Miyamoto Shows Off The Legend of Zelda, Discusses Starfox at Game Awards

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
You can hate the motion controls all you want but those are damn useful. Even speedrunner use the motion controls in the Wind Waker HD remake because it's faster, easier and more precise than using an analog stick. I don't know if you played Call of Duty on the Wii but it was the best CoD game I've played. Motion controls can be great for aiming if implemented right.
Also it seems like you can use the right analog. Same as with Splatoon.
Yeah, that is kind of thing, motion controls are like fight sticks; a bit of a learning curve, but they're WAY more precise and quicker than analog sticks. I never got why so many people have been so desperate at launching a smear campaign against motion controls. I suppose it's grounded in that same, nerdy insecurity of "if we don't stamp this out it'll dominate the industry and push everything WE want!" which has been proven time and time again to be WRONG whenever that argument is brought up.

Robert Kalmar said:
It shows you are an expert gamer unlike all of us, so tell us all the innovation the AAA industry has presented in the last few years? Cloning GTA with Assassins, cloning GTA with "hackers", cloning GTA with dildos, cloning GTA in first person, cloning Skyrim, cloning GTA in the west, cloning CoD, cloning Battlefield, cloning Gears of War DOESN'T count as innovation, sorry. Really, the only innovation in the industry comes from indie developers and Nintendo is the only company that tries... Not with their big franchises, but with smaller games like Pushmo and Captain Toad. Did you even heard of these games? No? Then stand in line with all of the other ignorant gamers who hates Nintendo for actually no reason. But hey, you are problably more popular, than me, because you do the cool thing: hate Nintendo...
Although Nintendo DOES frequently innovate with their big franchises (though I've since learned the term "innovation" is cheapened due to people equating "gimmick" with "innovation" and thus have gotten their views skewed from misinformation). If they DIDN'T innovate then there is no freaking way their franchises would be reaching the three-decade mark if they haven't already. Yeah, in two years stuff like Zelda and Metroid will be THIRTY YEARS OLD. Most series are lucky to reach the decade mark, if that. If they DIDN'T innovate they would have been dead long ago.

Xsjadoblayde said:
As much as i love Yahtzee, his fans echoing his opinions are the most annoying part of the escapist.
Moving quickly on... Better put on my fanboy trousers and get a WiiU then! Starfox brings back great gamecube memories. Charm can get you a far way into my night knickers, Nintendo! Hence why i cant force myself to complete skyrim.
Another problem that The Elder Scrolls series (and in fact a TON of open world in general) don't understand and refuse to fix: that being BIG is pointless in and of itself. Too much of those games is just filler. Fluff. Padding. It's nothing more than empty space. It doesn't make you feel like you're in a huge, epic world, it makes you feel like like the game is forcing you to commute. It's also why the dungeons in TES have always been boring, copy-pasted locales. With Zelda, you don't get that. Nearly every area of the map has some sort of secret, important event, item, or SOMETHING to justify its existence stretching all the way back to the very first title. There is no wasted space in a Zelda game and that the fact that they're able to do that and yet still make the world feel big is something most devs could only dream of.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
CrystalShadow said:
StriderShinryu said:
It sure looks pretty, but based on that footage I'm not sure where the actual gameplay is. Or, more importantly, where the content is. Having a big, open explorable world is one thing but, frankly, that's done by so many games these days it's not really a feature any more. What matters is what you do with all of that "open" space. I guess I've played enough open world games by now that a developer just saying "Hey, see that tower over there, you can walk there! And, get this, it'll take you 10 minutes of continuously pressing forward to do it!" doesn't really impress me.
You're looking at something that is probaly more than a year from being finished. What did you actually expect too see?
They mentioned in passing that something might be a dungeon entrance, but clearly if it is the dungeon probably doesn't exist yet...

This is essentially very early footage, as far as I can tell... Looks shiny, but probably has very little content, because the content hasn't been created yet...
Oh, I totally get that. What I don't get is why everyone is totally blowing their wad over this video. We already knew this new Zelda was going to be "open world" (though, really, most Zelda games have already been fairly open world in many ways). There's nothing new here except Nintendo going "See guys, it really is open world!" We already know what open world means in the context of games like this, and we know what the problems of those games are. This video does nothing to address how Zelda makes open world different, what about an open world Zelda is different from a non open world Zelda, and what an open world Zelda does to combat the problems inherent in making your game world large and explorable.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
CrystalShadow said:
StriderShinryu said:
It sure looks pretty, but based on that footage I'm not sure where the actual gameplay is. Or, more importantly, where the content is. Having a big, open explorable world is one thing but, frankly, that's done by so many games these days it's not really a feature any more. What matters is what you do with all of that "open" space. I guess I've played enough open world games by now that a developer just saying "Hey, see that tower over there, you can walk there! And, get this, it'll take you 10 minutes of continuously pressing forward to do it!" doesn't really impress me.
You're looking at something that is probaly more than a year from being finished. What did you actually expect too see?
They mentioned in passing that something might be a dungeon entrance, but clearly if it is the dungeon probably doesn't exist yet...

This is essentially very early footage, as far as I can tell... Looks shiny, but probably has very little content, because the content hasn't been created yet...
Oh, I totally get that. What I don't get is why everyone is totally blowing their wad over this video. We already knew this new Zelda was going to be "open world" (though, really, most Zelda games have already been fairly open world in many ways). There's nothing new here except Nintendo going "See guys, it really is open world!" We already know what open world means in the context of games like this, and we know what the problems of those games are. This video does nothing to address how Zelda makes open world different, what about an open world Zelda is different from a non open world Zelda, and what an open world Zelda does to combat the problems inherent in making your game world large and explorable.
Those are decent points I admit...
I'm not sure what they could've shown that in any way addressed that though...

The only thing I really got from the video myself is a sense of the scale involved. (And of course, where they're headed visually)...

What can they do with an open world? I have no idea. Honestly, Zelda has been getting more and more linear over time, so if it is an open world... A proper one, it's actually a radical departure from the trend the series has been following.
But a 5 minute video clearly isn't going to show much.

Perhaps the excitement is simply seeing something that is quite stunning compared to anything zelda-related in recent memory, and that hints at them doing what they said they would... (And not what they've been doing with the previous few entries in the series.)

Only time will tell, of course...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Robert Kalmar said:
It shows you are an expert gamer unlike all of us, so tell us all the innovation the AAA industry has presented in the last few years? Cloning GTA with Assassins, cloning GTA with "hackers", cloning GTA with dildos, cloning GTA in first person, cloning Skyrim, cloning GTA in the west, cloning CoD, cloning Battlefield, cloning Gears of War DOESN'T count as innovation, sorry. Really, the only innovation in the industry comes from indie developers and Nintendo is the only company that tries... Not with their big franchises, but with smaller games like Pushmo and Captain Toad. Did you even heard of these games? No? Then stand in line with all of the other ignorant gamers who hates Nintendo for actually no reason. But hey, you are problably more popular, than me, because you do the cool thing: hate Nintendo...
Lulz, I hate Nintendo because they are moronic. I hate Nintendo because they think motion controls are the controls of the near-future gaming. I hate Nintendo because they think exclusives is the right business model.I hate Nintendo for many many reasons.

Every publisher have their own "innovative" casual title may it be Child of Light (ubisoft) or Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (SE/Eidos) so stop your melodramatic whining.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Is anyone else noticing that awful render distance on the grass? Why would you fill your world with tall flowing grass if you can only see it within ten feet?

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Silentpony said:
Maybe I'm being cynical, but showing off new Zelda? Wouldn't it be more prudent to say "We cut this from the last Zelda. $50 please you rabid, desperate fanboy"?
You're trying too hard. This is 2014, almost 2015.

You need a new approach.

norwegian goose said:
Oh looks, another identical zelda game. Can't wait to never play it.
..and you. I am sick to death of seeing your inflammatory negativity everywhere I go.

Try having something constructive to say, for once.

OT: From what I saw on the stream last night, the game looks promising. There isn't much to go off of save for what little was shown during The Game Awards, but it looked pretty, I guess?

There's not much else to say than that.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
mad825 said:
Robert Kalmar said:
Lulz, I hate Nintendo because they are moronic. I hate Nintendo because they think motion controls are the controls of the near-future gaming. I hate Nintendo because they think exclusives is the right business model.I hate Nintendo for many many reasons.

Every publisher have their own "innovative" casual title may it be Child of Light (ubisoft) or Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (SE/Eidos) so stop your melodramatic whining.
To preface what I'm about to write, I do own all current and last gen consoles, and a PC, I game on every platform and if I really had to pick a favourite company, it would be Sony, not Nintendo.

That said, I don't see how objectively anyone could call Nintendo "moronic", Nintendo's first ever operating loss was recorded in 2012, it's second ever in 2013. Either way you look at it, Nintendo has never, ever, posted anything but a profit since 1889 when they were a card company (that's 125 years), even if you take it from their first venture into video gaming in 1974, that is still only 2 losses in 40 years; Sony have had 7 losses (and large ones at that, for the most part double to five times of Nintendo's) in 20 years; Microsoft's gaming division had 8 years in a row of straight losses, they have posted a loss more years than they have posted profit, on average they were losing 1 billion dollars a year.

2 losses from 40 doesn't seem so bad compared to 7 from 20, and 8 from 14.

A lot of people also seem to forget (or neglect the fact) that Nintendo has sold more Wii U consoles than Microsoft has sold Xbox One's, and that the original Wii outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined, and that the DS is the second best selling console of all time only a breath away from the PS2.

Nintendo, a video game only company, is worth more than the entirety of Sony, who make big budget movies, TVs, Mobile phones etc etc. ($18.3Bn vs $17.9Bn)

I would say at least 2 of your points don't make much sense, they are far from moronic, and from the last 40 years of experience and mostly success, exclusives seems to be a fine business model.

You seem to be confusing motion controls with gamepad functionality too, they have moved off the emphasis on motion controls from the Wii. Miyamoto isn't working on games that use motion controls, he is working on games that utilize the gamepad, which can and can not also involve motion related controls... there have been barely any games on the Wii U or 3DS in recent memory that use motion controls, it is no longer their focus. It is not a bad idea to try and find more creative uses for the gamepad though.

It's ok to not like Nintendo, if you want, though I don't see the point in hating a particular platform, because they all have their good parts.

But I would like to see less willfully oblivious comments and Nintendo hating for seemingly no reason.

Here is a list of over 75 new IPs created by Nintendo or directly funded by them (ala 2nd party studios) since the year 2000, which will only get bigger with things like Splatoon, project steam etc coming next year:
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/updated-75-new-nintendo-ips-since-year-2000/

I will also copy and paste some info from a previous post in another thread I made:

"There are more than double the amount of Assassin's creed games as there are Super Smash Bros games, despite Super Smash Bros being in existence for 8 years longer than Assassin's creed. Ubisoft has released more Assassin's creed games in less time than Super Smash Bros had been a series before Assassin's creed was created (wrap your mind around that).

There have been nine Main series Assassin's Creed games in 7 years (2007-2014).
There have been twenty two total Assassin's Creed games in 7 years (2007-2014).

There have been five total Super Smash Bros. games in 15 years (1999-2014).

Even with Nintendo releasing a separate version for 3DS and Wii U this generation, there are more Farcry games than there are Super Smash Bros. games, despite the SSB series being in existence a full 5 years longer than Farcry (9 Farcry games since 2004)."

"...and how about this one, there are more Assassin's Creed games than there are Super Smash Bros AND Mario Karts combined (13 total), hell, i'll even include the Japanese Arcade Mario Kart machines which brings it up to 16 total since 1992 (22 years).

There are more Assassin's Creed games than the entirety of the Zelda franchise since it was created in 1987. There have only been nineteen Legend of Zelda games since 1987, I even included Link's crossbow training for christ sake.

A series that has been around for 7 years, owned by Ubisoft, has spawned more games in that 7 years than a series, owned by Nintendo, has in 27 years."

Honestly, Nintendo go out of their way not to release the same game every year, they use a lot of the same IP, sure, but their actual mainstay of games (like mario kart, super smash bros, etc) is actually quite small, and there are huge gaps between games in those regular franchises (7 years between mario karts, 6 years between SSBs), but they also release a lot of original stuff.. games like luigis mansion, paper mario, mario RPG, super mario sunshine, hyrule warriors, toads treasure tracker, warioware, kirby/yoshi epic yarn, DK jungle beat, etc etc

Nintendo like to use established IPs, but it's only once in a blue moon Nintendo actually release what could be construed as "the same game", they are constantly trying to take their IPs in different directions, but as was pointed out by Jim Sterling in the Sonic Gloom Jimquisition, trying to re-invent the wheel with every game in the franchise just doesn't work, that's why Sonic has been woeful (for the most part) for the last 10 years, because they get onto a decent idea and instead of refining it they try to start from scratch. When Nintendo have a good idea, they refine it, and it works, the only people who actually complain about Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart aren't complaining because they are bad games (the opposite is true), they are complaining because it's Nintendo and apparently Nintendo making 2 similar games in the space of 7 years is blasphemous but EA, Ubisoft, Activision etc get a free pass for releasing the same game every. single. year.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
If it's any game that makes me squeal like a kid again, it's Zelda.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Covarr said:
You can tell Miyamoto's been hands-off with Zelda lately; he seems genuinely impressed.

P.S. Thanks
Yeah. I believe he mentioned before release of Skyward Sword that he doesn't even really need to get involved with the Zelda franchise anymore since Aunoma has a pretty dang good handle on things.

In fact, I think the last heavy involvement with a Zelda title he's had was Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
StriderShinryu said:
It's possible that they cut that out in the video to only show what they want. Keep in mind that there were a lot of flash transitions between them showing Link going towards his destination. Miyamoto dropped on hint though that time based events may happen, by his remark that there were apples growing on one of those trees (and they aren't there anymore.)

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
LysanderNemoinis said:
So Epona's on a glorified autopilot,
I would hardly jump to that conclusion yet. They simply just said that if your not controlling the stick at the moment she autopilots to avoid bumping into things. But I'm pretty sure without direction your just going to be running to who knows where.

It's a first look so I'd hold out anything else until more stuff shows up. They did a lot of flash transitions so they probably had more stuff in there that they didn't want to show us yet.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Man, people are just so hard to please. People have said that Zelda is "the same game" each time a new title is released, when finally they decide to incorporate other features from current games they say it's nothing special or worse just a copy.

No matter how much they try, Nintendo will never escape the Zelda Cycle [http://nintendo3dsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ZeldaCycle1.png]

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
LysanderNemoinis said:
So Epona's on a glorified autopilot, there's tons of open areas with little to do, the vaulting slowdown thing was last seen in Vanquish, there's a big bright symbol and a clang when you shoot enemies because how else could you tell if you hit them, and it's another 3D Zelda game. I think I'm going to go back to Ocarina of Time because after watching that, I don't think I'll be missing much.

The Big N may not release their games every year like Activision or Ubisoft, but they're all pretty samey even with the longer development times. Aside from their publishing of Bayonetta 2, I still haven't seen another reason to get a WiiU or care about anything Nintendo's been doing.
This being said about pretty early footage that is no way describing the entirety of the game itself...

OT: As always, looking forward to this one. Hope the open world stuff isn't shit, but I have a good feeling it'll be just fine~

Z of the Na said:
..and you. I am sick to death of seeing your inflammatory negativity everywhere I go.

Try having something constructive to say, for once..
God damn, a million times this...

norwegian goose said:
Oh looks, another identical zelda game. Can't wait to never play it.
Oh look, another person who thinks all Zelda games are the same. How new.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Sounds good. I for one like big open worlds, even if they're pretty sparse in content. I mean, that's what Windwaker was like, right? Big wide ocean, big travel times, and just a few islands and observation platforms? I loved that.

Still not getting a Wii U. If it doesn't come out on PC these days, I don't get it. It's that simple. No way I'm going to get caught up in buying every damn console for a few decent games. I'm a big boy with a computer now and a little self-control.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
It looks so pretty, I want it in my face, also I'm getting Majoras Mask ASAP.