MMOs and you

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:
Solaire of Astora said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I wasn't an MMO player for a long time, but I decided to try FFXIV because a few friends on here were trying it, still subbed since January, definitely hooked me in a way no other MMO could. I like the content, I enjoy doing roulettes and the raid content is fun to learn (though you better get a full static for it, end game is populated with jackasses who kick you for small slip-ups)

I myself play on Moogle btw.
Yeah, I know the feeling with end-game jackasses.

I basically transferred over from another MMO with a group of friends I already had, so the issue of finding a static was pretty much moot. We're still stuck on Turn 9 of the Second Coil, though. Sucks. ;_;
Also we killed Odin. Have t-shirts and photos to prove it.

Can't wait for it to hit and for all the i130 twats to start raving how easy it is. > > Try it on a PS4, without mouse hotkeys, and in flat unweathered soldiery gear, with crap food and random muppets on the show floor.
Ah. London Fan Fest, I'm assuming? I'm jealous; I live frigging thousands of miles away from Las Vegas unless I'm on a long break from school, so no opportunity like that for me. That and they scheduled it during my school semesters so it's doubly impossible.

I'm assuming when Odin is implemented for everyone else that it'll only be available as an 'Extreme' version. That or the hard mode will be around i85 or i90. But we'll have to see.
The main event fight with Odin has been confirmed to be "Hard Mode". There will be an extreme mode.

Odin is not that complex tbh, you dodge his AoE, kill Gungnir adds on spawn. At 13 minutes or 15% HP he moves to the middle and begins his Zantetsuken cast.

At this point he does nothing else. If he casts it you wipe. It is a straight damage race. Everybody needs cooldowns, Requiem should be up, both healers in cleric with plenty of mana for Holy and Shadow Flare + Dots and maybe Selene, if you can slow your damage to prep selene in advance that is. Tanks also need to switch to DPS form and throw everything at him. We had the fastest zantetsuken kill according to the event overviewers, the trick was to use Final Heaven above 15%, around 16-20%, so your melee can go crazy immediately after

Everyone is going to outgear it considerably on launch, extreme will likely have more dangerous AOE and such with a faster cast.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Solaire of Astora said:
Ah. London Fan Fest, I'm assuming? I'm jealous; I live frigging thousands of miles away from Las Vegas unless I'm on a long break from school, so no opportunity like that for me. That and they scheduled it during my school semesters so it's doubly impossible.

I'm assuming when Odin is implemented for everyone else that it'll only be available as an 'Extreme' version. That or the hard mode will be around i85 or i90. But we'll have to see.
Fan Fest was fun, was glad to clear the main event, we did it in record time according to Fest Staff, which is interesting since we had 2 people (who were DPS) on weakness.

Once the fight hits the game proper, expect people to completely downplay the accomplishment by beating it in full i130 raid gear and having more than one try (you had 15 mins to beat him, but it took at least 10 mins to get him to his final phase, so one try) in flat i100 gear in a class you are possibly not good at (you were forbidden from changing the set-up)

The White Hunter said:
Odin is not that complex tbh, you dodge his AoE, kill Gungnir adds on spawn. At 13 minutes or 15% HP he moves to the middle and begins his Zantetsuken cast.
It wasn't that it was complex, it was that you had one try, you lose, you have to queue again, possibly to be put on a job you aren't as good as, but expect "veteran" twats to say they would have facerolled it np when it hits the game proper.
The que was still shorter than the current melee dps que time xD That was rivalled only by the merch stall. Anyway get yo ass on

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:
Also, for your amusement, people on the FFXIV Forums are legit freaking the hell out that the Second Coil has recieved some nerfs [http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/204637-So-Second-Coil-has-been-destroyed].
Most of it amounts to "filthy casual's plaguing our gaem" and its a delight to see.
Top kek.

That stuff is priceless to read tbh

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:
Also, for your amusement, people on the FFXIV Forums are legit freaking the hell out that the Second Coil has recieved some nerfs [http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/204637-So-Second-Coil-has-been-destroyed].
Most of it amounts to "filthy casual's plaguing our gaem" and its a delight to see.
Yeah, I'm surprised people are so upset when it's content that's 7 months old at this point. It's not like either of them are really very DF-able either. My experience with DFing T6 and T7 yesterday was uh...questionable. But at least we cleared T7?

Frankly, after dealing with the original T7 for months, I'm quite happy it's been nerfed. It was a frustrating slog before that was still partially RNG dependent. Which totally makes sense for endgame raids, y'know.

Gotta let people who weren't able to experience it before for whatever reason in somehow.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Eh, I go through phases with MMO's. I've played them off and on for decades, my earliest experience being Ultima Online, followed by EQ, and so on up the MMO evolutionary chain. I find them fun for the most part, but the repetition of actions without any tangible effect on the world around me makes me tire of them really fast. Since it's a persistent world, where they have to allow everyone to have the same content experience, there isn't anything unique about any of your characters. You all just repeat the same actions over and over.

A good example, the game ArcheAge. In the tutorial/opening hours of the game, you come up to a particular stone along the path that the story quest sends you. There is a young woman standing by the stone...apparently because she just likes standing by rocks next to a path. She bubbles and giggles at you while talking ( I really don't understand why, other than she's an anime inspired female character and thus...you know..bubbly), and she tells you to touch the stone. You do so, and a brand burns on your hand, marking you as The Special Snowflake of Legend, Not Seen in Centuries. That's fine and all....eeeeexcept for one little problem.....

The rock is surrounded by about 3 dozen other players, all getting the same speech as you about being Super Special Snowflake.

Thus, the cool factor of this "revelation" is instantly diluted by the fact that everybody's doing the same story, with the same stuff, and there really isn't anything dynamic going on. It's everyone playing the same character in a well read script, without any real impact on what's going on.

Now some games lessen this problem by allowing player controlled/run content, but it's very minimal in my experience, and doesn't impact anything outside of those specific zones where this behavior is allowed.

So when I'm playing a game like that, or any of the MMO's really, my interest starts to tank dramatically as I feel the repetition and grind of it. Which is usually when I stop playing.

But that's one reason why I like the FTP model, because I can easily stop playing some game when I get bored with it, without any worry that I'm wasting money or not. It was fun for a bit, and then it was put aside.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:
Yeah, I'm surprised people are so upset when it's content that's 7 months old at this point. It's not like either of them are really very DF-able either. My experience with DFing T6 and T7 yesterday was uh...questionable. But at least we cleared T7?

Frankly, after dealing with the original T7 for months, I'm quite happy it's been nerfed. It was a frustrating slog before that was still partially RNG dependent. Which totally makes sense for endgame raids, y'know.

Gotta let people who weren't able to experience it before for whatever reason in somehow.
DF Titan Extreme. It is literally the most amusing thing you can do in the game. Que as tank, proceed to watch everyone fail horribly.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The White Hunter said:
DF Titan Extreme. It is literally the most amusing thing you can do in the game. Que as tank, proceed to watch everyone fail horribly.
I don't think I ever will.

I vowed to myself after clearing it once that I would never do Titan EX again. Shit was traumatizing.

Every other EX fight is fine, though. Sort of. Thornmarch EX comes pretty close to Titan EX in terms of "fuck this shit."

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:

I vowed to myself after clearing it once that I would never do Titan EX again. Shit was traumatizing.

Every other EX fight is fine, though. Sort of. Thornmarch EX comes pretty close to Titan EX in terms of "fuck this shit."
Titan Extreme is fun, I have no need for anything related to running it thus never bother.

Thornmarch extreme is fucking easy man, it's easier than it's HM O_O.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I tried a fair few of them from 2004-2009 and decided they all had one thing in common: The experience was overwhelmingly boring shit punctuated by very brief moments of fun.

A more, I dunno, "thoughtful" analysis would describe MMOs as decent games boiled down to grind and numerical shin-kicking then arranged to look more complex/deep than they actually are.

I regret nearly every hour I spent on MMOs, and abjectly refuse to play them going forward...despite the gaming world doing its utmost to wrangle social pressure against me (the only games my friends play now are MMOs or F2P "MMO-likes" [my term, not formal; describes games like LoL and WoT])

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
The White Hunter said:
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:

Titan Extreme is fun, I have no need for anything related to running it thus never bother.

Maybe it's just my personal experience with my group talking there. I play Dragoon so I'm typically not the cause of wipes. Sometimes the tanks in my group have a difficult time adapting to certain situations and the entire group has to wait until they nail it. At times this can take a while, and that leads to frustration.

I don't really remember much about at this point. But I don't think I want to. ;_;

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I play MMOs, but honestly... I'm not sure if I like them when compared to other genres. They're a great timesink, and they're dirt cheap compared to frequently buying brand new games which I tend to go through rather quickly. They're also a pretty decent place to meet people and hang out with friends, so they've got that going for them, and it's probably my #1 reason for playing.

The MMOs I've played are...

1. City of Heroes / City of Villains - This was my first MMO. A friend convinced me to play it a little bit before Enhancement Diversification went live. Overall I had a blast with this game, and it had hands-down the best character creator ever implemented in a game (probably even still to this day). If the game were still running, I'd still be playing it. I very much miss my Claws/Regen Scrapper, my Assault Rifle/Dark Miasma Corruptor, and my Energy Melee/Willpower Brute.

2. World of WarCraft - I started playing this game at its time of launch, and got really into it for a while. I've taken a few breaks from it, but I've still played it pretty consistently. I'm not really a hardcore raider anymore, though. The last time I would have described myself as such would have been during the Firelands raid in Cataclysm. These days I play it pretty casually.

3. Champions Online - I had high hopes for this game, because I thought it was going to be a graphically improved City of Heroes. Turns out that it was just crap. Oddly enough it was a game that was actually a lot more fun during the beta than after launch, because post-launch they were CONSTANTLY nerfing abilities into the ground, typically just to pander to the tiny yet loud PvP community. By the time they were done with their nerfing the game hardly felt like a super hero game anymore, because the enemies that you used to be able to wade through armies of could now kick your ass without a second though. When your nerf cycle makes it so bad that a supposed super hero can be taken down in a matter of seconds by a street punk firing a pair of Glocks "gangsta" style... yeah, something's seriously messed up. The character creator was a bit of an odd duck too. In some ways it was better than City of Heroes, like letting you use more colors per costume piece, but in other ways it was significantly worse. It would frequently restrict what costume pieces you could use based on other choices, and often they would have no interference (like a certain hat barring you from using a certain chest piece or pair of boots). It also scaled costume pieces oddly based on your character's body type, so if you tried to use a body type different from one of the defaults it would stretch and warp the costume piece to fit the new shape rather than just scaling it up or down.

4. Rift - I actually liked this game quite a bit. I played a Saboteur at launch, and shifted to a Chloromancer later. The Chloromancer was the only class I hit max level with though, because while I liked the game quite a bit, I quickly began to miss World of WarCraft because of how damn similar they were. I don't recall the game doing anything particularly bad or poorly... it just didn't do enough to make it feel distinct from World of WarCraft to warrant keeping an active account in it.

5. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - A friend of mine talked me into playing this a while back when it went on sale on Amazon. I played for my first free month, and haven't bothered to play it since. I pretty much immediately uninstalled the game the moment my first month ran out. This game... ugh. This game was, to me, aggressively boring. It had relatively pretty graphics, I guess... but other than that it did nothing to draw me in.

6. Star Wars: The Old Republic - I played this for a few months at launch, and mostly liked it. It was pretty boring to play solo, but really shined when played with a group. I played with two friends from my World of WarCraft guild, one a Light-aligned Jedi Knight tank the other a Light-aligned Jedi Consular healer. To troll them, I played a Dark-aligned Trooper ranged DPS. It made dialogue hilarious, because my friends would be all goody-two-shoes seeking diplomacy, then I'd get a lucky dice roll in the middle of the conversation and actually get shit done (IE: typically murder; lots and lots of murder) while the characters they were roleplaying presumably /facepalm and wonder why they hang out with this jerk. So yeah, we had a lot of laughs. I also really enjoyed the rail-shooter space missions. It just didn't have a whole lot of content at max level, so we got bored of it pretty quick and moved on.

7. Guild Wars 2 - I mostly enjoyed my time with this game. It was relatively pretty, the music was decent, the gameplay was pretty solid and didn't seem to have too many bugs. The jumping puzzles were a lot of fun, especially the holiday event ones. In fact, the events as a whole were a lot of fun and pretty common. That said, the questing is pretty boring and grind-tastic (even worse than games like World of WarCraft that at least TRY to break up the grind from time to time). I still log in from time to time for holiday events, mostly just to do the jumping puzzles, but that's about it. Unfortunately it's one of those MMOs where, to me anyway, getting to max level kind felt like I'd beaten the game and there wasn't much left to do.

8. The Secret World - I bought this for like $5 during a Steam sale last year, and I still play it from time to time. It feels a lot like Guild Wars 2 to me, in a mostly good way, but with a setting that I find more entertaining. I generally enjoy the writing, particularly the after-action reports from my snarky Illuminati handler whenever I complete a quest. I'm not sure if the game really has a whole lot of longevity, but I've been enjoying it so far while playing it super casually.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm pretty much a hardcore fan of Guild Wars and to a lesser extent Guild Wars 2. Granted these days it pretty much a chore to played GW 2 which I will admit I had become addicted to it in bad way because of their achivement system (you get points for daily rewards like killing enemies or gather material which all accumulate a big reward).

My initial reason for playing an MMO is that I liked the idea of doing stuff together or taking on a big event that no single person can be done alone (also no I don't have many people to do multiplayer with so I'm resort with online strangers).

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:
Solaire of Astora said:
The White Hunter said:

Maybe it's just my personal experience with my group talking there. I play Dragoon so I'm typically not the cause of wipes. Sometimes the tanks in my group have a difficult time adapting to certain situations and the entire group has to wait until they nail it. At times this can take a while, and that leads to frustration.

I don't really remember much about at this point. But I don't think I want to. ;_;
I am our backup tank and am an beast. Our MT is an utter monster though. Does utterly suicidal pulls in everything, day one, comes out unscathed.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
Been playing MMO's since 2002. My list is expansive and I have beta tested almost as many is I have played. My favorites have been Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Path of Exile(more of an ARPG), Marvel Heroes(also an ARPG),Dungeon Runners, Aion, City of Heroes/Villains, Asheron's Call 2, Rift, Vindictus, Warhammer Online. Not all perfect games, but I was able to enjoy them to some degree. I have played many others but didn't get the same level of enjoyment out of them. I'm hoping I'm not forgetting any good ones but I probably am. I have been sticking with ARPG's lately since they aren't as demanding of my time, but if I had a group of friends willing, I would probably dive right into full MMO's again.

Currently I'm enjoying wasting time on Marvel Heroes online. Its a F2P ARPG(like the diablo series) with a very optional item shop that isn't required to invest in to enjoy the game. They don't content lock behind a pay wall or keep features away from a free player. I would recommend it if your a diablo or marvel fan. Just don't expect an incredibly deep MMO experience from it.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Playing Warlords of Draenor right now and really enjoying myself. This is some of the best content Blizzard has put out for WOW since Wrath of the Lich King, no questions about it. Shadowmoon Valley might very well be one of my favourite zones in the game now, it's just so damned beautiful and the quests were a blast to play as well.

Other than WOW however I don't really play MMO's, although not for lack of trying. Guild Wars and GW2 failed to hold my interest for longer than a week or so. The Old Republic was a colossal disappointment in nearly every regard. I don't have nearly the dedication to get into EVE beyond some of the earliest stuff, same story with Planetside 2, and I've tried various smaller MMO as well whose names escape me but none ever lasted very long.

I think maybe it's because I tend to play MMO's pretty casually and WOW is really the only MMO out there I've tried that accommodates that sort of lazy playstyle.

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Well I first started playing Runescape back when it was still in it's younger days. It was fun, if a bit obtuse and clunky.

I remember watching an episode of cheat back when G4Techtv was a thing. It was an episode all about WoW, I thought "well, this looks really cool, I might have to get this!". So, I eventually got the game and played the hell out of it. Had to stop playing vanilla for personal reasons, but I started back up a little after Burning Crusade launched. From then on, I played the game till the first major patch of Pandaria. I love the hell out of the game and it's lore, but I am unsure if I will continue playing.

I played Rift for a short time, but it just seemed like a "poor man's WoW" to me. I also played a couple smaller MMOs, but none really captured me.

Playing EVE Online was interesting for a while, but I did not like the fact that there was so much waiting involved when it comes to leveling skills. Got a bit boring after a while, but maybe that was just because I mostly mined stuff. The combat was a little to clunky for my tastes.

I also played Guild Wars 2 for a while. I thought it was fun, but I never really got to end game and got burned out after a little while. I am unsure why, because there is a lot of cool stuff to find(I really like the jumping puzzles and secret areas!).

The last MMO I started was Wildstar. I loved the hell out of the Beta, so I figured I would buy the final product. I played it for about a month or two, loving almost every moment. Unfortunately I had money problems, so I had to stop playing. I am hoping to play again here soon; it is a game that really deserves a player base. You can just tell that the creators put their heart and soul into the game. Unfortunately, the devs have come on hard times lately, im guessing due to the game not being as successful as they would like(from what I hear, their working conditions weren't exactly optimal either). There is a lot of fun things to find and do in the game, I am really hoping it gets more attention soon.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Solaire of Astora said:

I wouldn't duty find them anyway, DF'ing the Binding Coil is like herding cats, can't imagine Second Coil being any different in that respect.

I enjoy playing the game, I want to be able to progress through content like the coils and EX primals, but lacking a proper static makes this difficult and to be honest, from the list of changes, the Second Coil will still be difficult, but there will be more margin for error and one mistake won't cost an entire raid.

Its mostly just skilled players with proper statics lashing out that they can't sell coil runs anymore, Savage Coil and Final Coil at present, remain entirely untouched, as are most EX Primals, so its not like they have no content to enjoy.
"Stack in 4's on her sides for fireballs"

"whats a fireball"

Cataclysmic facepalms were had. Or healers without swiftcast.