Miyamoto: I Wish I Made Angry Birds

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Angry Birds annoys me, not because it's popular or anything, but in much the same way a gourmet would be annoyed with McDonalds- why is it so popular when there are other more interesting experiences out there?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I bought the game on PSN and it wasn't worth the $3.99 I paid for it, on the DS it would have been a failure. 20 minutes later I was turning it off, for good. I don't see how "fuzzy controls" are a good thing. Imagine if the manual for Super Mario Bros said "figure out the controls for yourself".

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Strain42 said:
In Angry Bird's case it doesn't matter who did it first, it's a matter of who did it best and/or loudest.

For example, I know there are still people going "Ah, Angry Birds just stole everything from Crush the Castle." even if that WAS true, once upon a time, Angry Birds has risen above and beyond anything Crush the Castle has done.
Now that you mentioned it, I immediately thought back to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVcyDkAH_n0 (for some reason I can't seem to get the YT code to work, oh well).

And now back on topic. Angry Birds has the massive marketing power behind it and that's really why it's achieved much more success than the common flash games. I do find it interesting that Miyamoto enjoys it despite his views on iPhone gaming as a whole. Maybe if more successful iPhone games come out he would feel a little more motivated to experiment with the platform? Nah, but one can dream.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Sylveria said:
Time for all the iTards to take this as proof that i-gaming is superior to dedicated
gaming devices.

rayen020 said:
Considering the mountains of dough rovio is rolling in right now for just that one game, i think we all wish we had created angry birds.
Actually, Rovio has admitted they've made very little money from the game itself. They're getting their money from merchandising. Heck.. I don't even own Angry Birds and I'm wearing an Angry Birds shirt.. cause I think the lil green pigs are cute.

Though, I'm curious to see how their sales of "Stuff" compares to the sales of "Stuff" based on Miyamoto's games on a year to year basis.
That's still making money off the game.

I don't want to "Use Hotmail"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I can't even... I mean... what?

You'd think a guy who had been remaking the same games over and over been making games for 20-30 years would be able to comprehend the control scheme for Angry Birds. You drag back the bird at a particular angle, and you let go. Like a slingshot.

It's easily comparable to using an analogue stick or a mouse to do the same thing, except you just use your finger.

Not exactly "fuzzy", is it?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sylveria said:
Actually, Rovio has admitted they've made very little money from the game itself. They're getting their money from merchandising. Heck.. I don't even own Angry Birds and I'm wearing an Angry Birds shirt.. cause I think the lil green pigs are cute..
I own all the plushies in 10" size, I got them on eBay for $20 and I bought the app

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
ablac said:
Monsterfurby said:
Yes, Angry Birds was such an original idea. It is only the 83879734897th entry to a genre that had been around for years over at Newgrounds. Its creators can be credited with only two things: design and marketing.

In general, the modus operandi of the commercial casual indie scene seems to become "find original idea in a flash game, copy and slightly modify it, then sell it before the poor sod who came up with it does". And Miyamoto falls for it. Yeesh.
Or maybe he knows more about the industry than you do having played a role in its creation. Those flash games on newgrounds are merely copies of other flash games or even earlier than that. Originality is a fallacy. Someone has come up with near enough every simple core mechanic. You merely need to dig deep enough to find what someone has 'ripped off'.
But someone did originally come up with something right? No matter how far back you suggest it may lie. So originality is not a fallacy. Unless you're saying no one has ever come up with anything and everybody has been ripping off others since before the dawn of time.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
floppylobster said:
ablac said:
Monsterfurby said:
Yes, Angry Birds was such an original idea. It is only the 83879734897th entry to a genre that had been around for years over at Newgrounds. Its creators can be credited with only two things: design and marketing.

In general, the modus operandi of the commercial casual indie scene seems to become "find original idea in a flash game, copy and slightly modify it, then sell it before the poor sod who came up with it does". And Miyamoto falls for it. Yeesh.
Or maybe he knows more about the industry than you do having played a role in its creation. Those flash games on newgrounds are merely copies of other flash games or even earlier than that. Originality is a fallacy. Someone has come up with near enough every simple core mechanic. You merely need to dig deep enough to find what someone has 'ripped off'.
But someone did originally come up with something right? No matter how far back you suggest it may lie. So originality is not a fallacy. Unless you're saying no one has ever come up with anything and everybody has been ripping off others since before the dawn of time.
I said it wrong but I meant that attacking something for unoriganality is wrong as someone has come up with something and what you may think is origanal could be a potential rip off of another game you havent heard of. I heard of angry birds long before crush the castle so how can we prove Rovio ripped off crush the castle. They did some new stuff with it and they did it best. Crush the castle is supposedly a rip off of another game anyway so I think people should commend what is good and if that is origanal great. Being unoriginal is not a sin in itself. Its not a carbon copy it just shares a basic mechanic. Its like saying all FPS's are doom clones or that every survival horror game is a rip off of pac man. They share similar traits but do enough different, be it story, gameplay or whatever, to make themselves unique. Angry birds is a damn simple game as is crush the castle. Its is wrong to say that nothing can be made that is like crush the castle. people dont like it because it is 'casual' and successful.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Oh, how I love that last burn. I don't get Angry Birds, it's so unsatisfying to play for me, the physics are too boring for me, and with a game like that, physics is everything.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
GeorgW said:
Oh, how I love that last burn. I don't get Angry Birds, it's so unsatisfying to play for me, the physics are too boring for me, and with a game like that, physics is everything.
Pac Man is more exciting.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The next Mario game will be subtitled "Angry Goombas".

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
That's not really fair though, Pac-Man is awesome!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
GeorgW said:
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
Like Angry Birds, Pac Man has very simple mechanics but does get old after a while. Pac Man just doesn't get old as quickly and by today's standards, Pac Man isn't awesome anymore. Angry Birds is just an inexplicable success. Unlike Pac Man, no one will remember this flash game in 30 years.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
Like Angry Birds, Pac Man has very simple mechanics but does get old after a while. Pac Man just doesn't get old as quickly and by today's standards, Pac Man isn't awesome anymore. Angry Birds is just an inexplicable success. Unlike Pac Man, no one will remember this flash game in 30 years.
While I don't like it, it's not inconceivable that Angry Birds will one day stand in history among the greats.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
GeorgW said:
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
While I don't like it, it's not inconceivable that Angry Birds will one day stand in history among the greats.
I see nothing that sets Angry Birds apart from other successful flash games.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
Crono1973 said:
GeorgW said:
I see nothing that sets Angry Birds apart from other successful flash games.
The money. It's a big financial difference.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't care what you guys say.
I've played a total of 20 minutes angry birds and I enjoyed that time.
It's simple and it pulls you in just like Warcraft III did for me back in the days.
Stop whining at a Finnish companys success and if it was a rippoff why hasn't anyone sued them yet?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I don't see it working in two screens. 3D would be cool though.

Edit: It would work on the vita if you touched the back of it and keep your finger from covering the slingshot.