____gate

Almost every little argument/ scandal is now a *something*gate
There should be a gategate!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yan007 said:
Rape culture: The idea that we live in a rape culture is ridiculous. In a society where male students will be expelled immediately and found guilty until proven innocent, there is no such thing as a rape culture.
In that hypothetical society, yes, there probably wouldn't be a rape culture.

As that is a very rare thing following a rape on campus in the real world, not terribly relevant.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
You know what? I'm transgender, want me to call you normal?
WHAT THE HELL?! I called you trans once (assuming that you were) and be blew a freaking gasket saying that I was insulting you! Now you?re saying that you are? What happened? Did you decide to get a sex change in the past few weeks?

OH WOW! Look at that! I went back to go and find the evidence and you edited the post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.874831-Ace-Ventura-was-transphobic-Really?page=5#21986995

For me it?s the word ?digress.? I hate when people say ?But I digress,? when they weren?t actually digressing.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Steve Waltz said:
WHAT THE HELL?! I called you trans once (assuming that you were) and be blew a freaking gasket saying that I was insulting you! Now you?re saying that you are? What happened? Did you decide to get a sex change in the past few weeks?

OH WOW! Look at that! I went back to go and find the evidence and you edited the post: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.874831-Ace-Ventura-was-transphobic-Really?page=5#21986995
Errr... You are aware that the problem in the post you linked was the "transvestite" part, right? It's not the same thing as "transgender".
Transvestite literally means "cross-dresser". It has nothing to do with gender-identity.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
thaluikhain said:
loa said:
___phobic
Newsflash, "phobia" means "fear of" which is not in fact equal to "hatred for" and no, the term sounding super catchy doesn't change that. I am an arachnophobe, I freeze up if I see a big spider crawling out of my bedsheets. That doesn't mean I hate spiders, I actually find them interesting to look at... from afar.
Phobia has that meaning, yes, but it's not the only meaning it has. Then there are people that argue that hatred is based on fear anyway.
Well I just think it deflects and excuses like "oh those poor people are afreaid of homosexuals".
No, no that's not what's going on. Maybe in some fringe groups, sure, but let's not make that the focus?

We don't refer to nazis in their context as "semitephobes" either you know.
Anti-semitism is a thing and it pretty accurately describes itself.
Of course anti-homosexual doesn't sound as neat as "homophobic" with all its cute little o-s that people love saying.

Anyway that's why I think this term catching on is more like a fashion statement than accurately describing what's going on which is a bit disturbing, given the context.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
GabeZhul said:
Steve Waltz said:

Errr... You are aware that the problem in the post you linked was the "transvestite" part, right? It's not the same thing as "transgender".
Transvestite literally means "cross-dresser". It has nothing to do with gender-identity.
No, I wasn?t. So a transvestite is a person that just puts on the clothes, and a transgender person is someone that gets an operation?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Steve Waltz said:
For me it?s the word ?digress.? I hate when people say ?But I digress,? when they weren?t actually digressing.
Heh, that's a good one, yeah.

loa said:
thaluikhain said:
loa said:
___phobic
Newsflash, "phobia" means "fear of" which is not in fact equal to "hatred for" and no, the term sounding super catchy doesn't change that. I am an arachnophobe, I freeze up if I see a big spider crawling out of my bedsheets. That doesn't mean I hate spiders, I actually find them interesting to look at... from afar.
Phobia has that meaning, yes, but it's not the only meaning it has. Then there are people that argue that hatred is based on fear anyway.
Well I just think it deflects and excuses like "oh those poor people are afreaid of homosexuals".
No, no that's not what's going on. Maybe in some fringe groups, sure, but let's not make that the focus?

We don't refer to nazis in their context as "semitephobes" either you know.
Anti-semitism is a thing and it pretty accurately describes itself.
Of course anti-homosexual doesn't sound as neat as "homophobic" with all its cute little o-s that people love saying.

Anyway that's why I think this term catching on is more like a fashion statement than accurately describing what's going on which is a bit disturbing, given the context.
Ah, fair enough, I hadn't thought of that. Normally I see objections like that as an attempt to pretend the issue somehow doesn't exist.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Steve Waltz said:
GabeZhul said:
No, I wasn?t. So a transvestite is a person that just puts on the clothes, and a transgender person is someone that gets an operation?
More or less, though one can be transgender even without surgery, it's enough that they identify as the other gender (though I am sure that scientifically it requires a bunch of other confirmations, like brain-structure/chemistry and psychological cues).

A transvestite is just a person who dresses in the clothes of the opposite sex, though in the case of women it usually also implies hiding their gender altogether (since in modern western culture women are allowed to wear male clothing anyway). The thing is though that transvestites don't necessarily dress like the opposite sex because they identify as them but for other reasons (fetish, protest, hiding identity, etc.)

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Everything. We should communicate in pictures. Cat pictures.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
"that begs the question"

So you're saying that the thing you just said was an informal fallacy based on the insertion of your intended conclusion into the premise of your argument? Because that what question begging is.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
LeathermanKick25 said:
I really don't care about this whole gender identity nonsense [...] Sexuality is more than simple enough to get the point across on this forum. I'm straight, people understand what that means.
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
"Herteronormative". You mean straight you pompous ****.
I think you've got the wrong idea: this thread is about misuses we want people to stop using. We're not meant to encourage others to misuse terms.

Wanting people to misuse terms is literally the opposite of what this thread is about.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Silvanus said:
I think you've got the wrong idea: this thread is about misuses we want people to stop using. We're not meant to encourage others to misuse terms.

Wanting people to misuse terms is literally the opposite of what this thread is about.
Not sure what the right GIF image to post here would be, but yeah, what Silvanus said.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
thaluikhain said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Er, hetero means straight, the normative part change things somewhat.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
"cisgender", otherwise known as "not transgender".
So? Why does that make it a bad word? Why not replace "straight" with "not LGB" by the same logic?
Well if Heteronormative means something else then I'm sorry, cause that's the only thing I've ever seen people use it for. It just seems like an elongated version of "straight" in every context I've seen it used. If you'd like to provide another, go ahead.

Not, for lack of better phrasing, "being trans" is the default. If we came up with new words for each and every default of not being something it'd be a mess.

Silvanus said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:

True, I kind of just ranted about words I'm sick of hearing on the internet. My bad.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Well if Heteronormative means something else then I'm sorry, cause that's the only thing I've ever seen people use it for. It just seems like an elongated version of "straight" in every context I've seen it used. If you'd like to provide another, go ahead.
Well, wiki has this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteronormativity

My explanation would be that it's when being straight isn't a sexuality, one amongst many, instead it's the only sexuality that could or should exist.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Not, for lack of better phrasing, "being trans" is the default. If we came up with new words for each and every default of not being something it'd be a mess.
Well, being straight is the default. Being able-bodied is the default. I don't see how having words for what most people is a problem, otherwise we'd have to say "like most people" sexual/bodied or something.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
"Agnostic". No, it doesn't mean a fence-sitter between an atheist and a theist. Stop saying "I don't believe in god, but I'm not an atheist", that doesn't make you agnostic, it makes you a moron.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hehe! It is strikingly obvious who are the internet casualties on here, and what side of specific arguments they are/were on, based on the regularity of certain hated words. Wounds do not heal so well when digitally inflicted, it would seem.

OT: People misusing irony to mean coincidence. I.e. "Hey, I lost 20 pound on the way here but won 20 pounds on this scratchcard hours later. How ironic is that?

Grrrrr! *crushes glass with bear hand and slowly devours the shards*

There is a little annoyance with misusing Agnostic and Atheist terms also, but i would sound a bit cunty, rambling about it. Plus I think i'm over it pretty much.

inmunitas

Feb 23, 2015
Major_Tom said:
"Agnostic". No, it doesn't mean a fence-sitter between an atheist and a theist. Stop saying "I don't believe in god, but I'm not an atheist", that doesn't make you agnostic, it makes you a moron.
A Theist believes in God or gods, an Atheist disbelieves in God or gods, and an Agnostic believes there is no evidence to support either theism or atheism.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
They're / there / their
you're / your
which / witch
whether / weather

and so forth. Please review the elementary schoolbooks you should have mastered by age 10. To apply the incorrect term is to defeat your own statement. At least leave that up to the other person! Also don't blame the school for "never teaching it." It was taught, you just didn't bother to learn. And don't say it doesn't matter. Ideas must be clearly presented if they are to be understood. Go ahead, say "you know what I mean!" Yes, I know exactly what you mean. You mean you're too lazy to do it right and too prideful to accept correction.

Racist, applied to anything discriminatory, up to and including high standards. For example, if I said I liked expensive candy store chocolate but not candy bars, that is in no way racist. Racism is about delusions of supremacy based on skin color or national origin. That's it.

White knight. The valid use of this term is to describe guys who act like good and noble defenders of women with the express intention of impressing said women with their goodness/nobility, rather than because it's the right thing to do. Unfortunately it is used to attack anyone who acts good or comes to the defense of another, the underlying statement being that everyone is a scumbag, nobody is ever nice for the sake of being nice, and all behavior is dictated by greed. This is patently false. It is possible to simply be a good person.

Offensive. This one isn't misused but I sure am sick of seeing it. You don't have the right never to be offended.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
inmunitas said:
Major_Tom said:
A Theist believes in God or gods, an Atheist disbelieves in God or gods, and an Agnostic believes there is no evidence to support either theism or atheism.
The question is not "does god exist" it's "do YOU believe in god" and there are only two possible answers. Agnostics say it is not possible to know whether god exists or not, but you can still believe or not believe in one. Agnostic and atheist/theist are not mutually exclusive terms.