Mobile Minecraft Coming to Xperia Play First

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Mobile Minecraft Coming to Xperia Play First

Mojang's mobile client for Minecraft will appear on Sony's as yet unreleased Xperia Play phone before any other device.

Perhaps the only thing better than spending hours building your masterful castle in Minecraft in the comfort of your own home is to spend time building said castle when you are on the go. Given the fairly simple interface and low processing needs of Minecraft, it makes perfect sense for Markus Perrson to port his wildly popular game to a mobile device. The weird thing is that Mojang has apparently struck a deal with Sony for the client to appear on the untested Xperia Play before the versions it also confirmed it's creating for Apple's iPad and the standard Android OS. Mojang hasn't provided a timetable other than "this year," but the company plans to release early and often, just as it did with Minecraft.

The game will be tweaked to deal with the special considerations of the smartphone. "When playing on smartphones you will have a different screen size compared to PC, different hardware, different attention spans and thus the game needs to be customized to fit the mobile specifications," a representative from Mojang told Gamasutra.

Even with those changes, I'm not so sure that a mobile Minecraft is such a great idea. The only way it could work is if you can do tasks like harvest minerals on the same server that can later log onto at home for more finely tuned controls. It's a risky move, but I suppose it's worth a shot. Releasing on the Xperia Play first is also a gutsy move for Sony, trying to horn in on Minecraft fans that might not have been inclined to buy the new handheld game-phone.

PS. I faked up that picture of Minecraft on the Xperia Play. I have no idea how the interface is really going to work.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34788/Android_Minecraft_Coming_To_Xperia_Play_First.php]

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Depending on the time it stays exclusive this could be the killer app for the xperia to take off..

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Wow. Minecraft is in everything now a days. I wouldn't be shocked to see Minecraft TV.

But what I would like is it for the Xbox. And not that knock-off, whatever it is called.

BigEvilTurtle

May 23, 2011
Now that this has been said, Notch needs to get off his lazy hind end and update the game.

EDIT: I just checked his Tumblr page. Now I feel mean.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
"low processing needs of Minecraft"

actually minecraft takes a pile of resources so the fact this phone/gaming device can run it means it is a pretty beefy item

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
CM156 said:
Wow. Minecraft is in everything now a days. I wouldn't be shocked to see Minecraft TV.

But what I would like is it for the Xbox. And not that knock-off, whatever it is called.
hell i would totally buy it if it got on the xbox but until then the knock off will have to do

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
The Xperia Play is already out here, and having used it a few times I have to say it feels much better than I expected it would. I'm looking to get one in about a month, so maybe this'll push me to finally give Minecraft a go.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Hm...

I play Minecraft.

I have an Xperia X10, and am Interested in trading "up" to an Xperia Play.

This sounds like something I'm interested in. I just have to look up what the deal is with trading in/up phones with my service provider. Hopefully the Xperia version will be completely compatible with the regular version.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
"low processing needs of Minecraft"

actually minecraft takes a pile of resources so the fact this phone/gaming device can run it means it is a pretty beefy item
It does but it shouldn't. With a bit of optimisation a smartphone will be able to run it easily.

OT: Holy shit. Goodbye University! Minecraft on my phone = future unemployment.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
iblis666 said:
CM156 said:

hell i would totally buy it if it got on the xbox but until then the knock off will have to do
You mean the knock off that makes the console churn like a ************, has no visual charm and looks to make a profit off of charging for 'episodes' rather than providing a one time flat rate and future updates for any user?

Anywho, Mojang you mind getting to work on an app for the WP7 OS perchance? I'd like to play the game on my samsung focus. :D

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
JediMB said:
Hm...

I play Minecraft.

I have an Xperia X10, and am Interested in trading "up" to an Xperia Play.

This sounds like something I'm interested in. I just have to look up what the deal is with trading in/up phones with my service provider. Hopefully the Xperia version will be completely compatible with the regular version.
Aaaalso. I <3 my X10. I wonder if I could put the Play Rom onto my X10 and play it that way :D

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Kyogissun said:
iblis666 said:
CM156 said:

You mean the knock off that makes the console churn like a ************, has no visual charm and looks to make a profit off of charging for 'episodes' rather than providing a one time flat rate and future updates for any user?

Anywho, Mojang you mind getting to work on an app for the WP7 OS perchance? I'd like to play the game on my samsung focus. :D
thats the exact one i mean and i will probably buy as many knock offs as get released on xbox since they will all have different things and may go different ways or at least until minecraft is on xbox and that is because my computer can barely run the free version of minecraft

Sanglyon

Apr 3, 2009
How is the Xperia Play "unreleased" and "untested"?
It's been sold for at least one month here, in Europe. And probably in Japan too.

Psychophante

Nov 9, 2009
The Xperia Play is definately already out, in Europe at least. I have one, and it works rather well. Would be cool to play Minecraft on the tube or bus, as long as I can access the same stuff I'm working on at home.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Sanglyon said:
How is the Xperia Play "unreleased" and "untested"?
It's been sold for at least one month here, in Europe. And probably in Japan too.
I don't even know what a Xperia is
OT:come on mojang do I really need more of an addiction to the game

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
I'm yet to jump into the world of Minecraft yet but from its quite obvious popularity this could be a sway for many gamers looking at a new phone. And the Play needs something to sway people into buying it. I work for a smartphone reseller in the UK and the Play has bombed. Sold a few dozen abroad (before the release dates in other countries) and that's. About. It. Gamers don't care for the phone and techies don't really care for the games - YET...