Mirror's Edge: Catalyst will not have gun combat

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Every time this topic is brought up I have to do a double take because I keep forgetting you could use guns in the first one.
I would've been fine with guns as long as they'd remained completely optional.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I blame Anita Sarkeesian as they called her in to advise them on how to make the game. She's always banging on about how humanity isnt a sexually dimorphic species and how true feminists are pacifists.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Good. The shooting mechanics in that game were awful anyway. Really, all they have to do is make the boss fights (and I'm assuming there will be more than the one last game) enjoyable and we'll be perfect.

verdant monkai said:
I blame Anita Sarkeesian as they called her in to advise them on how to make the game. She's always banging on about how humanity isnt a sexually dimorphic species and how true feminists are pacifists.
<youtube=LQCU36pkH7c>

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Thank God for that, the combat is terrible, but the guns made it even more stiff and awkward.

Now, if only they could make the platforming functional and it could be a really good game.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
verdant monkai said:
I had it coming I guess. I did call Sarkeesian into question on the internet.
No. You had it coming because she was never called in to advise on the game. That is a 3 year old rumor taken from a blog on Destructoid that was quickly debunked.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
When this game was first announced and they started talking about open world I was worried they were going to go for mass appeal, make it more combat oriented (though it could still be that) and lose one of things I like about the original which is that is was focused. Just adding more stuff isn't always a good. While not completely convinced this announcement dose give me hope they haven't done that and are going to focus on making what made ME unique and fun as good as it can be rather than trying to be too many things at once.

jamail77 said:
verdant monkai said:
I had it coming I guess. I did call Sarkeesian into question on the internet.
No. You had it coming because she was never called in to advise on the game. That is a 3 year old rumor taken from a blog on Destructoid that was quickly debunked.
It also comes up and gets debunked every time this game is mentioned. At least this time no one has come in screaming "boycott!" from a rumour.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
DementedSheep said:
It also comes up and get debunked every time this game is mentioned. At least this time no one has come in screaming "boycott!" from a rumour.
It's a game from DICE published by EA, do we really need more reason then that to have a call for boycotts anyway?

Sep 13, 2009
I may be alone in this... but I kind of liked the guns.

Not because I used them. I think I used them around two or three times in the game before quickly discarding them. I liked being able to pick up a gun and think "Wait, I'm way better than a gun" and throw it away. Then there's the rare occasion where you take someone out, take their gun and shoot the next guy before tossing it away. I would hate for it to be a better option, but I'm a little disappointed it isn't one at all.

Admittedly, in the realm of complaints to have about a game, this is incredibly minor. I'm excited to see what they do with this game, Mirror's Edge has a lot of potential in it

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Zhukov said:
Actually, kinda with you on that one. (Also somewhat with you on the power fantasy thing in general, but with caveats.)

Being immune to bullets by going fast enough as a mechanic leaves me scratching my head a bit.

Hopefully they make it so it's a challenge in itself to maintain enough momentum to get that effect. If so, I can get behind it, even if it does sound a bit goofy. We shall see.
Add another one.
I personally don't like the idea of being immune to bullets because I'm going fast enough, if anything, I'd like that to really make me think about how I use the "flow" in such a way that I can strategically dodge the bullets and keep it going, not just hit 88mph and jump into 1955.
Anyway.
Mm, not sure how I feel yet. I used the guns in Mirror's Edge. Did I used them often or for very long, no, and when I really learned the levels I stopped using them entirely but they were kind of nice to have until then, at least for me.
I' mat least hoping the hand-to-hand stays, while I completely agree that non-violent is pretty much the completely right way to play Mirror's Edge, I still want a threat to be wary of and while running will probably be the preferred option, I want it to be just one option, I want to be able to neutralize when I feel like I should. But it seems like there's no worry of that going away so I think I'm set.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Extra-Ordinary said:
I' mat least hoping the hand-to-hand stays, while I completely agree that non-violent is pretty much the completely right way to play Mirror's Edge, I still want a threat to be wary of and while running will probably be the preferred option, I want it to be just one option, I want to be able to neutralize when I feel like I should. But it seems like there's no worry of that going away so I think I'm set.
From what I've read, you have two attack buttons. One lets you quickly smack a dude in passing and maintain your momentum, the other does extra damage based on your momentum but slows you down.

Smoketrail

May 15, 2015
I hate to say it but, right from the first trailer, the more that I learn about catalyst the less excited I feel. Which is really sad as I ended up loving the original when I played it last year.

But now the new one's got:
no gun play,
the weird momentum invincibility supposedly,
is open world
and is a prequel that somehow looks more sci-fi than the original.

Unless the reviews are stellar looks like this is going to my when/if I get around to it list.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I don't really like FPS's so if it focuses more on the free running elements and irons out the kinks with that, it might be a game I would be interested in taking a look at. I wasn't a fan of the gunplay in the oringinal Mirrors edge but I did like the first person free running concept.