Park: Stick of Truth), then I will hate you with a passion... as I most likely replay said game because everything else was awesome and stuff...

Yeah... Minor, at best, but I still hate it to a "using a guide/wiki" degree...
Now that you mention it I've enjoyed Lost Odyssey, but hate the guide dang it that comes with it. What I mean is that a lot of the side quests and other optional stuff are a bit hard to find. I don't want to miss shit because the game didn't tell me shit.

Gankytim

May 14, 2014
Sequels like Skyrim that don't import the lore books from previous games.

I mean fuck, why can't I have the sermons of Vivec in my characters library?

Thank fuck there are mods for that.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Frankster said:
Payday2:
-some weapon mods only being unlocked by achievements.

Fucking achievements! I was told they were just for completists at first and I was paranoid for fearing they would become more then just simple immersion breaker reminders like steampopups but lo and behold, now I have to do achievements to unlock ingame stuff I'm keen on. FFS stupid achievements, everyone seems to love them to the point there are gamers actually enticed by the prospect of achievements as a selling point, how I despise them.
How is unlocking stuff with an achievement any different to meeting a set of requirements to unlock the same stuff but without an achievement popup?

Although I imagine this is the type of game in which unlocking things is usually through just standard progress as opposed to challenges, yes?

dragonet111

Nov 12, 2013
Nowadays I only play Final Fantasy 14. The most annoying thing for me is all the untradable loot I wish I can give to people on my friend list or in my Free Company. It's so infuriating to get a sweet Ilvl 70 piece of equipment perfect for a friend and not being able to give it.

Another big inconvenience is the absence of a "request Desynthesis" the way you can request a materia meld. I don't like crafting. I leveled Miner and Botanist to help the crafters and not being able to either give them equipment because it's untradable and not being able to "desynth" is kind of a bummer.

Hopefully MMOs are always evolving and this may change with upcoming patches.

J-meMalone

Jan 11, 2009
Frankster said:
Payday2:
-some weapon mods only being unlocked by achievements.

Fucking achievements! I was told they were just for completists at first and I was paranoid for fearing they would become more then just simple immersion breaker reminders like steampopups but lo and behold, now I have to do achievements to unlock ingame stuff I'm keen on. FFS stupid achievements, everyone seems to love them to the point there are gamers actually enticed by the prospect of achievements as a selling point, how I despise them.

-Hosts being able to kick players on a whim. I've seen far too many troll hosts kick people on the last day of a job that took us a good 45 mins to pull because of very arbitrary reasons. Only happened to me personally once so far but that's one time too many, I try to host my own games when possible.
I haven't played Payday, but isn't that better than the achievements doing nothing? I mean if you have to unlock them by doing the task, why not make those tasks achievements for those who care about them?

Unless the achievements are impractical, in which case that'd be horrible.

OT: Fighting games not having a rematch option. The number of times I've started a match to check if my buttons are correct, only to have to go back to character select to restart the match. Arcs Systems Works are particularly bad at this, going back to character select after EVERY MATCH! At least they're fixing that in P4U.

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
I've been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and the breaks from the retro-futuristic '50s style annoy me. For example, the Marksman Carbine in NV. It looks too much like a modern gun to fit in the game.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
How is unlocking stuff with an achievement any different to meeting a set of requirements to unlock the same stuff but without an achievement popup?

Although I imagine this is the type of game in which unlocking things is usually through just standard progress as opposed to challenges, yes?
It's not any different, and unlocking stuff via requirements would piss me off almost as much minus the immersion breaking, I really don't like achievements or being forced to fulfill x conditions for shit, I rather just play my own way especially when the conditions are bizarre and require the active cooperation of other players.

It's ball busting because yup normally you unlock things by playing normally, most weapon mods is unlocked via paying money so you're limited just by your funds.

J-meMalone said:
I haven't played Payday, but isn't that better than the achievements doing nothing? I mean if you have to unlock them by doing the task, why not make those tasks achievements for those who care about them?

Unless the achievements are impractical, in which case that'd be horrible.
I'd much rather these achievements do nothing then interfere with my enjoyment/progress in a game, in case it wasn't clear: I DESPISE achievements and have seen them as a blight upon my games from the very moment they have reared their ugly head and I don't really have an option to disable or avoid them, they are just forced on me and a cancer infecting a lot of games I enjoy.

And yes most of the achievements are impractical, that's the point. Ones where you gotta kill x types of certain enemies with the weapon? Ok it's annoying having the achievement on a timelock but fine, that's doable even if pointless.
Getting 110% accuracy (so you can't miss a single shot which in a team game is a lot more difficult then it sounds since a tm is likely to kill a target you're shoooting at+have to kill multiple enemies with 1 round) whilst killing a high amount of enemies on a mission? Ok fine I'll just cheese it by doing a single player mission on easiest difficulty and wasting 30 mins going around 1 shotting enemies doing my best not to miss or I restart all over again, what fun!
After this they get trickier and some require the cooperation of all your team mates (aswell as them having the right gear/masks to meet the requirements) which becomes a herculean effort when you mostly play in pub games.

Oh yeh that's the thing.. It's not even so much about actually doing the achievements, but finding the way to cheese them, which kinda defeats the point doesn't it?

Last argument epitomizes exactly what I've been fearing about achievements from the start, wtf should these tasks be made achievements and impose these crappy restrictions upon the rest who doesn't want it?
Why can't it be the other way round, if the people care about achievements they don't really need a reward as incentive now do they? Your basically screwing over those who were unhappy to begin with to please those who were already having their way.

It's not like I'm talking about unlocking uber mods on uber weapons here, these are normal mods available to other weapons: sights, rails/handguards. barrels, silencers, etc...
Since part of the fun of the game for me is tinkering with guns to shape them for different kinds of missions, this is a real bummer for me and becomes a "minor stuff I hate in games I like".

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
Final Fantasy IX has trance going off immediately once the gauge reaches max, I suppose having the ability to activate it manually would make all bosses an absolute cakewalk, but nothing is worse than filling the gauge on a weak enemy and having it utterly wasted (especially before a part where it would have been useful, such as the battle in the Ice Cavern)
This. I remember when I first played the game and there were a couple of bosses I struggled against so I tried to build up my trance bar to give me a better chance of winning, only to have it activated by a shot that dealt me 10hp damage from a normal enemy that died with 2 normal hits anyway. ARGH so frustrating.

There's a boss in Bioshock Infinite that sings as you fight it. It's a tough boss anyway but the singing gets controller snappingly frustrating. I had to mute it.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Unknower said:
I've been playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and the breaks from the retro-futuristic '50s style annoy me. For example, the Marksman Carbine in NV. It looks too much like a modern gun to fit in the game.
Back in Fallout 1 and 2 they had a mix of modern and retro 50's science fiction guns so having relatively modern weapons doesn't exactly bother me.

OT. Shadowrun Returns lack of character importation bothers me a little. I love the games and I know there are mods to allow importing characters but the methods are rather buggy and unreliable. It's a very minor complaint though and doesn't exactly ruin my enjoyment.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Pink Gregory said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
wolfe1759 said:
Audiologs, see any Bioshock.
You can just not play them whenever you pick one. But I liked them in the first game.
I like audio logs in Bioshock, and no other game.
This is an explanation, not an excuse... in "System Shock" and "System Shock 2", the story was told pretty much exclusively through audio logs. There were a few "ghost visions" in SS2 but for the most part both games told their story through audio recordings and logs. (And "System Shock 2" did it better than any other game I've ever played... to this day I think that game had the best storytelling of any game I've seen, thanks to Polito and a few other things.) Anyway, I think "Bioshock" wanted to keep to the spirit of its predecessors. It's noticeable that the audio logs play less of a role in it because there are live NPCs that you can interact with (technically "System Shock 2" had two NPCs also, but they basically turned up to say one line and then die.)

I'll give one from "Bioshock", and one from "Fallout: New Vegas".

My "Bioshock" one would be when you try and "hack" something, not only does the minigame get kinda repetitive kinda quickly, but time just stops. (This didn't happen in "System Shock 2", and a large part of "hacking" stuff was that you had to make damn sure you cleared the area of random enemies first... which didn't mean one wouldn't just wander by and try to bean you with a short section of pipe. Damn, that game was nerve-wracking.) Look, if the minigame is complex enough that you actually have to stop time and break immersion in order to have the player do it, maybe they were right to take it out of the sequels.

And my "Fallout" one - well, any Bethesda RPG really - is when a momentous event happens right in front of you but nobody notices. The captain admits having sabotaged the war effort over an open broadcast, then shoots himself? No biggie! Somebody gets stabbed in the marketplace? Nobody raises an eyebrow!

This is especially jarring when events that are insignificant to the world but significant to the plot get mentioned time and time again. Fifty random dragon attacks at Dragonbridge (in retrospect, they really should've called it "cute kitten bridge") don't get so much as a mention, but one plot-specific attack at Kynesgrove causes everybody to lose their minds? Yeah, that doesn't make any kind of sense.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
I hate it whenever a game forces you to backtrack to make the game seem longer. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games of all time, but that part where the ghost steals your identity is painful. You have to go in between the town and the Creepy Steeple like 5 or 6 separate times. And it doesn't help that the enemies along the way are the most annoying in the game. You have to fight the stupid flowers that either put you to sleep or immediately run away or the stupid rock monsters that are invulnerable to like 90% of your attacks.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I wouldn't say I liked the game... rather, I fucking hate its guts, yet it has charmed me into finishing every single damn quest with its feminine wiles, Fable 2.

You can't unequip your weapons. I'm serious. I'm a purely mage character, not a point in anything not mage-y. Can't unequip weapons, even if only for roleplaying purposes. You can do so in 3, and I think you could in 1? That, and so many things, just lead me to believe that the game wasn't completely finished.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I've played the absolute shit out of Dishonored. The stealth in that game is mostly fantastic (It could be better, but it's the first real stealth game in a looooong fuckin' time). But Corvo doesn't speak. Something which could have solved a lot of problems, as well as make Corvo a bit more interesting. I get silent protagonists in games like Fallout and Skyrim. But things like all Infinity Ward Call of Duty games, Half-Life, Dishonored, Fable 1/2...it's absolute bullshit and does nothing but constantly take me out of the game when people talk at me instead of to me.

ChocoMongoose

Apr 7, 2010
Unskippable developer logos when launching a game, first times fine but after that(Almost any 2K game I think and Dishonoured)

Areas in Bethesda games where map markers just break and it seems to be inside your cell or in the outer world and because there is a marker the quest tends to not give you no location or context information (Freeside)

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
theres a particular event in FTL that relies almost completely on luck

its about a spaceship debris with a mine on it, the thing is, unlike every other event in the game, you cant run away from this under normal circunstances, you can if you have improved boosters, but otherwise you are fucked

once the event starts, it says your ship just evaded some random space debris, but a live mine from the debris is latched into your ship, you send a random crew member to disable the mine and the next option in the event is, i shit you not "which cable should i cut? -blue -red", theres a 50% chance of your crew member dying and your ship receiving substantial damage

is absolute bullcrap, it can ruin a perfectly good run and you cant do shit about it

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
FTL:

Fire spreading in/from compartments that are in a state of vacuum.

...And while we're at it, how is it that no one has access to a freaking space suit in that game...?

Every random event that has attackers teleport onto your ship from nowhere. Waste of time and possible death for no reward except maybe having a few crew members increase their "fight" skill. (And "You don't know how they managed to teleport through your Zoltan Shield"? F@#% you- lazy writers refusing to give up on a punitive random encounter for something like consistency, that's how...)

Crew members having to destroy an inactive assault drone before fixing either the ship segment it was attacking or the hole it rent in the hull entering the ship. (The dead robot isn't doing bupkus to you, guys. The oxygen-sucking hole, on the other hand...)

It's a neat little game, but a few little things like that make me wish it had gotten a tiny bit more beta-testing.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
delta4062 said:
I hate that the Famas in most games I've played are locked to burst fire. Modern Warfare 2 did this, Far Cry 3 did this and I'm sure I'm missing some other game I love that did this.
Im with you on this one. I love the FAMAS man, tis my favourite.