Miracle of Sound: Calamity (Bastion)

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Really really loved this one. I mean, I do usually like your stuff pretty consistently, but this was the first one in a while for me that's really struck a chord with me and risen above the rest. The best since Joker's Song, good job :)

Wild_Marker

Mar 31, 2011
Every song you make, I usually stand still, listening, paying attention. This one actually made my hip spontaneously start moving to the rythm. Awesome piece!!

(Also, have you played Spec Ops yet? I'm not even asking for a song about it, just play it. Then you'll want to make the song yourself, guaranteed :p )

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Wow. This sounds like it could have come right off the official soundtrack. The music, the singing, the Rucks impersenation... all brilliant. There were one or two lyrical quibbles(cloudburst moving in reverse? Wha?), but other than that, I think this is one of your best Gavin.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I can't *quite* synch your voice and the tone of the chorus with the Western atmosphere of Bastion. It's almost there, but I can't quite make it work in my head. I'm not sure what it is about the song that does this, since it's a great song overall and I really do like listening to it. I think it might just be a fundamental trait of your voice/accent here, which you can't change, so there's not much to be done about that part. Maybe I'd actually make it a little twangier, emphasize the Western elements even more to cover the fact that your voice just isn't going to be Rucks'. The disparity shows more in the chorus, where your voice rises up out of the guttural low sound, than the verses, where it's more like speaking than pure singing.

I think if the rest of the song were in the same kind of voice as happens in the second "Backtrack
Building the road back
Stone cracks
Hammers on the attack

We ride
Over the divide
I guide
Keep you on the right side"

then that would be kind of what I'm thinking of. The really gritty, grindy kind of voice. Not sure if the chorus could be sung in that or what, but.

I really like the lyrics, not to mention this is a song from a game I've actually played, so I'm thrilled to bits to see this. :) Bastion is pretty amazing, and it's definitely worth one of your songs. :)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
. There were one or two lyrical quibbles(cloudburst moving in reverse? Wha?), but other than that, I think this is one of your best Gavin.
haha yeah that line is a bit vague... it's to do with the Skyways and the idea of time moving backwards, without spoiling too much ;)

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
How strange is it that Bastion did nothing for me? Especially considering the fact that I like action RPGs.

Love the song though.

Almost forgot: if you're only doing 1 song per month now, what does it mean for Encore? Will it still be a monthly feature?

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
Well, if you doing one song per month means that we get more songs with the quality of this and Rise, then I'm all for the extra time. This was great and really has me wanting to go back and play the game again. Amazing work!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
. There were one or two lyrical quibbles(cloudburst moving in reverse? Wha?), but other than that, I think this is one of your best Gavin.
haha yeah that line is a bit vague... it's to do with the Skyways and the idea of time moving backwards, without spoiling too much ;)
Ah, yes. That. Makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

On another note, I JUST GOT QUOTED BY MIRICALE OF SOUND! *squee*

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Didn't actually like it. Too much rock, not enough blues; doesn't gel with the theme of the game's actual music. Maybe that's just the problem with doing music about a game that's specifically known for its soundtrack. Usually Miracle of Sound is really good about matching a game to its musical style (e.g. Sweet LA or Wheatley's Song), but this was just a swing and a miss.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Goddamn, the music sounds like it comes straight from the game itself. You couldn't have done a better job. One of my favourites, right here.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
As I said on twitter, the voice is awfully fitting, imho. Right there in between the narration and the background music.
As for the music itself, however, it feels a bit too heavy with the bass. Not as smooth as the game's actual music. It is a great song like always, though. Awesome work there, Gav =D

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
I've noticed I enjoy your songs much more if I have played the game in question. Absolutely loved this one. Great job as always!

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I adore how he kept in with the general genre-mixing style of the game's soundtrack.
However I don't believe his voice fit well enough into it. I think the song would have been stronger without vocals this time.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Farther than stars said:
Didn't actually like it. Too much rock, not enough blues; doesn't gel with the theme of the game's actual music. Maybe that's just the problem with doing music about a game that's specifically known for its soundtrack. Usually Miracle of Sound is really good about matching a game to its musical style (e.g. Sweet LA or Wheatley's Song), but this was just a swing and a miss.
Well, I don't try to copy the soundtrack of the game, that's the thing. I take elements that stood out to me (the acoustic guitar strumming, the Bjork 90s style drumbeats, the stabbing staccato strings, the vaguely Eastern sounding Ura instruments) and put into my own style :)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Dammit man, you're making everyone else on the internet look bad. At least give them a chance to compete.

[sub][sub][sub]Also, did anyone else feel a bit of early 2000s Maroon 5?[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Benedict

Feb 21, 2012
Holy bajeezus yes, this song was great. It really captured the feel of the game's soundtrack- was the main beat thing quoting/referencing Bynn the Breaker? Soon as I get my hands on this, I'm just gonna stick it right in my Bastion OST folder, it fits really well. Hats off, dude.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Benedict said:
Holy bajeezus yes, this song was great. It really captured the feel of the game's soundtrack- was the main beat thing quoting/referencing Bynn the Breaker?
Yes, absolutely, that was my favourite piece on the game's soundtrack :)