MMORPG's

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Ashbax said:
Sky Captanio said:
Davey woo: Is Guild wars free or just cheap?
The attraction is no subscription fees. Once you buy the game, thats all you ever have to pay. No monthly fees or that.

However, that is cancelled out by the fact that it is a small, shitty and boring game.
(Sigh) I can't believe I'm doing this, BUT I quite enjoy Guild Wars. I realize you're probably going to pin me to the wall for that statement, but it has always been a handy fallback for me. If I get bored of the singleplayer dujour, I just bust onto GW and widdle the hours away. For a hardcore fulltime player, I could see its low level cap being a non-plus, but to a more casual player, like myself, it's bitesize and manageable.

My name is Mikki and I have a 4th year W/Mo named Norin Maul. Now, if you'll excuse me I'll be over with the other casual players in Tetris Corner. Good Day, Sir.

Derpus von Herpus

Nov 14, 2008
I swore I'd never get back into WoW but I did and it feels good man. As much as there is to hate about it, it really is the best-done MMORPG so far.

Now, when Star Wars: The Old Republic comes out, man, fuck Azeroth.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Ashbax said:
The attraction is no subscription fees. Once you buy the game, thats all you ever have to pay. No monthly fees or that.

However, that is cancelled out by the fact that it is a small, shitty and boring game.
Hell no.

Too many players with a WoW/EQ mentality eventually ruined PvE-with-strangers and PvP oscillates between interesting and stupid depending on the prevailing metagame, but it's still by far one of the better-designed online RPGs out there.

It actually lets skilled players step up and play with veterans right out the gate instead of making them waste months on laboriously grinding up character stats to compete on an even playing field.

And, in a genre known for games that look like they were published five years ago(*) on their release day, Guild Wars actually looks good.

-- Alex

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
Pretty much played most of the MMO's on the market at the moment, and WoW is easily the most entertaining one. It's newbie-friendly, has a great community and is good fun. Warhammer Online is the best option if you really like player vs. player, but I find it lacking on the player vs. environment side. If you are new to MMO's, I'd definitely go for WoW. Allthough a KotOR MMO is on it's way, and it's probably going to be awesome.

Edit: Oh, and go Horde.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
lukey94 said:
You know if money's tight you could always check out a private server for WoW, or near enough any MMORPG
If it's a private server, doesn't that take the whole "MMO" part out of it?

CallmeMerry

Feb 12, 2009
If you're looking for an MMO to get into right now, I would have to recommend WoW. I tried DDO, Eve, Guild Wars, Warhammer, City of Heroes/Villians, and a couple others that don't matter now because of server shutdowns. Just something to watch out for is that MMO's are not always friendly to new players. Plus end game content is usually the best thing about MMO's.

I would suggest to wait for a while before picking one up. Champions online and Aion: Tower of Eternity have pre-orders shipping Sept. 1st and DC universe online is coming out in 2010, so if you can hold out for a while, any of those look entertaining and you won't be behind everyone like so many of the MMO's out now.

Derpus von Herpus

Nov 14, 2008
Mercanary57 said:
lukey94 said:
You know if money's tight you could always check out a private server for WoW, or near enough any MMORPG
If it's a private server, doesn't that take the whole "MMO" part out of it?
Yes and no. Yes, in that it does remove a lot of the danger and mystique because you're going to know or get to know most of the people on the server. No, because it's still online-only, and you're still going to be teaming up with Internet strangers to get your quests and dungeons done.

It's actually not a terrible idea, you know.

Xionis Zeshun

Jun 6, 2009
Personally I have a lot of fun with FFXI, I find the social aspect of the game very appealing, as opposed to WoW where you can pretty much solo your way right up to endgame. Now, this very aspect is what turns some people off of FFXI, as you do indeed rely heavily on teamwork and strangers for most of your leveling. (Though recent updates have added a slew of options to make this really really easy, compared to what it was like before.) FFXI also has storyline quests that I really enjoyed, and most of them don't fall under the "grind 30 wombats" category.

That being said, FFXI is not the game for you if you just want a quick jaunt into the world MMO to wet your feet persay. It takes a good investment of time and effort to move up, but once you acquire a group of good friends it's one of the funnest experiences I've ever had.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, as it hadn't been mentioned yet.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
Okay, I am extremely cynical that there exists a "good MMORPG" Here are the tenets of one:

1. NO MORE DAMN GRINDING.
2. Interesting main concept(such as many skills other than combat)
3. Good combat/skill execution.
4. Connected in-game community (read: No KKK)
5. Involved plot.

I challenge you to find me an MMORPG that adheres to these values, and preferably (but not necessarily) is not too expensive and with average or higher graphics. To the person who achieves this, I will give one (1) free high-five. And a lifetime supply of oxygen.

And I've played Runescape since it was 2D. It actually has improved a lot, but not enough to keep me playing. Also, compare the cost of Runescape (free to $5 a month) to WoW($15 a month no matter what). I'd say they are equal if you remember that factor, but it really just hinges on your opinion.

dcomproductions

Feb 23, 2009
depending on what gamer you are, try to wait for the game global agenda. it brings mmo with fps and does it with success. i've played a beta of it and it's amazing. it's like someone put WOW and Unreal Tournament in a breeding cell and global agenda is it's offspring. and not the retarded offspring that everyone hates, the one everyone knows and loves and (if your another mmo fan) loathes because your not playing it

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
Merteg said:
Ashbax said:
Merteg said:
Sky Captanio said:
No offence but Runescape sucks. I tried it. It is the most horrible looking game i've ever seen.
It proves more about you than it does about Runescape that you don't like it because of graphics.
No, it just proves hes smart. Runescape is quite an awful game. It was good in 2002, but gaming standards have really gotten better than that crap.
I've played Runescape for over 6 years and I'd say it is much better than World of Warcraft.

Gaming standards have increased? Games are about fun. Have your "fun standards" increased? Are you saying older games are instantly bad?
Ive played runescape for i think 4 years: Shadowking33 (lvl 101)
and Ive played WoW for around 2 years: Bananagans (lvl 80 Spriest)

and i think they are both fun, but you get what you pay for and WoW being more expensive is A LOT better then runescape.

only problem is most of the fun is in the end of the game content and dont get me wroung that fun is overwhelming and just an all out blast but a lot of people are not committed enough to lvl to 80.

Runescape is babies first MMO and to answer this thread GET WOW it is amazing.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
ArcWinter said:
Okay, I am extremely cynical that there exists a "good MMORPG" Here are the tenets of one:

5. Involved plot.

I challenge you to find me an MMORPG that adheres to these values, and preferably (but not necessarily) is not too expensive and with average or higher graphics. To the person who achieves this, I will give one (1) free high-five. And a lifetime supply of oxygen.

And I've played Runescape since it was 2D. It actually has improved a lot, but not enough to keep me playing. Also, compare the cost of Runescape (free to $5 a month) to WoW($15 a month no matter what). I'd say they are equal if you remember that factor, but it really just hinges on your opinion.
Guild Wars comes close:

1. The grinding is rather optional. You level-up while trying to beat the next mission or move to the next area. People still grind for prestige loot and worthless titles, though.
2. No non-combat stuff here (crafting gameplay would lead to grinding), but an "interesting main concept" nonetheless: combat is mostly skill-driven; you pick your "skill bar" like a deck of Magic cards and can rearrange it freely in town.
3. The best combat gameplay of any MMOG: fine-grained timing and positioning, generally a good balance of different combat roles and effects, more to do in battle than just "DPS" and healing.
4. Hmm... not especially.
5. The game's campaign missions do actually have a plot to them. It's a pretty generic fantasy plotline -- saving the world from evil-for-the-sake-of-evil, -- but it's still more "story" than most MMOGs. The setting's pretty nice. I like the multicultural angle, even if it's a bit stereotypical at times.
6. Nowadays you can get all three main "campaigns" for the price of one new single-player video game, no monthly whatever. It's a few years old by now, but I still haven't seen an MMOG with better graphics (maybe AoC, but that game is riddled with other issues).

-- Alex

Rhob Anybody

Apr 3, 2009
ArcWinter said:

5. Involved plot.

As I said before DDO.

1. Very little in the way of grinding and all the grinding in game atm is optional.
2. too many things to list in this catergory without sounding like a bad sales rep. Instance based questing (meaning no waiting for respawns), no generic questing (meaning quests dont just mean kill x amount of y mobs), fully customisable characters (depending on how you create your character 2 fighters can be completely different with the same gear) and the fact its based around the 3.5 ed d&d ruleset could possibly give you an idea though.
3. Combat is real time and nothing like anything seen in any other mmo. Possibly the best feature of the game.
4. Very new player friendly comunity. Ive played a lot of mmo's and can in all honesty say I've never met a comunity as friendly and diverse as there is in DDO.
5. Now the downside. The story in DDO kinda falls to the backseat. There is one there (most individual quests have a little bit of story to them) but it tends to sit in the background looking sheepish without ever jumping out and grabbing your attention.

Costs are about the same as wow (not sure on U.S. prices but the EU ones are about the same).
Graphics are considerably better than wow (downside to this though is that the system requirements are quite a bit higher, most systems today though should run it with no problems though).

Hope that answered your question :)

willgreg123

Aug 4, 2008
AAAAH! MUMORPUGERS! NOOOOO!

Sorry, I pretty much just wanted to type out mumorpuger. I use to play allot of... oh bugger, actually, I normally quit them right after I get my first bill. I just don't see the point of games you have to pay for constantly, especially since there are many free ones out there now that may only be half as good, but they're fucking free, so it's hard to complain.

Now that I think about it, I miss my old account on Rappelz sometimes. Then again, I also miss playing Oblivion too, but I'm pretty sure I'd regret it if I tried installing that game again because it takes 2 gigs of mods just to make it interesting to me anymore.