Miyamoto Shows Off The Legend of Zelda, Discusses Starfox at Game Awards

Zipzip the Penguin

Feb 14, 2013
New Star Fox? New Zelda? Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped as fuck for a new Star Fox, but seriously...
WHERE THE FUCK IS METROID

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I keep hearing people going "Star Fox? Where's my new Metroid!", I like Metroid too, but while there has been 7 Metroid games in the past decade, there has been 3 Star Fox games (again, in the past decade). It's time for a new one.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Zipzip the Penguin said:
New Star Fox? New Zelda? Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped as fuck for a new Star Fox, but seriously...
WHERE THE FUCK IS METROID
Metroid is in a weird place right now. Intensely popular in the west but very lacking in japan, the last title in the franchise was one of the worst games of all time (I can justify that statement if any cares.) Metroid Other M was so bad it might have killed the franchise if Samus wasn't really the only overtly sexy Nintendo first party character (and thus a large portion of smash bros marketing was focused on her.)

So right after Other M faith in the Metroid franchise was at an all time low, making it practically impossible to sell in Japan and very unlikely to sell in the west. An extended break from the franchise was a practical necessity, and even now I am not sure it has been long enough for people to forget or forgive.

What Metroid needs is a new, back to roots 2D game that is everything Other M was not, assuring everyone that we can all just pretend Metroid Other M never happened. Kind of like how Link Between Worlds was a back to roots Zelda game that assured everyone that the franchise could stop being the stagnant katamari of tropes it had become, that there was room for new ideas, even if not everyone liked those new ideas.

Only, they have to nail this game. It has to be great. Or it might really be the death of Metroid.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I found it really interesting how Miyamoto, who isn't really involved in this, kept calling the horse "Epona." But Aonuma, who is working on this, kept calling it "the horse." Not to mention the physical differences between this horse and what Epona usually looks like.