MMOG Makers Say "No Game Will Topple WoW"

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Abedeus said:
The MMO that beats WoW must be easier, a lot easier to play.
Yes, lets get an MMO where you don't have to do anything. That'll be the wow-killer![/saracasm]
The only people who say WoW is too easy are those who never bothered challenging the difficult encounters.

Warstratigier

Mar 28, 2009
If WoW is to be beaten by time then I would say they were right when it comes to me. I've done my time with WoW, and it was a long one. There were some great times, but inevitably, all good things have to come to an end.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Amnestic said:
Why is that Goblin in Tier 5? Cool picture though.

I've been saying that for ages. Guess people pay more attention when you're actually in the industry.

Punisher A.J. said:
I found it boring........ damn you lv 50 dead zone!
45-55 is undoubtedly the worst part of levelling for me.
30-51 (I love the plaguelands)

Time will, most likely, eat WoW.

Georgeman

Mar 2, 2009
WoW can be killed and will be killed.

It can be killed, but it won't be easy. It will be probably killed by a game that comes out of nowhere and doesn't promise the moons. It certainly won't be killed by other overhyped MMOs.

Blizzard should better prepare their own WoW-killer, because if they don't kill it, someone else will. Old empires are always toppled by new empires eventually.

As for those developers commenting that it is impossible to topple WoW, maybe they wouldn't say so if they knew WoW's recipe of success.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Glademaster said:
What happened to no mention of GW2 if any MMO will topple WoW it will be that. As GW and WoW are the 2 biggests MMOs of their type out there.
Well yeah GW2 would stand a chance, but it's got a development track copied right out of the 3d realms textbook. I doubt it will even come out this year even though the beta was supposedly for summer of 2008.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
I think a lot of people in this thread are missing the point. The main reason the WoW can't be toppled is simply the vast amount of members it has. You can say "x game will pull members away from WoW" but it just won't. The only game that could outsell WoW would be a hypothetical WoW2 and even that would take a year or two for most people to make the transition.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Agreed. We've been saying this for years.

Toppling WoW is like toppling Mario. I mean all of society knows what WoW is.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Amnestic said:
samsonguy920 said:
Abedeus said:
Yes, lets get an MMO where you don't have to do anything. That'll be the wow-killer![/saracasm]
The only people who say WoW is too easy are those who never bothered challenging the difficult encounters.
Which with each patch grow fewer and farther between. I am keeping my fingers crossed on seeing more unique quests come with Cataclysm instead more of the same ol grind.

Darkf0rge

Apr 2, 2009
I don't care how many people play WOW or how much money it makes. Gameplay is king. and in this regard it was already toppled a long time ago by many MMO's that have been released, the MMO community is just so brainwashed by this title.

Even it's precursor Everquest was a far better game than this POS. Blizzard is overated, and If I have to wait another 5 years for Diablo 3 I am going to be pissed.

Blizzard stop announcing your games so god damned early. It's not like you arent going to sell 1 billion copies of every title you make by reputation alone.

In fact many of your games that I might have been interested in like Starcraft 2, I could care less for now simply because we have been waiting for so fucking long.

/rant over.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Amnestic said:
samsonguy920 said:
Abedeus said:
Which with each patch grow fewer and farther between. I am keeping my fingers crossed on seeing more unique quests come with Cataclysm instead more of the same ol grind.
Admittedly I was talking raiding rather than solo content, but even then there are plenty of solo challenges you just...have to tackle group quests on your own.

And not be a Paladin, Warlock, Death Knight, Hunter or (if your opponent can be slowed) a mage. Or a druid.

Really...most classes.

Jiraiya72 said:
Eh..semantics I guess. Vivendi has the majority share of stock but they don't have it all :p
Indeed. "Vivendi was the majority shareholder, with a 54% stake in the company. The rest of the shares were held by institutional and private investors and continue to be traded on the NASDAQ stock market, for the first 10 trading days post closing as ATVID, and subsequently as ATVI. Jean-Bernard Levy will replace René Penisson as chairman of Activision Blizzard" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard#Results_of_the_merger]

Not exactly how Activision factor into your posts though.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
The only thing that might topple WOW is something with giant robots.

I just felt I should say that.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Amnestic said:
samsonguy920 said:
Amnestic said:
samsonguy920 said:
Abedeus said:
Admittedly I was talking raiding rather than solo content, but even then there are plenty of solo challenges you just...have to tackle group quests on your own.

And not be a Paladin, Warlock, Death Knight, Hunter or (if your opponent can be slowed) a mage. Or a druid.

Really...most classes.
I've often wondered how far one can get without applying any talent points, just going generic. That might be the spice for me. Challenge awaits!

Raijinken

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah like alot of peopple pointed out the only thing to kill WoW is WoW i think its gonna die of heart attack beacuse of to many expansions and updates and when that happens theres gonna be a massive exdus of millions of players to other games wich will be fun to watch and bet on :)

sleepykid

Jan 28, 2010
There's a kind of game that really I haven't seen attempted yet, at least when it comes to western audiences. An MMOARPG, the "a" standing for "action". With eastern games they have things like Lunia, Dungeon Fighter Online, Dragonica, etc. Champions online was a step in the right direction, but if something could be significantly twitch-based and real-time without being an fps, that would fill a niche that so far hasn't even been touched.

And, as always, if an mmo could pull off having all their players feel that their actions had a meaningful impact on the game world, that would probably do the trick too. It's hard to feel like a hero when nothing seems to change, other then the phatness of your loot.

Bane_Star

Dec 4, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Thats an incredibly bold statement.

The Roman Empire looked unstoppable. Attila the Hun proved that wrong.

The British Empire looked to dominate the planet forever more.

America is looking like it might be replaced as the world dominant superpower within our lifetimes.

WoW is much, much smaller than any of those things.
Smaller?

Given the population of WoW Players, the fact that they are on some kind of life support in all parts of the world, making it nigh on impossible to destroy them individually, attacking the hub of the system would be a hickup until they re-boot somewhere else (they surely have less than 3 hour back-up system)

I doubt that the WoW empire can be toppled, Any game that comes out that is as dumb, brainless, grindcrazy, over coloured, materialistic, Non-Roleplay, Hack and slash, genre destroying, pile of crud, will not have the Fan-base enough to make it worth playing, to get enough players to topple WoW.

Any game that improves on these aspects to be a decent MMO, loses the 'fun' aspect, and depletes the potential market-base.

The Only kind of game that I could see taking out WoW, would have to have some kind of Port-over effect, allowing you to teleport your character from the WoW world to another..

Tad-Williams: Otherworld, here we come..

Bane_Star

Dec 4, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Abedeus said:
That might be an interesting game.. the player chooses the upgrades from leveling up, the combat style, what to equip, and when to retreat, and sets the Hero going. You can watch it do itself live, or just save highlights and leave the game running while you get on with your life. Come back and watch the high-lights (boss battles or extreme situations your character survived) save them to show your friends later (youtube) If your character dies he goes back to a 'previous save point' .. like a big choose your own adventure game..

"Ok Brogra the Orc Shaman, I want you to go to the town of Morgath, defeat the Scather Beaat and come back to town, Heal yourself only when your less than 50%, or if the highest damage from the opponent exceeds your current health score, concentrate on high damage weapons, and strike skills, See you tommorrow and I'll watch your play-by-play with my girlfriend"

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Bane_Star said:
samsonguy920 said:
Abedeus said:
That might be an interesting game.. the player chooses the upgrades from leveling up, the combat style, what to equip, and when to retreat, and sets the Hero going. You can watch it do itself live, or just save highlights and leave the game running while you get on with your life. Come back and watch the high-lights (boss battles or extreme situations your character survived) save them to show your friends later (youtube) If your character dies he goes back to a 'previous save point' .. like a big choose your own adventure game..

"Ok Brogra the Orc Shaman, I want you to go to the town of Morgath, defeat the Scather Beaat and come back to town, Heal yourself only when your less than 50%, or if the highest damage from the opponent exceeds your current health score, concentrate on high damage weapons, and strike skills, See you tommorrow and I'll watch your play-by-play with my girlfriend"
And instead you get to see a nice long clip of Brogra selling all his useful items on the Auction House, getting it on with the tauren innkeeper at Thunder Bluff(wearing just a lvl 3 loincloth), singing "Give Peace a Chance" in orcish with a bunch of trolls, and then practicing basejumping off of Freewind Post, without benefit of Slow Fall or a parachute cloak. About then you realize you had left him untended during Brewfest.