Mod Edit: New forums are live for beta testing! Link in OP (April 3, 2020)

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Dalisclock said:
I lurk in RESETERA to get my forum fix now since there's a lot of activity and some interesting discussions but they have their own issues. And apparently you can't even register if you don't have a "Hard" e-mail address rather then a browser email(GMAIL, etc) so I'm stuck to lurking. Reddit is it's own thing but not bad in a pinch.
If you ever needed a "hard" e-mail, I might be able to provide you one.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yo. I'm still here, I don't post often because I either don't know enough about something to feel I'd add anything to the discussion or just don't want to deal with the discussion in the case of politics most of the time. I spent at least a year signed up for the forum without posting anything so me being an active poster is the abnormality, not the norm.

Maybe they could post forum threads as "articles" for something different from other sites? We have a close knit group of people here that all know each other after all this time so we have very few people that just troll post and everyone else is willing to go into detailed discussions on the subjects with each other which makes it a bit different from Reddit. Sell it as "A moderately intelligent discussion among reasonable people that like video-games" or something?

Marik2 said:
Silentpony said:
Haven't seen Saelune in a spell. She leave or something?
I was hoping she would be here during elections. Shes probably busy fighting off nazis, bigots, and racists.
Their mental health hasn't been the best, if an analysis of mental health from forum posts was possible, so I'm worried that they may have taken their own life given things that were said by them before. I really hope I'm wrong on that.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
Silvanus said:
I remember signing up for that. Asked a few questions about how abuse would be moderated (in a topic specifically asking for suggestions/ commentary on rules & moderation) and ended up getting accused of all manner of unsavoury things.

The place was intensely hostile towards differing viewpoints on moderation. Sanctuary it ain't.
I looked back the other day to see if my account was still around (Doesn't seem to be), and I saw some of the posts about that sort of thing. Needless to say, I agree with you. They were all about "freedom" and such, clearly trying to avoid the level of moderation that this site has. Problem with that is that if you have total "freedom" to post whatever you want and don't have to worry about moderation, it'll be anarchy. But, it seems like the place is so dead that they don't have to worry about that in the least
I had some reservations coming back here since I know the Escapist doesn't exactly look kindly on us. Nevertheless, if it would help, I can clear some things up.

- If you've signed up to Sanctuary, unless you were a spambot, your account has NOT been deleted. If you have forgotten your username, you can find an easy list of members sorted by post count here. [https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?members/&key=most_messages]

- Silvanus did indeed get roasted hard. Something that was not encouraged by me in the slightest. You can look at the start of that here. [https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?threads/what-would-you-like-to-see.46/page-3#post-4009] Having said that, some of us still want him back, believe it or not. Most notably me, Houseman, and Signa. I will also say I used to be in Silvanus' position long ago when I signed up to a forum. I was flamed too. But I persisted. I learned. And through that, I found both a community and an experience that I will never forget. Silvanus did give us a chance in the end and I am thankful for that. I wish though that he would have stuck it out. In the end, I want to leave everyone with the same words I told Silvanus:

I understand that people here are being pretty confrontational perhaps, but don't give up and leave just yet. Try posting a few threads. Questions, cool things, etc. And if you're still not happy with all this, then by all means, leave. I know that I wouldn't have found one of the best forums I'd ever posted in if I didn't stick around after getting flamed for making a, in hindsight, pretty silly thread.

In an environment that encourages free speech, you can and perhaps often, will run into opposition. People will challenge your ideas and preconceived notions freely just as you challenge theirs. They may not do a very good job of it. Hell, it may even be a horrible job. But the point is that it will happen.

Stick with it. I don't think you're used to this kind of environment yet. No one wants to see you go here. Especially not me. Stay with us and you may find this to be the best place to be and to post.
- The rules are the way they are for a VERY good reason. I know it may not seem like it, but way back in ancient history, these rules were endlessly argued over. Ad nauseum. Through the fire and flames, I firmly believe we achieved a ruleset that allows for maximum speech while still keeping actual legit troublemakers out. People seem to have this misconception that we are this lawless place, but this is not at all the case. We are not 4chan. I have gone to great lengths to assure we are not. Nevertheless, we are also not the Escapist or other restrictive forums.

- The site has been inactive for a while. That is definitely true. And it's mostly my fault. I was actually going to get a GMod server going, but that fell through when the host decided to ignore technical issues on the server, and now I need to find another host for GMod. In any case, college has devoured my time like no other. Thankfully though, things are finally calming down now, so I can start getting back into the swing of things. We also have a Jedi Academy server going and have established remote administration for servers on our site.

Sanctuary has problems. I am not blind to them. But even so, what we offer, no other site offers. And I have looked. Oh, I have looked... >_>

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Arnoxthe1 said:
- Silvanus did indeed get roasted hard. Something that was not encouraged by me in the slightest. You can look at the start of that here. [https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?threads/what-would-you-like-to-see.46/page-3#post-4009] Having said that, some of us still want him back, believe it or not. Most notably me, Houseman, and Signa. I will also say I used to be in Silvanus' position long ago when I signed up to a forum. I was flamed too. But I persisted. I learned. And through that, I found both a community and an experience that I will never forget. Silvanus did give us a chance in the end and I am thankful for that. I wish though that he would have stuck it out. In the end, I want to leave everyone with the same words I told Silvanus:

I understand that people here are being pretty confrontational perhaps, but don't give up and leave just yet. Try posting a few threads. Questions, cool things, etc. And if you're still not happy with all this, then by all means, leave. I know that I wouldn't have found one of the best forums I'd ever posted in if I didn't stick around after getting flamed for making a, in hindsight, pretty silly thread.

In an environment that encourages free speech, you can and perhaps often, will run into opposition. People will challenge your ideas and preconceived notions freely just as you challenge theirs. They may not do a very good job of it. Hell, it may even be a horrible job. But the point is that it will happen.

Stick with it. I don't think you're used to this kind of environment yet. No one wants to see you go here. Especially not me. Stay with us and you may find this to be the best place to be and to post.
Is that what you persisted through and learned? Suck it up princess and come back for more punishment? Because all I learned from your quote is that I need to change my Speech to make others happy or I should go. Both are terrible options.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
trunkage said:
Arnoxthe1 said:

Is that what you persisted through and learned? Suck it up princess and come back for more punishment? Because all I learned from your quote is that I need to change my Speech to make others happy or I should go. Both are terrible options.
Nah. Merely to not leave. Just because you have a disagreement with someone or even a group doesn't mean you have to be mortal enemies with them.

Again, I don't agree at all with how hard and fast they came at Silvanus, but it is actually a symptom to a larger problem with the internet as a whole. There are few sites like ours that allow this level of freedom, so when one does finally come around, it is jealously guarded because it is one of the few places left.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I wander in from time to time but I don't know if I'd call myself "Active" considering I post about once every two weeks...

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Dalisclock said:
I lurk in RESETERA to get my forum fix now since there's a lot of activity and some interesting discussions but they have their own issues. And apparently you can't even register if you don't have a "Hard" e-mail address rather then a browser email(GMAIL, etc) so I'm stuck to lurking. Reddit is it's own thing but not bad in a pinch.
Yeah, I thought that was a bit insane. I have to use my work email or school email, which even then requires manual authorization? It has more protections than me filling out a FASFA or doing my tax returns and it's an internet forum.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Specter Von Baren said:
Marik2 said:
Silentpony said:
Haven't seen Saelune in a spell. She leave or something?
I was hoping she would be here during elections. Shes probably busy fighting off nazis, bigots, and racists.
Their mental health hasn't been the best, if an analysis of mental health from forum posts was possible, so I'm worried that they may have taken their own life given things that were said by them before. I really hope I'm wrong on that.
I was worried about that too when she stopped posting, but she logged on in January, a while after she stopped posting so I'm going to be optimistic and just think that she got sick of the site.

bobdark

Legacy
Apr 7, 2008
i'm a lurker, i enjoy reading peoples thoughts on things but generally do not post.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
- If you've signed up to Sanctuary, unless you were a spambot, your account has NOT been deleted.
I looked at your entire user list and I legit don't see me on there. Not a single name is familiar as one I would've used, and even then, I'm fairly sure I would've used a similar name to my Escapist name. So I have no idea what happened, but I'm not on there.

- The rules are the way they are for a VERY good reason. I know it may not seem like it, but way back in ancient history, these rules were endlessly argued over. Ad nauseum. Through the fire and flames, I firmly believe we achieved a ruleset that allows for maximum speech while still keeping actual legit troublemakers out. People seem to have this misconception that we are this lawless place, but this is not at all the case. We are not 4chan. I have gone to great lengths to assure we are not. Nevertheless, we are also not the Escapist or other restrictive forums.
That's the thing... I can applaud what you've made. But I tend to be the type of person who actually likes having rules in place to try and avoid certain types of people or interactions. Cause more often than not, if I'm settling into a community, it's one I wanna be comfortable being around and involved in. Sure, one can have freedom to be able to act almost any way they want and that's a good goal to keep. But I'm not really the person who actually wants to be open to people that take that to a bit of an extreme cause of "freedom" to speak as they please. A prime example is EpicWynn, if anyone remembers him.

Let me put it this way... I have enough shit in life to have to worry about. So when I go online to escape the rest of the world and the crap that goes on there that I have to deal with, I want my online life to be relatively free of further frustrations. And the last thing I really want or need is to have people screeching at me and/or calling me a cock because they don't like what I have to say, and be able to get away with it cause they have the "freedom" to do so. I don't mind having my opinions challenged, mind you. It's just how the approach to it is handled, which is why I appreciate what the Escapist does with its rules. It helps tune the approach.

So again, I do applaud what you've managed to create. It just doesn't sound like it's for me, unfortunately

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
- If you've signed up to Sanctuary, unless you were a spambot, your account has NOT been deleted.
I looked at your entire user list and I legit don't see me on there. Not a single name is familiar as one I would've used, and even then, I'm fairly sure I would've used a similar name to my Escapist name. So I have no idea what happened, but I'm not on there.

That's the thing... I can applaud what you've made. But I tend to be the type of person who actually likes having rules in place to try and avoid certain types of people or interactions. Cause more often than not, if I'm settling into a community, it's one I wanna be comfortable being around and involved in. Sure, one can have freedom to be able to act almost any way they want and that's a good goal to keep. But I'm not really the person who actually wants to be open to people that take that to a bit of an extreme cause of "freedom" to speak as they please. A prime example is EpicWynn, if anyone remembers him.

Let me put it this way... I have enough shit in life to have to worry about. So when I go online to escape the rest of the world and the crap that goes on there that I have to deal with, I want my online life to be relatively free of further frustrations. And the last thing I really want or need is to have people screeching at me and/or calling me a cock because they don't like what I have to say, and be able to get away with it cause they have the "freedom" to do so. I don't mind having my opinions challenged, mind you. It's just how the approach to it is handled, which is why I appreciate what the Escapist does with its rules. It helps tune the approach.

So again, I do applaud what you've managed to create. It just doesn't sound like it's for me, unfortunately
Fair enough. I'll just say this though. Between someone being constantly passive-aggressive and someone just calling me an asshole, I'd personally rather have the latter, if that makes any sense. You're never really going to escape confrontation of some kind on a big enough site. The only thing left to decide then is what form do you want it in? And finally, despite all the rules here, EpycWin still came here. Still posted. *shrugs*

Also, I would say that the community usually tends to regulate itself when given such freedom. People who constantly and mindlessly cuss others out are heavily looked down on or made fun of.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
If people want free speech internet, then start using Gab and decentralized social media.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Fair enough. I'll just say this though. Between someone being constantly passive-aggressive and someone just calling me an asshole, I'd personally rather have the latter, if that makes any sense. You're never really going to escape confrontation of some kind on a big enough site. The only thing left to decide then is what form do you want it in? Also, I would say that the community usually tends to regulate itself when given such freedom. People who constantly and mindlessly cuss others out are heavily looked down on or made fun of.
Also fair. I guess it's just how I've been used to certain things when it comes to how I spend my time online. Now, if Sanctuary had a bit more of a booming community, I feel it'd probably be worth looking into again. But I already am in several nearly dead communities right now, one of them being my own, and I keep bordering on the edge of closing it down and cutting my losses at this point. So I'm not sure if I'm down for adding another, ya know? I hope it picks up though. And if it doesn't... I hope it's a place you enjoy enough to wanna support for a long time.

And finally, despite all the rules here, EpycWin still came here. Still posted. *shrugs*
Yes, and he was an absolutely insufferable shit lord that pissed many people off, ruined their fun, and broke the site to the point the mods had to make rules specifically to make sure he didn't do it again or get banned. Someone who pushed the boundary of "But I'm not doing anything wrong, your rules say so right there!" so many times that he got far more chances than he deserved. He was a prime example of why I think rules deserve their place in any community, and is exactly why I fear places that try to be too hands off with the moderation of their people.

If you've signed up to Sanctuary, unless you were a spambot, your account has NOT been deleted.
Seriously though, any idea what happened here regarding my account? o3o

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Elvis Starburst said:
A prime example is EpicWynn, if anyone remembers him.
Ah right, Epyc Wynn.

He was obnoxious, yeah. But it at least injected some energy into the forums.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Drathnoxis said:
And I'm sure taking loads of LSD and snorting mountains of cocaine would bring energy into my life, doesn't mean it's a good thing to have around and be involved with

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Marik2 said:
If people want free speech internet, then start using Gab and decentralized social media.
That's not really the same thing as a forum though.

Elvis Starburst said:
Also fair. I guess it's just how I've been used to certain things when it comes to how I spend my time online. Now, if Sanctuary had a bit more of a booming community, I feel it'd probably be worth looking into again. But I already am in several nearly dead communities right now, one of them being my own, and I keep bordering on the edge of closing it down and cutting my losses at this point. So I'm not sure if I'm down for adding another, ya know? I hope it picks up though. And if it doesn't... I hope it's a place you enjoy enough to wanna support for a long time.
Thank you! I do appreciate it. And yeah, Sanctuary's biggest problem by far is and has always been its activity. And it's not like I don't have ideas to solve it. Right now though, it's just time. Time is pure gold for me right now while this college semester is going. Once summer hits and beyond, it'll loosen up a LOT more, but until the middle of April...

Yes, and he was an absolutely insufferable shit lord that pissed many people off, ruined their fun, and broke the site to the point the mods had to make rules specifically to make sure he didn't do it again or get banned. Someone who pushed the boundary of "But I'm not doing anything wrong, your rules say so right there!" so many times that he got far more chances than he deserved. He was a prime example of why I think rules deserve their place in any community, and is exactly why I fear places that try to be too hands off with the moderation of their people.
Out of curiosity, what EXACTLY don't you agree with for our rules? Here's a link [https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?pages/rules/] to them.

Seriously though, any idea what happened here regarding my account? o3o

I've looked further, even using my special admin magic, and honestly, I can't find any record of you ever having an account on our site. If you'd like though, you can shoot me an email via PM that you think you might have used to sign up for an account. That's honestly a much better way to find you. If all else fails, I'll just make one for ya' in 5 seconds.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Out of curiosity, what EXACTLY don't you agree with for our rules?
Looking at them now? Honestly, not much. I don't think they were as fleshed out the last time I was there. Looking at them now, they are pretty solid.

I've looked further, even using my special admin magic, and honestly, I can't find any record of you ever having an account on our site. If you'd like though, you can shoot me an email via PM that you think you might have used to sign up for an account. That's honestly a much better way to find you. If all else fails, I'll just make one for ya' in 5 seconds.
Naaahhh, I'm good~ I appreciate it though. I was mostly curious about what happened is all more than anything. But since I'm not even on your userlist, I have reasonable suspicion that something just... happened and I went poof somehow

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Need an option for "I don't visit the site".

Others either repost articles and discuss them elsewhere or they link threads from here.
Aside from that I don't come here. This place has loads of issues. Never had a problem with the users/mods though.

Elvis Starburst said:
Drathnoxis said:
And I'm sure taking loads of LSD and snorting mountains of cocaine would bring energy into my life, doesn't mean it's a good thing to have around and be involved with
Well not with that attitude

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Drathnoxis said:
Elvis Starburst said:
A prime example is EpicWynn, if anyone remembers him.
Ah right, Epyc Wynn.

Having a tooth pulled without anesthetic grants one feeling.

It is not feeling one wishes to have.