Miyamoto Refocusing on Hardcore; Casual Gamers' Passive Attitude "Pathetic"

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
I agree with him and I'm all for Nintendo focusing on the the more dependable hardcore market. It was a big mistake to take things too far in the casual direction and he realizes that. Nothing wrong with trying though. I also find it funny how people are accusing Miyamoto of flip flopping. Guy can never catch a break and reminds me of this little gem

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
omega 616 said:
I think it's pathetic you make a game, skin Mario characters on to it and then people eat it up! Or the bare faced fucking cheek of remaking a pokémon game! They are all more or less the same game with different pokémon, all they have to do is think up another 100 or so and BAM, 2 new games (which is cheeky as well. Imagine if street fighter did that, released 2 versions of the same game with 5 fighters exclusive to one and a different 5 exclusive to the other) ... then to not even be bothered to think of another 100+, and just remake an old game but people still go ape shit for it!

I think it's fucked up people hate on COD for being the same game every year, when it probably has more changes than the Mario Franchise.

I think Nintendo is the most over rated company by a huge mile.
I think you're trying too hard to fit into the Nintendo hate group.
You obviously didn't play and Mario games. COD having much more changes than Mario? Really? You want to tell me that Mario 3, Mario 3D World, NSMBU and Galaxy are pretty much the same game? Are you, in all seriousness telling me that those are the same game?
I am talking in broad strokes like all the 2d ones or all the 3d ones.

To me, 2d side scrollers are all the same with there own gimmick. Mario 2d just tacks on new bows and trinkets, like a new power or suit.

Admittedly, I am talking a bit out of ignorance but every time I see an announcement for a new Mario game .... It looks identical to another one but this one has X and Y.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
This is most likely bad translation or meaning lost during translation. I doubt Miyamoto, as a public figure and face of Nintendo would use that kind of language to talk about their costumer. It doesn't seem like something Nintendo would do.
While i agree that Nintendo is unlikely to speak this, actions speak louder than words and they were pissing on costumers for years.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
So...anyone else feeling like we're missing a LOT of context for this quote? Like, this quote seems pretty mean-spirited for the "family-friendly", "we really, really don't want controversy" video game company. Like, there is a paragraph or two before or after this sentence that explains this more? Because, I'm just saying this sounds "off" for Nintendo, ESPECIALLY Miyamoto.

Oh, well. I'm sure we will all pile hate upon hate at Nintendo like an abusive boyfriend.

Aiddon said:
Why would anyone want to actively focus on the "hardcore" again? If there is one thing I've learned over my entire lifetime of gaming it's this: the hardcore are not loyal, grateful, or charitable. Why would you want to be tied down to an audience like that, especially when there's little room for them to grow? The NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, PS1, PS2, 360, PS3, DS, Wii, and 3DS did not succeed because of "core" gamers, we are not that numerous enough to do that. No, it's always been the broader audience that has brought in the money and if they truly have all moved on to mobile games, that's not good for console or handheld gaming, which includes EVERYBODY.

And I thought people would realize that by now; after decades you'd think they would have understood that gaming is going to outgrow the gamer culture if that makes any sense and that means new people are going to go in. Heck, Pong was first distributed to bars, not exactly the go-to spot when thinking of stereotypical gaming culture. You'd think gamers would be HAPPY about people understanding their love for the medium and getting into it. I am shocked by how many people are still SEETHING over Nintendo attempting to give the gaming population a much-needed booster shot, unaware that they STILL MADE EVERYTHING THEY MADE BEFORE. We still got Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Pokemon, and Kirby it's just that they made a lot of other stuff that we had to share space with. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
Ehhhhh, bars are currently one of the few places that have arcades (Dave's and Buffalo Wild Wings are two good examples of this) so it isn't too out of it to see bars being a hardcore fan base. Besides, the negative stereotypes of a bar-goer sounds not too different from an average gamer. (Why yes, game culture has destroyed my joy for fans, why do you ask?)

Dragonbums said:
Karadalis said:
Oh please... first its all "Hardcore isnt our market anymore, casuals is where its at" with the Wii... and when said casuals leave you for mobile devices you suddenly act like "damn them casuals! They arent real gamers anyways! Lets focus on the hardcore crowd again!"

Piss off nintendo... no one believes you... youre going where the money is and aparantly you cant make any money anymore by booking on the casual market.

No need to make BS explanations why you come crawling back.
It's not like Nintendo ever changed their philosophy in game design anyway. The games they made now has been the same games they made since they first started for the most part. This whole mentality between hardcore and "casuals" started because of the Wii anyway. Then again- Nintendo always changed up their gaming peripherals. Only this time around "hrdc0r3" gamers felt "burned" by the Wii U like garlic to a vampire and proclaimed that Nintendo ditched "tru gamers" for the casuals. Even though most of the people making shovel ware crap were companies like Chipotle.

They've booked the casual market quite well. If 3DS sales are anything to go by. And besides, it's not like any attempts to appeal to the "hrdc0r3" gaming populace worked anyway. Not since the Gamecube era.
Hell, if you want proof of this, look at Smash Bros. After the leak, SO many people are swearing off Smash, saying that they know all the need to know. Some are even going as far as thanking the leaker for doing this because they can know convince as many people as possible to not buy this game because it "betrayed" them. How did it betray? I have no freaking clue...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nintendo of all companies disses casuals? Why sell something if you're gonna belittle people for buying it?

Timpossible

Aug 4, 2014
Someone is getting deeeeeeeeeesperaaaaaate.

I mean i have no problem with Nintendo going back to to more challenging games and a more "adult" approach to games and gameplay in the broadest sense. Hey the Wii, the DS and now the 3DS made them so much money they could act like "Third party don't want to make games for us? Fuck it! We buy them!". So go on Nintendo. Hope you make it.

But considering the recent news about the Wii-U and Nintendo...it sounds very much like "Please just buy our stuff! We say anything you want!"

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Aiddon said:
And I thought people would realize that by now; after decades you'd think they would have understood that gaming is going to outgrow the gamer culture if that makes any sense and that means new people are going to go in. You'd think gamers would be HAPPY about people understanding their love for the medium and getting into it. I am shocked by how many people are still SEETHING over Nintendo attempting to give the gaming population a much-needed booster shot, unaware that they STILL MADE EVERYTHING THEY MADE BEFORE. We still got Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Smash Bros., Donkey Kong, Pokemon, and Kirby it's just that they made a lot of other stuff that we had to share space with. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
That does bring a loosely related but still interesting point about gamer culture. Why do some of us hate "casual" gamers and what the Wii did for the acceptance of videogames by the mainstream culture? I for one think we really should be welcoming people into our hobby spreading the good things about this medium rather than accentuating the negative stereotypes the popular culture has lumped us with.

Back to the topic at hand the mindset of "I am the customer entertain me." One of the facebook comments gave it a better description "zero effort gamers" which I think is a better description and probably should have been used instead.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
oplinger said:
I think you miss the point. it's not about expecting entertainment to entertain them, or people getting their pleasures differently from you.

In the quote he likens it to people wanting to watch a movie. He uses the word "passive." He is not saying anything about "real gamers"

The short quote we have only says that it's pathetic if you only play games for them to entertain you like a movie. To passively expect the fun to come to you.

To extrapolate on that, you can't even have a game do -anything- without your input. So it is sort of pathetic to expect the game to entertain you in a passive manner. It's an active medium, and where all the potential lies in with those games that you interact with, with the people who "take it a step further."

He's stating the differences between being a part of the entertainment, and just watching the entertainment.
That doesn't hold sway for me. Unless they're literally watching a film then they're still playing a game. If they are playing a game then criticising them for having fun in the 'wrong' way is stupid and it's always going to be stupid. If they aren't even playing games at all then the comments wouldn't apply or he's doing the even more stupid thing of taking games which are different from the games he likes to play and make and saying 'oh those don't count'

This is the second case of 'stop having fun guys! You're not doing it properly!' that Nintendo has had in recent months (the last time being when they said it wasn't fun to watch games on Twitch). Really what they're saying is 'Why won't you play with me when I tell you to anymore?'

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
tm96 said:
That does bring a loosely related but still interesting point about gamer culture. Why do some of us hate "casual" gamers and what the Wii did for the acceptance of videogames by the mainstream culture? I for one think we really should be welcoming people into our hobby spreading the good things about this medium rather than accentuating the negative stereotypes the popular culture has lumped us with.

Back to the topic at hand the mindset of "I am the customer entertain me." One of the facebook comments gave it a better description "zero effort gamers" which I think is a better description and probably should have been used instead.
I think it's the typical nerd mentality; having to share space with new always makes nerds uncomfortable, especially when it brings more diversity to the table. It's the fear of being shoved to the side to accommodate new players...but we've seen that there are always going to be studios who cater to "core" gamers anyway. If anything, not enough studios try to expand the audience of gaming. This is probably due to so many designers having been "core" gamers and thus lacking self-awareness.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
And Man said:
'okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.'
I'm all for this new mindset that Nintendo has, but isn't this kinda the ultimate point of video games? To be entertained? Anyway, here's hoping for the best for Nintendo
What differentiates games from other media is the fact that they are supposed to challenge the individual to some degree, which goes beyond just entertainment. Miyamoto is just saying that originally they were trying for people who are just looking for an interactive television experience with the Wii, while now they are trying for something that has more to it than just... shovelware? Now I'm more curious as to what the man is trying to get at.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
xaszatm said:
Hell, if you want proof of this, look at Smash Bros. After the leak, SO many people are swearing off Smash, saying that they know all the need to know. Some are even going as far as thanking the leaker for doing this because they can know convince as many people as possible to not buy this game because it "betrayed" them. How did it betray? I have no freaking clue...
Honestly, this just shows that if anything the self proclaimed hardcore gamers are THE MOST fickle fanbase out of all of them. I remember seeing the leak initially and I thought it was funny. I mean Duck Hunt dog? That's fucking hilarious! That's the whole point of SSB. Pitting different Nintendo IP's together in an arena no matter how silly it is. But no. The "hardcore" just want their popular favorites with no items and final destination and that's it. That's not fun. Competitive? Sure. But fun? No.

And honestly, this medium has very few entry points for casuals to get in to. At least with the PC gaming crowd WoW, TF2, and other similar games make for good entry points for casual gamers. Consoles? Not really.

Just look at the amount of hate a company or person gets when they dare to suggest something to put in videogames to draw in that market. (No not appeal to the "broader" audience kind of appeal.)

EA/Bioware got a whole lot of fucking shit for adding in Story Mode into ME3. Hardcore gamers cried that it's not fair that they had to work at getting the story and casuals can just do the story for the most part. The thing was, was that nobody really plays Mass Effect for gameplay anyway. Not everyone is good at videogames. Or has the motor skills to play them right. You know what turns off a player from videogames fast? Getting frustrated that they can't play the game consistently. To which the "hrdc0r3" said "Yeah go play another game." Yeah well see here's the thing. If said person was actually trying to play games for the first time and found their attempt horrible, they'll go back to not playing videogames. You just lost another potential fan to the series and the medium. Because as much as you want them to experience the super awesome plot, you want nothing to do with them if they opt in for the option to give them that plot with minimal of the action.

Then we got Jennifer Hepler. All the woman fucking suggested was that there was a skip battle button to get to the story. Just like how there is a skip cutscene button so players can get in on the action. I personally thought it was a good idea. The only battles you can't skip are the important ones, but you can skip the mindless filler ones that serve no purpose but to pad out the game. But holy fucking damn. She might of well of said that videogames are for assbabies only. Especially when it was compounded with the fact that she sucks at navigating UI interfaces and had slow reaction times- she often got frustrated playing videogames so she didn't like playing them all that much. The amount of shit she got escalated to her fucking kids getting death threats. And while her leaving the industry she claimed had nothing to do with the harassment. I have no fucking doubts this was one major incident in her list of reasons of why she left. And frankly I wouldn't blame her if she steered other writers interested in writing for games away from this medium too.

Then we have Dark Souls. They simply added in an Easy mode (how easy it was relative to the game I have no clue. Never played it.) This was another attempt to grab in more potential fans that were put off by how difficult the game supposedly was. There is nothing wrong with that. Like I said, SOME people, and even gamers are not that good at video games no matter what. Whether it be a disability or lack of fine tuned reaction and motor skills. It all around was a nice addition to the game. And was completely optional. But no. Fans went fucking apeshit over it. So many people were swearing off the series because it was "dumbed down" for the casuals even though nothing is stopping you from playing in Normal(hard) mode.

Look how offputting that kind of shit is. Devs have to constantly keep on their toes because "hardcore" gamers will ditch them over one stupid fucking thing.

For Nintendo it was the Wii. They didn't make games any fucking differently than previously. But a fucking peripheral experiment that had an explosion in popularity- and as a company- they expanded more on (keep in mind that they never changed the core values of their games outside of controls) people felt "betrayed", "hurt", and "angry" at Nintendo for making fucking move controls. Other than that, I seriously don't see where the "burning bridges" came in aside from a few other quotes from Miyamoto. Which is another thing- If I remember correctly there was a question someone asked him about what he would do when he stopped making videogames. Apparently Miyamato said that he would just stop playing games because not many of them really grabbed his interest.

The man strikes me as the most casual as fuck gamer on the whole planet. He just happens to be good at making them more than anything.

Miyamoto didn't say that casuals were pathetic for simply wanting and getting "zero effort" games. He said it was kind of pathetic that they don't want to truly engage in the game on some level.

You know how people take a shit on David Cage games because they are just "movies with text options?" Yeah, that's kind of what he's talking about. The super casual crowd just wants David Cage games and nothing else.

I'm pretty sure by hardcore he meant regulars who enjoy what games have to offer and indulge in it. Not the other hardcore where adding in an easy mode to a game is enough to piss off the entire fucking fanbase. Those guys are even more unfun and fickle than the casuals they so hate.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
~A little less abnegation, a little more action, please,

All this repetition ain't interactin' with me,

A little more game and a little less show,

A little less tell and a little more go,

Make a game that I can play for days, and baby satisfy me

Satisfy me, baby~

I get what he's saying; they want to cater to people who are willing to interact with a game, and all of its narrative and mechanical complexities, instead of just wanting to sit outside of the experience, pressing a button to progress, and whatnot.

Well... here's hoping? Yeah, why not.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Colt47 said:
And Man said:
I'm all for this new mindset that Nintendo has, but isn't this kinda the ultimate point of video games? To be entertained? Anyway, here's hoping for the best for Nintendo
What differentiates games from other media is the fact that they are supposed to challenge the individual to some degree, which goes beyond just entertainment. Miyamoto is just saying that originally they were trying for people who are just looking for an interactive television experience with the Wii, while now they are trying for something that has more to it than just... shovelware? Now I'm more curious as to what the man is trying to get at.
I think what he meant was that after initially getting in the casual crowd with the Wii (keep in mind I think it could be a translation mishap on their end here.) Efforts to draw them in to more engaging games like Mario, Kirby, so on and so forth was fruitless becuase those people just wanted to entertain themselves with minimal effort garbage games that the likes of Coldstone shat out on the Wii. Nintendo themselves aside from Wii Sports and Music have consistently made engaging games. But the casuals just wanted a console version of mobile phone apps and that was never Nintendo's thing. So they are just going to focus more of their attention on engaging games again as opposed to making "icebreaker" games in the hopes that the casuals would desire a more engaging experience.

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
Karadalis said:
Oh please... first its all "Hardcore isnt our market anymore, casuals is where its at" with the Wii... and when said casuals leave you for mobile devices you suddenly act like "damn them casuals! They arent real gamers anyways! Lets focus on the hardcore crowd again!"

Piss off nintendo... no one believes you... youre going where the money is and aparantly you cant make any money anymore by booking on the casual market.

No need to make BS explanations why you come crawling back.
Okay you're absolutely wrong. I actually had to make an account to make a note on how wrong you are. Your comment is so horrifyingly wrong that it's going to give me nightmares for the next week.

Casuals never left Nintendo for mobile devices. The Wii and 3DS were both EXTREMELY successful. Seriously, explain to me how Nintendo's two consoles aimed at more casual players were the most successful if they were ditched for mobile devices?

Their "hardcore" console is the one which has been failing. The Wii U is aimed at core gamers and it's been doing badly due to a lack of titles.

And let's assume for a minute that you were actually correct in ANYTHING you just said, which you're not. Miyamoto never even said that he wants to switch audiences because of money issues. He stated, as a games designer, that he doesn't like the casual market's attitude towards games. He stated, pretty clearly as a games designer (I feel like I really need to stress this point for you), that he wants to design for an audience who challenge themselves with games, rather than cater to an audience who want their games to have little interactivity (similar to movies).

Stats ^1

Aug 28, 2014
And Man said:
You misunderstood his quote. He means that he doesn't want to create games which hand everything to players on a platter.

Players are supposed to challenge themselves with games. Look at the original Zelda, players find their own enjoyment out of the game. Games which behave like movies are games which Miyamoto doesn't like. Look at The Walking Dead. It's hardly even a game, it's just a movie with a few interactions thrown in the mix.

Miyamoto is saying that he wants Nintendo to create real games for players who WANT those real games.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Stats ^1 said:
Okay you're absolutely wrong. I actually had to make an account to make a note on how wrong you are. Your comment is so horrifyingly wrong that it's going to give me nightmares for the next week.

Casuals never left Nintendo for mobile devices. The Wii and 3DS were both EXTREMELY successful. Seriously, explain to me how Nintendo's two consoles aimed at more casual players were the most successful if they were ditched for mobile devices?

Their "hardcore" console is the one which has been failing. The Wii U is aimed at core gamers and it's been doing badly due to a lack of titles.

And let's assume for a minute that you were actually correct in ANYTHING you just said, which you're not. Miyamoto never even said that he wants to switch audiences because of money issues. He stated, as a games designer, that he doesn't like the casual market's attitude towards games. He stated, pretty clearly as a games designer (I feel like I really need to stress this point for you), that he wants to design for an audience who challenge themselves with games, rather than cater to an audience who want their games to have little interactivity (similar to movies).
The Western casuals most certainly have left Nintendo. The 3DS is still popular in Japan and with Western children, but other than that the Western casual market has forgotten about Nintendo. The Wii U was hardly marketed towards the "core" crowd. I can't even remember what it launched with, but the core crowd was extremely unimpressed with the controller and line up. They saw the tablet controller as Nintendo trying to capture casual lightning again like they did with the Wii motion controls.

I also feel the need to point out to you that it's very easy to lie or conceal the truth. In this case, it is possible Miyamoto is only saying that he dislikes making casual games to appear like someone passionate about making them, when in reality he has found casual games simply aren't profitable, but needs an excuse for the sudden change in company policy.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Nowhere Man said:
I agree with him and I'm all for Nintendo focusing on the the more dependable hardcore market. It was a big mistake to take things too far in the casual direction and he realizes that. Nothing wrong with trying though. I also find it funny how people are accusing Miyamoto of flip flopping. Guy can never catch a break and reminds me of this little gem

Funny thing is, the handheld titles seem to be immune from this.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
Dragonbums said:
Then we have Dark Souls. They simply added in an Easy mode (how easy it was relative to the game I have no clue. Never played it.)
Clearly, because if you did play Dark Souls II, you'd know that they added nothing of the sort.
Then what was all the complaining about an easy mode then?