Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Radical and extreme

Some people seem to use them as a substitute for "People I don't like and I don't want to actually provide details why". They just expect people to see 'radical' or 'extreme' and assume 'bad' without any actual assessment. Or whether those words even really apply

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
Censorship. Bias. Pretty much every word used by the people who seem to care about how people talk about games more than they care about games themselves.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
EyeReaper said:
Does anybody else feel it's wrong for super duper hard games like Ghosts n Goblins or Dark Souls to be called "Masochistic?" Masochism is deriving pleasure (sexual or otherwise, but mostly sexual) from pain, failure, mistreatment, etc, but from what I understand, The fun in Dark Souls isn't dying over and over, but finally overcoming that tough challenge boss or whatever. Shouldn't a game only be called masochistic if there is a distinct pleasurable feeling in losing? If you're getting frustrated and going full rage mode, can you really say you're being pleasured?
I've always imagined that the term "masochistic" was used in jest in those situations, but if it's not, then yeah, whoever is using it is kinda missing the point. I'm sure some people play games with steep difficulty curves out of masochism: it's a big world, after all, but for the most part it's just not done.

Heck, if the online community for Dark Souls is used as the litmus test for why people play the games, then it's all about 'dat elitism, and feeling superior to the rest of your hobby for silly reasons. Typical nerd stuff like that. More realistically, I think the 'normal' gamers just enjoy the challenge, with the high of success balancing out the frustration of the many, many, many failures.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
I have huge issues with the term BAE

Because people use it as a word.

BAE sounds silly as it is but it was supposed to be an acronym for "Before Anyone Else"

Up to that point to me it was just "Sure that sounds sort of stupid but that makes sense"

I could even stand the usage as "My Bae"

Where I started to get annoyed with the term was when it started replacing words like cute

Examples:
OMG THAT KITTEN IS BAE
Me and Bae went to the concert
Those pants were absolutely bae

Or when reffered to multitudes :
Me and the bae's (yes written with the ' )

I could go on and on and on about this word.

Just wipe it from the public memory someone please.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
EyeReaper said:
Does anybody else feel it's wrong for super duper hard games like Ghosts n Goblins or Dark Souls to be called "Masochistic?" Masochism is deriving pleasure (sexual or otherwise, but mostly sexual) from pain, failure, mistreatment, etc, but from what I understand, The fun in Dark Souls isn't dying over and over, but finally overcoming that tough challenge boss or whatever. Shouldn't a game only be called masochistic if there is a distinct pleasurable feeling in losing? If you're getting frustrated and going full rage mode, can you really say you're being pleasured?
No, as Yahtzee so lovelingly refers to games like Dark Souls (I'm paraphrasing mind) :

Dark Souls is repeatedly banging your head against a wall untill you find a way to break through the wall.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10092-Bloodborne-review

In that sense it's masochistic, there are people, like me, who just went "well fuck it" with Dark Souls.

The reason why : the game isn't "difficult", if you're not using a walkthrough/FAQ it is just simply commiting suicide repeatedly ingame till you finally get past that bloke that's been arbitrarily killing you because you banked left instead of right just a split second too late every time.

Some people may think that is "rewarding" whilst others think of that as Masochistic.

You're frustrating yourself to no end whatsoever to get past something just to fall back in the same routine when you turn around the next corner....

And that's basically the game....

The fact why this is Masochistic?

Because people keep going back despite the frustration and anger that builds up in them to try again and again and again to in the end get the "pleasure" of having broken the wall... with their heads...

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
Trope in the place of cliche, archetype, or any of several words that would work better than "trope."

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
"Literally" and "Problematic" are words I would never care to see again. I'm not sure if its college kids overusing it or something, but those words now show up everywhere, especially this year. Improving your vocabulary is always a nice thing.