Miyamoto Refocusing on Hardcore; Casual Gamers' Passive Attitude "Pathetic"

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Stats ^1 said:
GZGoten said:
I only play games that allow me to use the Pro Controller but there's more than one game that prohibits exclusively using the pro controller
You mean Nintendo Land and ZombiU? Two glorified tech demos for the Wii U to show how the controller works and can be used? Or are you referring to the shovelware on the console? The only time the console stops you from using the pro controller is on occasional optional levels in games like Mario 3D World and Rayman Legends.
well yeah there's also Wonderful 101 where you HAVE to look at the tablet whenever you're indoors, if hter'es a way to change it then I don't know I got tired of that game by level 3

and New Super Mario and Super Mario 3D world made player 1 use the game tablet, so while my 3 other friends were having fun with normal controls I was stuck using this stupid low battery heavy tablet excuse for a controller

you can defend it all you want, but personally, I HATE using that tablet or when a game forces me to use it. That's why Mario Kart and Wind Waker HD are the games I've played the most, I don't even have to look at the stupid thing and I can play the entire game

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
GZGoten said:
well yeah there's also Wonderful 101 where you HAVE to look at the tablet whenever you're indoors, if hter'es a way to change it then I don't know I got tired of that game by level 3

and New Super Mario and Super Mario 3D world made player 1 use the game tablet, so while my 3 other friends were having fun with normal controls I was stuck using this stupid low battery heavy tablet excuse for a controller

you can defend it all you want, but personally, I HATE using that tablet or when a game forces me to use it. That's why Mario Kart and Wind Waker HD are the games I've played the most, I don't even have to look at the stupid thing and I can play the entire game
Wonderful 101? Press the "-" button. Problem solved. And indoor sections are extremely few and far between. There are maybe 3-4 total throughout the entire game total.

Super Mario 3D World? Let one of your friends use it. If all of them refuse? Then find new friends or learn to suck it up, because the controller's absolutely fine, it's not heavy and it feels no worse than holding an Xbox controller. Stop exaggerating.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Fatal frame 5 coming to NA on the Wii-U or Nintendo is full of it.

The Wii-U still doesn't have that great of a selection out or on the way and it's insane for this to be the 3rd fatal frame game nintendo didn't bring to NA.

They almost didn't bring Xenoblade over, Hell they never wanted to, now the 2nd is one of the most anticipated games in the region it was never going to come out for.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
alj said:
Whist a good attitude , just make good games and people will buy the system.
That's some Gamecube-logic right there. But in today's gaming market, I hope that such an ideology could work this time around. I've enjoyed all my own Wii U games tremendously so far.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Eve Charm said:
The Wii-U still doesn't have that great of a selection out or on the way and it's insane for this to be the 3rd fatal frame game nintendo didn't bring to NA.
Just out of curiousity, how many is a great selection? To you? I imagine my gaming habits are different to yours.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Stats ^1 said:
GZGoten said:

Wonderful 101? Press the "-" button. Problem solved. And indoor sections are extremely few and far between. There are maybe 3-4 total throughout the entire game total.

Super Mario 3D World? Let one of your friends use it. If all of them refuse? Then find new friends or learn to suck it up, because the controller's absolutely fine, it's not heavy and it feels no worse than holding an Xbox controller. Stop exaggerating.
like I said I never played beyond stage 3 I think it was, didn't like the game
and yes all of my friends refuse to use the tablet and no I can't just make new friends, I'm pretty sure nobody can, and I did suck it up, I played through the whole game using it, that still doesn't change the fact that I wish I could use a Pro Controller.

AND to me it does feel much worse than an xbox controller. You love it I hate it, why are you making such a big deal out of this? Can't we just agree to disagree?

Sherokain

Jan 11, 2013
Toadfish1 said:
So their plan now is to try to delight the hardcore? Well, just so long as their hardware isn't hugely underpowered, and their third party situation isn't abysmal, they might have a chance to pull that off. Oh, wait.
Touche. They might have to wait for the next generation of hardware to roll around or maybe even something like a ram expansion on a later model. For now they need to just put their money where their mouth is and try to regain support.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
I thought Nintendo's "Wii" gimmick had pushed it into a solid main event contention again, but management just desn't seem to know what to do with its newfound success.
Wii Nintendo was akin to CM Punk, champ with a huge title reign but treated as secondary to other competitors. WiiU era Nintendo is the midcard champ who mainevents house shows due to their workrate, and popularity.

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
GZGoten said:
like I said I never played beyond stage 3 I think it was, didn't like the game
and yes all of my friends refuse to use the tablet and no I can't just make new friends, I'm pretty sure nobody can, and I did suck it up, I played through the whole game using it, that still doesn't change the fact that I wish I could use a Pro Controller.

AND to me it does feel much worse than an xbox controller. You love it I hate it, why are you making such a big deal out of this? Can't we just agree to disagree?
I don't love it, but I'm not insane and irrationally negative about the controller. It doesn't feel as bad as you're trying to make people believe. I know for a fact that you don't honestly believe the garbage you're spouting about the controller being a giant brick.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I read the source linked in the article, and it still doesn't say what language he said it in.

And even if he was speaking English, it's obviously not his first language.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
alj said:
Whist a good attitude , just make good games and people will buy the system.
Some marketing campaign indicating one system is different from another would also help. What happened to those days? They went from Super Nintendo to Nintendo 64 to Nintendo GameCube. Now it's Wii and Wii U, DS to 3DS to New 3DS.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I'll believe it when they launch a proper gaming system. One that destroys the PS4 in specs please!

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
Flunk said:
I'll believe it when they launch a proper gaming system. One that destroys the PS4 in specs please!
All they really need to do is launch a console that matches the PS4's specs for a lower production cost and retail price.

First Party is an automatic win, third parties love money and will port their games over. The only "sticking point" is their online policy/system and how they intend to balance their focus.

They could easily get back in contention. They just need to buy themselves time to design and develop a new strategy and console whilst the Wii U does the best that it can in the meantime.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
This just sounds like a case of subtlety being lost in translation to me. I'm guessing (though non-English languages are all Greek to me) there were probably at least 1 or 2 other words/phrases that could have been used to translate this and not sounded as inflammatory and headline-grabbing. As others have said his meaning was probably closer to "apathetic" since he's describing passivity here.

Nintendo helped games go mainstream with the Wii but since then mainstream audience have been trained by mobile phones that games cost $1-$2 and should be as simple and repetitive as something on the Atari 2600. And that's just not what Nintendo makes, and even if they wanted to start making that the competition is so dense in that market it's already standing room only.

It's only natural that Nintendo would return to a market that they're already familiar with, and still in a relatively good position to compete in.

Flunk said:
Why does the tech have to be cutting edge to be a "proper gaming system"? On the contrary- older hardware is cheaper and easier to develop for. Extra polygons and shininess are fine and all, but having them doesn't make a game "more gamey"/proper.

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
Ratty said:
Flunk said:
Why does the tech have to be cutting edge to be a "proper gaming system"? On the contrary- older hardware is cheaper and easier to develop for. Extra polygons and shininess are fine and all, but having them doesn't make a game "more gamey"/proper.
I think it's more to do with having the processors and the RAM to be able to smoothly run third-party games made by lazy developers who can't be bothered to tidy up their poor coding skills, thus leading to bloat, redundant code, memory errors, glitches and no end of others problems.

For reference, see most modern games. Notice why Fallout 3, New Vegas and TES:IV were like 6 - 7GB, but Skyrim was barely 4GB? They cut away loads of the crappy code and redesigned the Gamebryo Engine, and even then, Skyrim has ample problems.

Point being, third party developers are TOO LAZY to support anything of "inferior tech" because it requires too much effort.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Flunk said:
Those saying all Nintendo needs to do is bring out a "powerhouse" clearly have no idea how consoles work. History is littered with examples of these supposed powerhouses and how successful they were.
So they break the bank to secure an expensive, more powerful system...to have third party games by the usual jobbers sell like crap anyway. So what is the point exactly?
Nintendo know better than to make a hoss the centerpiece of their stable. That is more an American thing, the Japanese prefer more technical performers.