MIRACLEOFSOUND VS DOTA 2

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Notshauna said:
Yeah... That doesn't really work, the best thing you can seriously do to learn very early on is just play single player and try and last hit everything you can (the little enemy creatures that try to attack your buildings). Then once you get used to the very basics of last hitting, moving, etc you can play against a single bot and learn the very basics of playing against a hero. Once you get the basics down it's actually possible to teach people from there, because honestly at that point it's not game knowledge you need it's a grasp of the controls (and this isn't insulting the only people that actually get the controls the first time are people who played RTSes or other games like DotA)
I had basically only ever played games on Xbox before Dota and so I had no clue how to attack stuff when I first joined. I don't think I even got to the lane before abandoning. Just died in the jungle a few times.
Of course I chose morphling for my first ever game as well. My team was not happy with me.

Now, 1970 hours in, I even go positive some games. Its amazing.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
War_Dyn27 said:
If that was Gav's first game he really wasn't that bad, especially considering most of the other players would have been playing far longer. When I first started I kept getting killed by standing under the towers and losing to the easy AI.
It was my first ever game against other people. I got like, 6 kills in the next one.

TLDR: Grey's a douchenozzle.
I have some tips since you are a new player

1: Enemy Towers are bad. If you hit an enemy champ while under them they will target you over the creep.

2: Your towers are your friends. Try to keep the enemies under them for as long as possible.

3: When you get in team fights just spam all of your abilities. As soon as Cool down on them stops spam them some more.

4: If you see two or more enemies and you are alone please do not try to man mode in. Try to make sure there is at least as many people with you as there are against you when going into a fight. Don't be a hero.

5: Last one. Watch your health and Mana. Health regen is slow and it is very easy to get bursted down to dead.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
T3hSource said:
That exact Naruto theme is pretty dope. Good game regardless, the captions and edits made it extra amusing.
I couldn't actually focus on the match, because the whole time I am thinking about Naruto. THANK YOU default mental association.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
It's funny because in game the lads tend to all start shouting stuff at me like TP to MID LANE AND BUY OGRE HAMMER or THAT PA IS GONNA GANK YOU and I'm like WTF I don't speak Dotanese
I suppose this [http://a.pomf.se/ebzrqx.webm] sums up your reaction? =P

Here's a glossary [http://wiki.teamliquid.net/dota2/Glossary] of most of the terms you may come across in game. You know, if you want to keep playing that is...

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Omg. I knew Gav was bad from the Jimqusition podcast, but I didn't expect him to be THAT bad. It looks like he haven't played an RTS in his entire life (I know its not the same, but the micro carries over somewhat).

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
hickwarrior said:
I wonder, what was gav doing when he did nothing in the game?

Still, this was great. And yes, I understood all of it. Since you know, I played DotA 2 as well as others like it.
Probably waiting on cooldowns. A lot of players new to MOBA's forget that you can attack enemy champions, and not just throw spells at them.

That said, he was at least able to last hit a few times. Better than most people just starting in Dota2.

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. For some reason this was more entertaining than watching James Harding at the International.

I like to think I'm pretty good at the game. But if you take away my knowledge of how to use the right mouse button I fear I would be like this.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
IrenIvy said:
I understood nothing except Ogre Emotional Support Level: 100% moment and how I am curious on what was happening. Can any DOTA2 players explain the weave of the battle, maybe, for people who don't play this game and why that Faceless Void thing was bad (if it was)?
I realise that other people have explained somewhat, but if you want to see what the 'oh shit' was actually about, look for the big purple bubble thing. That's a spell Faceless Void casts, which pauses time for everyone inside it except himself. If he's powerful enough to murder all of you before it runs out, then that's exactly what he'll do.

And he did.

ot: as someone who's played enough DOTA2 to understand everything that was going on, but still remembers being a noob... that was enormously entertaining. I cracked up at the MLG cheers for his 7th cs almost half an hour into the game. Woooow.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
kouriichi said:
hickwarrior said:
I wonder, what was gav doing when he did nothing in the game?

Still, this was great. And yes, I understood all of it. Since you know, I played DotA 2 as well as others like it.
Probably waiting on cooldowns. A lot of players new to MOBA's forget that you can attack enemy champions, and not just throw spells at them.

That said, he was at least able to last hit a few times. Better than most people just starting in Dota2.
Or probably new players to mobas in general. I don't know how it went for me the first time. Don't remember. And that was when LoL was starting to build loads of steam. If that makes any sense.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
The Wooster said:
He's a faceless blue **** who freezes you in time and then beats you to death.
Not if you Ghost Scepter before he ults. ;)

Or, for bonus fun-points, have a teammate Ethereal Blade him after he ults.

All that frozen time....and nothing to do with it.

MiracleOfSound said:
I legit have no fucking idea what any of that meant.
Allow me to translate:

Paragraph 1: You played Orge 'like a baws'.

Paragraph 2: Whoever was playing Anti-Mage was a dick and nearly cost you the game.

That make more sense?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
As a league player who has played Dota in the past, I can both relate and feel embarrassed for Gav.

Ragnarok2kx

Nov 18, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Isalan said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Isalan said:
I'm pretty sure Ogre has a hidden passive where the more time you spend staring into space and tanking creep waves, the better your multi-cast chances. Legit play from Gav right there.

And dem fat Magina throws. Its not a real game of Dota til someone buys back, TP's into the middle of 5 enemies and dies having done no damage.
I legit have no fucking idea what any of that meant.
It's like an entirely separate language that takes 1000 hours to learn the basics of, then once your confident enough to speak it others will tell you every chance you get that your pronunciation is crap and that should die in a car fire.

On reflection, that might not make any sense either.
It's funny because in game the lads tend to all start shouting stuff at me like TP to MID LANE AND BUY OGRE HAMMER or THAT PA IS GONNA GANK YOU and I'm like WTF I don't speak Dotanese
Somebody on the dota forums offered this little gem to express how he felt as a newbie to the game.

http://a.pomf.se/ebzrqx.webm.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That was just hilarious, loved the editing and everything. Tho I'm generally a sucker for MLG silly edited videos, especially dota2-related. I really love/hate that game so much. First F2P game that i actually spent money in, too. Impressive stuff.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This was beyond glorious. The editing you did and adding the random gifs really boosted my laughter.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Does anyone still consider themselves even remotely passable at this game? I've wanted to learn from a good coach for several months now, but the search gets me nothing. Every game I play now Rikimaru just waltzes in and destroys everyone.