Mirror's Edge 2 Announced

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
guitarsniper said:
lacktheknack said:
AxelxGabriel said:
How the hell was Mirror's Edge successful in anyway to warrant a sequel?
More than two million copies sold...

OT: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee...

If this is revealed to be Xbone exclusive at E3, I will set EA's offices on fire. All of them.
It won't. Twitter and facebook accounts both say XBone, PC, and PS4
Oh thank goodness. This was pretty much the one thing that could have given me pause about totally abandoning the Xbone.

This is so freaking awesome. I can't wait...

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
About bloody time. I'll be treating this with nothing but skepticism and scrutiny. Why has it taken so long, What's EA playing at? also it's EA.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Granted, Mirror's Edge wasn't exactly the most glorified game ever, nor was it spectacular in any way. But for some reason, playing it made me feel calm and comfortable, maybe it's the clean aesthetics and stuff. That made love the game, I believe I went through it 3 times around, I'm looking forward for this one as well :)

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
That is a proper release date right there! More titles should have the "when it's ready" mentality.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Awesome, the original was such a thrill. It'll be nice to see an updated version. No other game has been able to illicit the same feeling as taking a leap and missing.

Oculus Rift Support? Or is that simply too good?

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
I haven't played the first one, but this one looks pretty good. I might pick up the first one at some point.

Mordekaien said:
Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck.....
I guess you'll just have to have Faith. hahaHA
I'll be quiet now.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I will break my self-imposed ban on EA games for this. SERIOUSLY. WANT. Pity they didn't hire the old writers though.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
AxelxGabriel said:
To date it has sold 2 million copies. Not the biggest fish obviously but with an enthusiastic audience of modest proportion a competent production and development team can make money. Remember, Rom-coms are more profitable than summer blockbusters. Besides, SNIPER: GHOST WARRIOR got a sequel...

I for one am very excited to see its return.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ah, Mirror's Edge, hello my old friend. So good to see you again.

Looks gorgeous. I'm so glad they matched the aesthetic of the original.

Now... it just needs to be released on PS4.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
trollnystan said:
I will break my self-imposed ban on EA games for this. SERIOUSLY. WANT. Pity they didn't hire the old writers though.
Why? I don't think anyone enjoyed the original game for its storyline. Hopefully a new set of writers will add a story in there with the fun roof hopping game mechanics.

Damn, it is EA. Looks like I'll have to wait until I find a really low-priced sale on it. Sorry Mirror's Edge, I'd buy you early but you keep really strange bedfellows and I'd rather wait until well after you've been tested.

AxelxGabriel said:
Really fun gameplay. The story was crap/non-existent but you really got a rush from the gameplay. Taking a leap and missing a ledge actually made your heart jump sometimes. That's not a feat other games usually accomplish.

I'm really hoping for some occulus rift love with this title if the rift ever actually comes out. It's almost too good a match.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
Proverbial Jon said:
Ah, Mirror's Edge, hello my old friend. So good to see you again.

Looks gorgeous. I'm so glad they matched the aesthetic of the original.

Now... it just needs to be released on PS4.
Once again, I'll just leave these here:

https://twitter.com/mirrorsedge/status/344198222119587840
https://twitter.com/EA_DICE/status/344206849089880065
https://www.facebook.com/mirrorsedge

I did send a message to the article author suggesting that the release platforms be listed, but nothing came of it unfortunately.
Hey, thanks for the update! That's great news. I can now officially be excited about a new Mirror's Edge!

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Lightknight said:
trollnystan said:
Why? I don't think anyone enjoyed the original game for its storyline. Hopefully a new set of writers will add a story in there with the fun roof hopping game mechanics.
I thought the story was kinda interesting, if very, very bare bones. That's not wholly the writers' fault though as a lot of Faith's dialogue got cut apparently because of reactions by focus testers by this disembodied voice suddenly cutting in. I would also have liked it if the run-run-run-or-you'll-be-shot chapters could've been broken up by one or two more relaxed runs in the middle.

Anyway, having read a bit of what Rhianna Pratchett - main writer if not THE writer - has recently said, and how this is not as much a sequel as a retconning reboot, I am a bit sad that the effort she put into the both the first game and the comics to establish both the world and Faith's character and personality are being tossed out. You'd think having established lore would make it easier to make a game and build a story on, but apparently not according to Dice.

It could still turn out good/better, so I'm going to try to stay cautiously optimistic about it =)

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
The bare bonesness of the story was kind of appealing. It hinted at a greater depth to the world, without actually limiting it, leaving so much to the imagination. Why don't people do this anymore.

When you craft a world, showing the entire world in great detail actually detracts from that world. It is the unknowns that add wonder, and inspire curiosity.

I wonder how they could possibly reboot Mirror's Edge, and not mess it up.

snave said:
Scars Unseen said:
It was the gunplay that sucked in Mirror's Edge, which you will notice there was none of.
Wait, what? You could actually use those guns? The tutorial only showed me how to flick out the clip and discard them, so that's all I did.
You can discard clips? I normally just left the guns lying there, if I didn't fire them.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Monster_user said:
The bare bonesness of the story was kind of appealing. It hinted at a greater depth to the world, without actually limiting it, leaving so much to the imagination. Why don't people do this anymore.

When you craft a world, showing the entire world in great detail actually detracts from that world. It is the unknowns that add wonder, and inspire curiosity.

I wonder how they could possibly reboot Mirror's Edge, and not mess it up.

snave said:
Scars Unseen said:
It was the gunplay that sucked in Mirror's Edge, which you will notice there was none of.
Wait, what? You could actually use those guns? The tutorial only showed me how to flick out the clip and discard them, so that's all I did.
You can discard clips? I normally just left the guns lying there, if I didn't fire them.
I think so. My memory is hazy now. I seem to recall she'd click them around a bit before casting them aside. Maybe I'm just mentally inserting narrative justification in retrospect?

I think the way to expand upon Mirror's Edge, whilst still maintaining that mystery, and even to please violence-happy publishers would be to branch it out, sorta like old Starfox 64, only instead of having the "easy", "medium" and "hard" difficulty paths, the paths would be "shooting and platforming" (the low route), "predominantly platforming" (the middle route) and "hardcore platforming" (the rooftop route), with both reconnecting paths in the same level and entirely different level exits linking and splitting the levels and leading ultimately to minor plot divergences (order of learning about events) and perhaps multiple endings.

For example, say you're in a room that's being piled up with guards meeting for whatever reason. A pair of dudes are about to leave in the elevator. None have seen you yet. You've got two options:

1) Quickly jump behind a pillar, vault a barricade and wall kick up to a catwalk, striding over some supports and slipping into an obvious hatch (highlighted organically to the player) and ultimately getting on top of the elevator itself just before the two dudes push the button, riding it up the shaft and escaping out a maintainence hatch onto a platformy rooftop section.

2) Instead, you can sneak up behind one guard, grab his weapon, and shoot everyone in the room. By this point, you've either missed the elevator, or those guards have come after you too. The only way out now is to take the elevator itself, which you do so, leading you to a window-lined penthouse office. The office contains another standoff with some thugs in suits, and ultimately a chase, but outside the window, you can see the alternate puzzley pathway in the background. Both paths converge on an arbitrary helipad.

Ultimately, different pathways would give different glimpses into the great setting of the game, and I think would flesh it out without saturating the player.