Miyamoto Wanted Goldeneye 007 To End With Handshakes

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
I also enjoyed the part of the article where Nintendo allowed Rare to not develop another 007 game because Rare didn't want to. In a modern rule of annualized sequels, it's nice to see.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Glad they didn't do it. Having Goldeneye end with handshakes would be like ending a Call of Duty game with the main villain playing lead guitar to an Avenged Sevenfold song...
Would be totally out of place...

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Miyamoto is an ideas man, but he's also barking mad. Nintendo keeps him around because he's a genius, but they also have to filter his ideas through sane people and occasionally up his meds.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Randomvirus said:
I forgot there was a time where Nintendo games were mature.

As someone who grew up playing Nintendo games on the nes/snes/n64...

I wish Nintendo grew up with me...
"Were Mature"

So they stopped huh?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
DrownedAmmet said:
Glad they didn't do it. Having Goldeneye end with handshakes would be like ending a Call of Duty game with the main villain playing lead guitar to an Avenged Sevenfold song...
Would be totally out of place...
Why did you have to remind me about that. -_-

OT: I love Miyamoto a lot, but he has some of the weirdest ideas. Usually it works, but sometimes it can lead to the oddest stuff.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Randomvirus said:
I forgot there was a time where Nintendo games were mature.

As someone who grew up playing Nintendo games on the nes/snes/n64...

I wish Nintendo grew up with me...
"Were Mature"

So they stopped huh?
I'm not sure what that's meant to prove-all of those games are extremely immature.

And they're not just Nintendo games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Proof you should never surround yourself with yes-men. Because sometimes your ideas suck.
Lucas should've taken a page off Shigeru.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
If anything, the mention of GoldenEye reminds me how we used to consider that its shooting mechanics were top-notch. Coming back to this particular game after years of Borderlands, Halo and the like, I really have to scoff at my younger self who thought this game was flawless.

I tried to play it again last spring, during Montreal's Game On exhibition, and I just couldn't. It's weird, how we didn't think to make enemies line up in the center of the screen, or to give the player an option to do that - GoldenEye had you shifting your gun's aiming point independently of the main camera. How anyone could have thought this was practical, I have no idea. You couldn't circle-strafe, but you absolutely could laboriously re-orient your reticle while hoping to God that Bond would keep being a bullet sponge for a few seconds longer.

We've been spoiled by the shooter genre, really. Now it's all snappy and effective and immersive across all major franchises and systems.
I don't think they did too badly given the bizarre controller and lack of a second analogue stick, but yeah, it certainly hasn't aged well.
Technically, you can play with two controllers. I always did.
I mean, strictly speaking Goldeneye may have been the first game to ever implement dual analog controls, even if most don't seem aware of their existence.

Here's a tip for you if you have two working controllers, and are playing Goldeneye or perfect dark. (it only works in singleplayer modes though)

Go into the options and switch the controls from 1.1 to 2.1 or 2.2
Holding a controller one-handed will feel a little weird, but It's a major improvement on the single controller schemes.
And a testament to the 'weird' design of the N64 controller that using it one-handed works surprisingly well.
There's logic tp the madnese, if you can get over the shock value of it's weird shape, and just follow along with how it was designed to be used...

You know, I didn't think Miyamoto was that clueless about certain game genres...
Odd.

In any event, Nintendo is still Nintendo, even if they have taken to 'violent' and 'adult' content from second party devs.

Worth remembering Nintendo funded and published Bayonetta 2 of all things.
So...

I would think their attitudes about this stuff are more relaxed nowadays, even if their first party stuff is still much the same...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fortunately, Bond remained the suave and deadly agent to the bitter end, as he should be.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
The part of that speaking about the gore renders just comes off as puerile and juvenile. Bond is many things, but splatter violence is not one of them (Timothy Dalton's odd run notwithstanding). If anything this just reminds me that the more I hear of Rare the more they come off as a bunch of middling talents who got lucky instead of truly skilled creators.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The second point was, he felt the game was too tragic, with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital."
This is the same guy who was the creative director of a game where by the end you plunge a sword right into the baddie's forehead, right?
which is immediately made apparent afterwards that he didn't kill him but just trapped him in another dimension

hell in super mario 3d land bowser is still alive after the last battle

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
This is why Rare and Nintendo would've eventually disbanded anyway. I would love to see this early version of Goldeneye though as a huge Goldeneye fan as I am.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
CrystalShadow said:
FirstNameLastName said:
IamLEAM1983 said:
If anything, the mention of GoldenEye reminds me how we used to consider that its shooting mechanics were top-notch. Coming back to this particular game after years of Borderlands, Halo and the like, I really have to scoff at my younger self who thought this game was flawless.

I tried to play it again last spring, during Montreal's Game On exhibition, and I just couldn't. It's weird, how we didn't think to make enemies line up in the center of the screen, or to give the player an option to do that - GoldenEye had you shifting your gun's aiming point independently of the main camera. How anyone could have thought this was practical, I have no idea. You couldn't circle-strafe, but you absolutely could laboriously re-orient your reticle while hoping to God that Bond would keep being a bullet sponge for a few seconds longer.

We've been spoiled by the shooter genre, really. Now it's all snappy and effective and immersive across all major franchises and systems.
I don't think they did too badly given the bizarre controller and lack of a second analogue stick, but yeah, it certainly hasn't aged well.
Technically, you can play with two controllers. I always did.
I mean, strictly speaking Goldeneye may have been the first game to ever implement dual analog controls, even if most don't seem aware of their existence.

Here's a tip for you if you have two working controllers, and are playing Goldeneye or perfect dark. (it only works in singleplayer modes though)

Go into the options and switch the controls from 1.1 to 2.1 or 2.2
Holding a controller one-handed will feel a little weird, but It's a major improvement on the single controller schemes.
And a testament to the 'weird' design of the N64 controller that using it one-handed works surprisingly well.
There's logic tp the madnese, if you can get over the shock value of it's weird shape, and just follow along with how it was designed to be used...

You know, I didn't think Miyamoto was that clueless about certain game genres...
Odd.

In any event, Nintendo is still Nintendo, even if they have taken to 'violent' and 'adult' content from second party devs.

Worth remembering Nintendo funded and published Bayonetta 2 of all things.
So...

I would think their attitudes about this stuff are more relaxed nowadays, even if their first party stuff is still much the same...
Don't forget Eternal Darkness and Miyamoto being the one who came to Kojima to put a Metal Gear on the Gamecube.