Miyamoto: Oculus Rift-Style VR Goes Against Wii U's Values

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
weirdee said:
Snotnarok said:
It may just be my friends and area but I rarely have seen that kind of thing. Infact, my friend doesn't seem to be able to multitask talking and playing and while everyone is playing a game and chattin' he's quietly playing Fire Emblem or some game in the back totally silent.

It varies from person to person obviously but I'm just sayin' that VR isn't any different than handhelds when you get down to it.
My point was that the intent of Nintendo's design for a lot of their handheld titles was deliberately skewed towards friend to friend interaction (sometimes to an annoying degree), even if all the anecdotal evidence of your life experiences doesn't reflect that, and it would be unfair for one person's observations to represent the whole of Nintendo's works, especially on a claim that Nintendo are somehow hypocrites because your social circle deliberately chose to ignore those features.
I'm convinced either I'm extremely poor at explaining things or no one who quotes me reads my posts and instead assumes mid way through reading my comments, they need to get the shield and protect ol' nintendo from mean ol' Snotnarok. I never said anything against them.

I can't judge based on my experiences? Well sure I can, I can make some loose opinions on it but I also wrote out in the very post you quoted that it varies from person to person. I even said that in the first post I made in this topic, it varies from person to person how social the person will be.

Never said Nintendo are hypocrites, I really don't know where you got that from the post you quoted. I said that can be just as social as a handheld game. Eyes are always glued on a tiny screen or a screen strapped to your face is practically the same thing. It can be just as social especially if it is somehow a portable device, and judging how powerful and small computers are getting, it could be how the future is and they could be doing it.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
AzrealMaximillion said:
Dexterity said:
There's no motion control in the Wii U.
There is. It's just not being used. Just like the majority of Wii games after Year 2 of its release.

The Wii U controller's screen is only really used for off screen play, or sometimes menu functions. The only exceptions to this are the launch titles which were tech demos showing off the functionalities of the controller. Even Pikmin 3 abandons the controller's screen and only uses it as an OPTIONAL map.
Which is a point against the console. Putting in a gimmick that's unnecessary and abandoned within the first year of the console's release.

I mean Jesus Christ, they even made a fucking screenless controller an option.
Which you have to buy. Otherwise you have a peice of abandoned hardware for a controller, great job Nintendo.

No developer is forced to cram things into it. You actually have no clue what you're spouting. Seriously, good luck finding many games using any form of motion control on the Wii U.
-Wii Sports Club
-Star Fox at E3 demonstrated motion controls
-As did Giant Robot

Who has no clue?

And why does Nintendo oh so desperately need more 3rd party support? They've relied on first party games ever since the Nintendo sixtyfuckingfour. Don't even answer that question, it's entirely rhetorical.
Because every Nintendo console since the NES, with the exception of the Wii, has sold millions lower than the previous generation.

Because Nintendo's first party IPs haven't grown up enough compared to the median age of gamers and can't support Nintendo consoles by themselves for another couple of generations.

Because it was exclusive 3rd party games that made Nintendo consoles popular. Remember Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? Banjo Kazooie? Killer Instinct? All on the N64 (or as you so calmly put it, "the Nintendo sixtyfuckingfour").

How about the SNES and NES era? Megaman? Final Fantasy? Chrono Trigger? Contra? Metal Gear? Earthworm Jim? Secret of Mana? Castlevania? Earthbound? TMNT Turtles in Time?

Look, I just named a bunch of classic franchises that were Nintendo exclusives. Many of them remained Nintendo exclusive until the N64's hardware capabilities kneecapped them. Then they went to the Playstation. Final Fantasy 7 was rebuilt as a PS exclusive specifically because of the N64's limited storage.

Now Nintendo's piss poor treatment of the 3rd party (which really started with the Gamecube era) has come back to bite them in the ass. Nintendo's 1st party games can't make the Wii U a success by themselves. Nintendo doesn't release games at a fast enough rate to not have many months of waiting until the next release. That, and their single player focused games can be beating within 10-12 hours. That's not enough game to have on a console that has a major title or two coming only every 6-8 months.

That's why Nintendo needs 3rd party support. They'll fail otherwise. They're focus on their shrinking fanbase will kill them. If the median gamer's age is to be taken seriously, and it should, most gamers are in their late 20s to early 30s. You're going to have a hard time selling them Mario, Zelda and Yoshi based solely on nostalgia.

Nintendo right now is mimicing Sega in the mid 90s. The 3rd party is leaving them in droves and their console doesn't have enough games that bring a breath of fresh air to the table.
Do you think games like Bayonetta 2, Devil's Third, Xenoblade, and Splatoon could help increase their fanbase? I mean, kids ARE growing up playing shooters, and Splatoon is a family-friendly shooter that parents could buy without their kids being exposed to violence and swearing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kiall said:
* Be conservative in every decision.
Thats basically how nintendo was for the last 100+ years. Yes, nintendo is older than gaming, it was a cards company originally. its always been one of the most conservative companies if not the most conservative in gaming, its a slow burner. that worked in the past, however the world changes so fast now that they are no longer able to pull that off.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Brian Tams said:
I'm sorry, but is it unusual for only one person to use a controller at a time?
It's unusual for only one to be usable at a time. Especially in this day and age.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dragonbums said:
Don't respond?
Please, take your own advice next time. Nintendo didn't need defending.
"No company needs defending" has never stopped anyone in this thread and site as a whole from arguing, clarifying, or supporting any other company. "X company doesn't need defending" I've seen is the quickest way to shut up a conversation all the while the other person can continue to say shit about the entity in question - valid or not- without opposition. It's literally the alter ego to "If you don't like it so much, why don't you make it yourself" argument. Quit it.