Misused Terms You're Sick of Seeing

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:
Rape culture: The idea that we live in a rape culture is ridiculous. In a society where male students will be expelled immediately and found guilty until proven innocent, there is no such thing as a rape culture.
Definitely this. I hate this stupid term so much. No, we do not live in a "rape culture". Some highly tribal parts of central Asia? That's a rape culture. A first world western country? No it's fucking not, stop being so stupid.
While I wholeheartedly beleive we don't live in a rape culture, when you read stories about victims being silenced and punished while perpetrators are protected at all costs by authorities (stuff like high schools protecting football players), it gets hard to still beleive we don't live in a rape culture. While victims are shamed and perpetrators are protected, its hard to fault that some parts of rape culture are still seeped into our society, we may not be living in a rape culture but I think aspects of it are in our society.
Yeah, but that isn't what you'd call a rape culture, because a rape culture is one in which rape is totally acceptable on a societal level, but it's absolutely not in the west. I'd argue that a lot Arab culture nations have a rape culture, because when a woman needs 5 eyewitnesses to prove rape, you know she's never gonna get a fair shake. Victim shaming, and protecting the perpetrators is usually a symptom of having really screwed up priorities, like when a girl accuses the local football star of raping her, and gets silenced, especially when it's proven it happened. That's not rape culture, what it is having fucked up priorities, and it needs to stop.

Pikeperch

May 3, 2010
HannesPascal said:
Exponential, it does not mean that something is growing really fast it means that it increases with a constant factor. If I put 1 dollar in a bank with 1 % (constant) interest rate it will steadily increase with 1 % every (let's say) month and it will take 39 years before that 1 dollar has become 100 dollars. On the other hand if I work and get 1 million dollars every month my wealth will increase rapidly but it won't increase exponentially. Eventually (180 years) that one dollar that I had in the bank will have become more than the 1 million dollars I get every month.
To make matters worse, I quite often see people use it as a synonym for "a lot". For instance, "A is exponentially bigger than B". What's that even supposed to mean?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
InvisibleJim said:
I do believe 'feminism' had over 80% of the votes on a Time poll as the word most people wanted expunged from the language last year. Until feminists heard about this and threw a tantrum, of course. I guess it is time to purge it and its associated ideas from the English lexicon.
You do realize that you could vote on that poll as many times as you wanted to right? I voted for the word "bae" like 6 times before I became bored and gave up, so mentioning that some ocd people sat there and voted for feminist as many times as they did isn't exactly making them look good for doing so. In fact if feminism was voted for that many times, it would only go to should that it is actually more needed than people thought.

Hatred and backlash towards women's equality isn't exactly showing that they have accomplished their goals yet.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
InvisibleJim said:
Lil devils x said:
InvisibleJim said:
I do believe 'feminism' had over 80% of the votes on a Time poll as the word most people wanted expunged from the language last year. Until feminists heard about this and threw a tantrum, of course. I guess it is time to purge it and its associated ideas from the English lexicon.
You do realize that you could vote on that poll as many times as you wanted to right? I voted for the word "bae" like 6 times before I became bored and gave up, so mentioning that some ocd people sat there and voted for feminist as many times as they did isn't exactly making them look good for doing so. In fact if feminism was voted for that many times, it would only go to should that it is actually more needed than people thought.

Hatred and backlash towards women's equality isn't exactly showing that they have accomplished their goals yet.
The ability of all groups to equally brigade a poll does not make a poll unrepresentative.

So, yes, certainly worthy of a purge.
Actually it does, since most people do not hate something enough to sit there and spam a poll. If someone hates something enough to sit there and spam a poll, it shows they still have issues that needs to be resolved. In this circumstance, for them to hate the idea of women's equality so much to sit there and spam a poll, it shows that they have not yet come anywhere near accomplishing it. When people are indifferent to women's equality because equality is the norm, then it will not be on " hate word lists" instead it just falls out of usage by not being needed.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:
Rape culture: The idea that we live in a rape culture is ridiculous. In a society where male students will be expelled immediately and found guilty until proven innocent, there is no such thing as a rape culture.
Definitely this. I hate this stupid term so much. No, we do not live in a "rape culture". Some highly tribal parts of central Asia? That's a rape culture. A first world western country? No it's fucking not, stop being so stupid.
While I wholeheartedly beleive we don't live in a rape culture, when you read stories about victims being silenced and punished while perpetrators are protected at all costs by authorities (stuff like high schools protecting football players), it gets hard to still beleive we don't live in a rape culture. While victims are shamed and perpetrators are protected, its hard to fault that some parts of rape culture are still seeped into our society, we may not be living in a rape culture but I think aspects of it are in our society.
Yeah, but that isn't what you'd call a rape culture, because a rape culture is one in which rape is totally acceptable on a societal level, but it's absolutely not in the west. I'd argue that a lot Arab culture nations have a rape culture, because when a woman needs 5 eyewitnesses to prove rape, you know she's never gonna get a fair shake. Victim shaming, and protecting the perpetrators is usually a symptom of having really screwed up priorities, like when a girl accuses the local football star of raping her, and gets silenced, especially when it's proven it happened. That's not rape culture, what it is having fucked up priorities, and it needs to stop.
Victim blaming and protecting perpetrators from justice are definitely important parts of rape culture though, although I agree that Western society is very far from being a rape culture, with the act of rape itself being horrific to 99% of western society. Perhaps a new word is needed to capture a situation between a full-on rape culture and the situation where rape is considered horrific but at the same time subtle things like victim blaming and organisations protecting prominent figures whom are rapists occur.

On a side note, what the hell happened to the captcas today? The one I got when trying to post this earlier was pretty much unsolvable...

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Ronald Nand said:
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:
Victim blaming and protecting perpetrators from justice are definitely important parts of rape culture though, although I agree that Western society is very far from being a rape culture, with the act of rape itself being horrific to 99% of western society. Perhaps a new word is needed to capture a situation between a full-on rape culture and the situation where rape is considered horrific but at the same time subtle things like victim blaming and organisations protecting prominent figures whom are rapists occur.

On a side note, what the hell happened to the captcas today? The one I got when trying to post this earlier was pretty much unsolvable...
By definition however, The US IS still rape culture. The problem however, is people think rape is bad, just they rarely think what they did was rape when they actually rape or that the rape was " deserved."
For example, not even children are exempt from vitim blaming in court in the US:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/28/gang-rape-victim-jared-len-cruse_n_2205190.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/28/teacher-rape-montana/2722817/

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
InvisibleJim said:
Lil devils x said:
InvisibleJim said:
Lil devils x said:
InvisibleJim said:

The ability of all groups to equally brigade a poll does not make a poll unrepresentative.

So, yes, certainly worthy of a purge.
Actually it does, since most people do not hate something enough to sit there and spam a poll. If someone hates something enough to sit there and spam a poll, it shows they still have issues that needs to be resolved. In this circumstance, for them to hate the idea of women's equality so much to sit there and spam a poll, it shows that they have not yet come anywhere near accomplishing it. When people are indifferent to women's equality because equality is the norm, then it will not be on " hate word lists" instead it just falls out of usage by not being needed.
Surely this thread is sufficient evidence that feminists are more than willing to sit and spam a poll?
How so? Spamming the word " bae" 6 times because of what kid used to call me in school has nothing to do with feminism..

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Ronald Nand said:
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:

I understand the point, and yes it is a huge part of a rape culture, but the biggest part of rape culture is that rape is a socially acceptable thing. The problem we get into with part of victim blaming in western culture is women(and sometimes men, but far less often) occasionally accuse an innocent person, usually for petty personal reasons, or to grab attention. That in turn damages any legitimate rape claim any real victim has, thus giving alleged rapists the benefit of the doubt more, even when they're guilty as sin. Then with a prominent person, personal feelings for those people actually amplify that benefit of the doubt mentality, sometimes to the point of dismissing damning evidence. Then there is the side note of false rape allegations ruining people's lives on so many levels, even if they get acquitted. We have a system of innocent until proven guilty, and I wish we'd apply it to the court of public opinion more, so that actual justice can be served.

Also on the captcha note. For me it's been strangely accurate to the topics I post, funnily enough in kind of a judgemental way. Stop judging me captcha!

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Ronald Nand said:
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:

I understand the point, and yes it is a huge part of a rape culture, but the biggest part of rape culture is that rape is a socially acceptable thing. The problem we get into with part of victim blaming in western culture is women(and sometimes men, but far less often) occasionally accuse an innocent person, usually for petty personal reasons, or to grab attention. That in turn damages any legitimate rape claim any real victim has, thus giving alleged rapists the benefit of the doubt more, even when they're guilty as sin. Then with a prominent person, personal feelings for those people actually amplify that benefit of the doubt mentality, sometimes to the point of dismissing damning evidence. Then there is the side note of false rape allegations ruining people's lives on so many levels, even if they get acquitted. We have a system of innocent until proven guilty, and I wish we'd apply it to the court of public opinion more, so that actual justice can be served.

Also on the captcha note. For me it's been strangely accurate to the topics I post, funnily enough in kind of a judgemental way. Stop judging me captcha!
WHen guys get together in groups to rape people, yea it is socially acceptable and an actual social event for those people. Gang rape IS an issue in the US, so yes it does qualify. 21 men getting together to rape an 11 year old girl, of course that would be considered socially acceptable as they made it a social event. Even worse the town and attorney actually blamed the child for being raped.
For example:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Another-girl-may-have-been-gang-raped-in-Cleveland-4864500.php
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/10/27/california.gang.rape.investigation/
http://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2015/04/14/panama-city-alleged-gang-rape-scene-cell-phone-video.cnn

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
inu-kun said:
Lil devils x said:
Ronald Nand said:
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:

WHen guys get together in groups to rape people, yea it is socially acceptable and an actual social event for those people. Gang rape IS an issue in the US, so yes it does qualify. 21 men getting together to rape an 11 year old girl, of course that would be considered socially acceptable as they made it a social event. Even worse the town and attorney actually blamed the child for being raped.
For example:
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Another-girl-may-have-been-gang-raped-in-Cleveland-4864500.php
http://www.cnn.com/videos/justice/2015/04/14/panama-city-alleged-gang-rape-scene-cell-phone-video.cnn
That's ridiculous, you might as well say that when group of thieves rob a place together it's a thievery culture.
inu-kun while I agree in some instances context makes a lot of sense.

That being said I should clarify my point: In a rape culture rape is socially acceptable on a large cultural scale. Not in the context of a single gang rape, but as something a whole larger society as a whole finds okay on a cultural level.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
inu-kun said:
Lil devils x said:
Ronald Nand said:
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:

For example:
That's ridiculous, you might as well say that when group of thieves rob a place together it's a thievery culture.
When a group of thieves robs a place does the town come out and blame the people who were robbed? Does the attorney call the children who were robbed a " spider luring them into her web"? I think not.
When we have towns blaming a child for being molested and raped by 21 men, there is a problem here.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2011/03/a_lot_of_people_in_cleveland_t.html

When you blame people for being robbed and many robbers go free due to victim blaming, then we can talk about "Thievery culture."

Even worse they STILL blame women for the way they dress for being raped when the opposite is true:

"Even though it is thought that women who dress provocatively are the most likely to be rape, studies show that women with passive, submissive personalities are more likely to get raped. These women tend to wear clothes that are concealing such as high neckline, long pants and long sleeves. This may sound ironic but, predatory men can identify submissive women by their style of dress."
http://internetwriter62.hubpages.com/hub/Through-the-Eyes-of-Criminals-Ways-not-to-be-Singled-Out

Don't wear high neck lines, long sleeves and pants and and don't be shy and modest if you don't want to be raped... Yea.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Secondhand Revenant said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
When certain numbnuts get it into their heads that racism and sexism mean something different to the dictionary definition because gender studies said so and dictionaries are 8 kinds of -ist.

"Herteronormative". You mean straight you pompous ****.

"cisgender", otherwise known as "not transgender". And just the word "cis" is tinged with so much venom whenever I hear people say it.

Edit: I made this when very tired, yes I'm aware that one or two of them is just ranting against words in general.
Psst you should check what a term means before complaining. Heteronormative does not mean straight. It isn't an orientation. So yeaaaaah maybe not call people pompous cunts just because they use a word you apparently don't know. The proper course is to actually ask what it means not scream insults because you don't know something, that's just not proper adult behavior
I thought the edit section addressed that but since we're here.

I have since "le educated myself", and found some truly wunderbar things.

First, that the term is extremely recent, originating in 1992.
Second, that it's from a field of study, or in this case, spawned from two, "queer studies" and women's studies.
Third, that it's only used in an academic sense when discussing those fields of study.
Fourth, I've apparently never seen or heard it used correctly, but considering this is the internet, and the character of the people I've normally seen/heard use the term, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Fifth, if people just bloody stuck to saying "that is both a sexist and homophobic belief" (assuming they bloody used those words right too), instead of using highly niche academic terms in a vain attempt to sound smart, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Why do I sound so aggressive and angry? I don't know, I swear to god it's this site. It's become everyone walking on coals wanting to devour each other.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
inu-kun said:
Lil devils x said:
inu-kun said:
Lil devils x said:
Ronald Nand said:
Ronald Nand said:
infohippie said:
Yan007 said:

For example:
When a group of thieves robs a place does the town come out and blame the people who were robbed? Does the attorney call the children who were robbed a " spider luring them into her web"? I think not.
When we have towns blaming a child for being molested and raped by 21 men, there is a problem here.
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2011/03/a_lot_of_people_in_cleveland_t.html

When you blame people for being robbed and many robbers go free due to victim blaming, then we can talk about "Thievery culture."
But that's the defence attorney saying it, it's his job to get his clients off the hook for the crime. Mind you, that's an horrifying strategy but because the problems of communication of wanting/not-wanting sex it can (sadly) work. In the end the more important question is whether the judge or jury accepted it, if they did there is a serious problem.

I think the problem about rape is that there's an actual opposite problem an anti-rape culture (stay with me here). Rape is considered such a vile crime in all media (worse than murder and torture) that people cannot accept it's existence, especially small towns who'd rather turn on the victim than have it "stain" their community.
Judges still do blame victims all the time, not all cases even make the news such as this one did due to the judge outright making comments about it.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/28/teacher-rape-montana/2722817/

Once you get past most rapes not being reported you also have most rapes reported are not even prosecuted. Police often do not even bother to have the rape kits tested. People file reports then nothing happens, or even worse they attempt to blame a child for being molested? YIKES. Usually these things only make news when the victim being blamed is young, they go to the press, or the Judge puts their foot in their mouth.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2015/03/16/danielle_hicks_best_says_she_was_raped_when_she_was_11_but_cops_say_all.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-judge-recuses-herself-after-doubting-rape-victim/
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/09/25/3572263/pennsylvania-blame-rape-victim/

Metailurus

Roar
Apr 2, 2015
Lil devils x said:
InvisibleJim said:

I don't know. "feminism" or "bae". Both words that equally require expunging. One could argue that they are brain bleach worthy in fact.

If the past 9 months or so are a reasonable indication of online behaviour; On balance, feminists are probably more likely to brigade any social topic online than any other group. (in my not so humble opinion, I suppose)

This partly political post was brought to you by the equal opportunity language expungement party.