Mirror's Edge 2 Goes Open World

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I'm always thought Mirror's Edge would be great as a free roam but it does take away a bit from the obstacle course type layout of a traditional "platforming" level.

Also I think a reboot is completely unnecessary. I understand they want to keep the Mirror's Edge name because then it wouldn't be a "risky new IP," but there's no need to reboot Faith as well, she's hardly an iconic character and if they're taking the character in a new direction why not just make a new main character all together and keep Faith's story as part of established lore or something?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
razer17 said:
I wish people would stop saying "Don't fuck this up EA". If anyone fucks it up, it's DICE. You know, the people who are actually developing the game? I know some people here seem th think this, but I doubt EA execs are actively sitting around a table saying "How can we tank our company?". Dice is a big boy now, and alongside the Sims and Sports titles, probably have the most autonomy of any EA studio/ partner, just through sheer weight of reputation and selling power. Yes, EA is the one with the funding and they could technically call the shots, I just doubt they do much of that with Dice.
There's one thing that scares me, though, and it's an EA thing: DICE said "It will be done when it's finished."

Now, what happens if EA gets antsy and says "Gah, have it out next month" too early?

That's my only fear for the game.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I?m kind of neutral on it being open world. Many open world games seem to lose focus and end up having a lot of screwing around and padding. Part of the fun of Mirror Edge was trying to pull of all the moves flawlessly and finish the level in the fastest, most effective way possible. I'm a little concern that would be lost if they make it open world.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
A new Mirrors Edge is downright awesome news, I loved the first one and after playing it, I´ve been wishing for a new game. A prequel/reboot was not what i particularly had in mind, but that doesn´t really matter, since, well, more Mirrors Edge! More first person platforming-freerunning. And more of that groovy-stylish world.

I don´t mind it being a open-world game, at least if the freerunning is as fun as it was before. Just as long as the overall "feel" of the world stays more or less the same, and they don´t intend to make it more shooter-ish. Disarming people and knocking them out is okay, but all that shooting didn´t really feel right in the first game. But... who knows, i guess. I just hope they don´t do anything stupid with the series.

And boy, i really loved the way the world looked and felt in Mirrors Edge. So yeah. This is most likely my News of the Month, or something like that. Made me very happy and all.