Minor things in games that you greatly appreciate

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
I also enjoy seemless transitions from Cutscenes to gameplay. I'm currently playing Tomb Raider so that will be my example. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's cutscene and what's gameplay...and when you have control again. There's a section where Lara finds another friend and is ambushed. The camars pans around and shows what's coming, before going back to the normal view of Lara hiding behind cover.

Halo does an awful job of this. There's cutscene, then awkward flash of light which leads to gameplay.

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
I like being able to change my control scheme. I'm used to playing FPSs where the L1 button is ADS, and R1 is fire. Then games like Vanquish have the default L2 and R2. I stopped playing Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword halfway through cause the motion controls pissed me off so much. I dont mind motion controls, just give me the option to use either the classic controller or a Gamecube controller.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Optiluiz said:
There's nothing quite like a satisfying double-jump...
Heck, in some games I'd be happy with a Jump ability at all. I started Tales of Graces recently and after a minute or so of running around the first area, I went "awww..." when I realised I couldn't jump. I mean, if you can never do it then you'll never need it but I feel like I'm rooted to the ground without the option.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
thedoclc said:
Characterization which develops through minor banter and voice stabs.

Spec Ops: the Line did a phenomenal job with that. Minor instructions, grunts of pain, and shouts upon confirming a kill are used to devastating effect in highlighting a character's mental state. (Hint: Not well and decaying fast.)

Even old Black Isle and Blizzard games where characters had neat little lines when they were clicked on too often or when put in charge of the party. "Magic is impressive, but now MINSC LEADS! Swords for everyone!"

It's those little things outside cut scenes and major events that lend a whole lot of extra believability to characters. And reasonable, sensible enemy banter helps make mooks more interesting.
..or the sheeps exploding when you clicked on them one time to many. XD

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Funny achievement title.

My favorite one is 'Can't Touch This' in Portal 2. You put a barrier beam in front of turret and dance in front of it.

Skullpanda

Jun 12, 2009
The wonderful joy of units or characters talking back to you when you do something stupid. Especially if your stupid wasn't planned out just to get said reaction.

On a more PC specific front...multiple control options. I love being able to choose what I'm going to be using to play a game, instead of being forced into one specific thing. I get that not everyone can code options into their games to allow for this, but certain games I just can't play using WASD controls...So whenever I see this available, I tend to look a bit closer at the game.