Mod Edit: New forums are live for beta testing! Link in OP (April 3, 2020)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
All this talk of old users long gone made me remember some names, other than the ones already mentioend. Daystar Clarion, Jack & Calumon, and so on.

Oh, and of course J.e.f.f.e.r.s? Now that lad sure loved Nintendo. If he were still around and saw Yoshi's fanboy game, I bet he'd be all:

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
You know, the worst part is you never know what happens to someone when they leave. Are they happy? Healthy? What are they doing now instead of posting on the Escapist. Looking through old threads I see dozens of people I recognize and used to enjoy reading posts from, but they all might as well be dead to me because they haven't logged on in years and I'll probably never see anything they write ever again. :/
I've seen this before.

Sanctuary completely aside, you guys need to move on. There are many other forums with a fair amount of activity, and while they may not be the exact same as the Escapist, it's time to say goodbye and move on to new experiences, new communities, and new content. Blaze the trail, so to speak. Make your own forum even. It's dead easy to do, and I can give help in that regard, should people desire.

Way back when a site nobody cares about anymore called TOTSE shut down, we were devastated. Though we regrouped many times, much of the community kept wanting to go back to the "good old days", but all this persuing of the past meant stagnation and, ironically, chaos for the future. So many people had an idea of what TOTSE was and should be, but most of them conflicted. At the end of the day, nobody would just sit down and enjoy the sites that we regrouped at. The result of this was a slow and painful disintegration of a once insanely colossal community that's now only talked about by old people like me.

Move on from the past. Look forward to the future. Do what you have to do.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Drathnoxis said:
You know, the worst part is you never know what happens to someone when they leave. Are they happy? Healthy? What are they doing now instead of posting on the Escapist. Looking through old threads I see dozens of people I recognize and used to enjoy reading posts from, but they all might as well be dead to me because they haven't logged on in years and I'll probably never see anything they write ever again. :/
I've seen this before.

Sanctuary completely aside, you guys need to move on. There are many other forums with a fair amount of activity, and while they may not be the exact same as the Escapist, it's time to say goodbye and move on to new experiences, new communities, and new content. Blaze the trail, so to speak. Make your own forum even. It's dead easy to do, and I can give help in that regard, should people desire.

Way back when a site nobody cares about anymore called TOTSE shut down, we were devastated. Though we regrouped many times, much of the community kept wanting to go back to the "good old days", but all this persuing of the past meant stagnation and, ironically, chaos for the future. So many people had an idea of what TOTSE was and should be, but most of them conflicted. At the end of the day, nobody would just sit down and enjoy the sites that we regrouped at. The result of this was a slow and painful disintegration of a once insanely colossal community that's now only talked about by old people like me.

Move on from the past. Look forward to the future. Do what you have to do.
What forums though become the question. RPGCodex and ResetEra have absurd levels of entry, Something Awful costs money, what more does that leave? Neogaf? Maybe RPS or another a forum on another news site? I think Ertheking mentioned something called Space Battles, but I'm not even sure what that is. I've looked at several and none seem to have what the Escapist had and if one exists, I can't find it.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Elfgore said:
What forums though become the question. RPGCodex and ResetEra have absurd levels of entry, Something Awful costs money, what more does that leave? Neogaf? Maybe RPS or another a forum on another news site? I think Ertheking mentioned something called Space Battles, but I'm not even sure what that is. I've looked at several and none seem to have what the Escapist had and if one exists, I can't find it.
Alright, but what exactly are you looking for (besides badges) that only the Escapist forum has? You may have to go deeper than surface level to find a community you'd fit into. It's also easier for you guys as well since I'm sure most of you, of course, don't care about strict rules.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
Most of them are on discord. Or they are on steam. Just ask around for an invite.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
bluegate said:
Red Sentinel said:
He also completely took over the Wild West. And yes I know, there were no rules in the Wild West. But there was kinda an unspoken rule where you don't fill several pages of the board with nothing but duplicate threads consisting of only his stupid dumb "memes".
I remember opening that board one day, and every thread was "EpycWynn" all the way down the page, with nothing else - from anyone else - to be seen. He'd basically become a human spambot.
Now you're confusing Wynn with Marik2 who copied "the entire" forum games content to the West 😜
I did that cuz someone mentioned on the forum that it wouldn't be against the rules to copy paste threads into the wild west.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
SupahEwok said:
Hippo's doing fine. We chat on Discord.
Do you talk to anybody else from WW? Just the other day I was thinking about Bobular's Daily Daycast. Times are tough without our daily predictions about what day of the week will come tomorrow.
Fat Hippo said:
Saelune said:
Look at everybody coming out of the woodwork here. Good to see you two are still alive!

Elfgore said:
That's the thing. I've never got a good answer as to where we could go that isn't similarly hovering on the edge of nonexistence.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:
Do you talk to anybody else from WW? Just the other day I was thinking about Bobular's Daily Daycast. Times are tough without our daily predictions about what day of the week will come tomorrow.
They made a discord together around the time the wild west was made. I thought everyone knew that.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Marik2 said:
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:
They made a discord together around the time the wild west was made. I thought everyone knew that.
I knew that, but that was a long time ago now. I'm curious who still goes and how they're doing.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Drathnoxis said:
Marik2 said:
Drathnoxis said:
SupahEwok said:
I knew that, but that was a long time ago now. I'm curious who still goes and how they're doing.
I think you're still in that Discord channel.

I'm actually out of it at the moment, took a break cuz I have a lot of stuff going on in my life. But when I've accepted a job offer and put in the paperwork to withdraw from grad school, I'll go back in. As of a month ago, Fat Hippo, Dirty Cop James Funs, Neuromancer, RundownRabbit, CrimsonPho5nix (or however he spells it on here), Tippy2k2, LostGryphon, Fox12, Sigismund (although I don't remember if that was his username on here), Silence, MidnightNova, Vallorn, DoomGuy, and PointlessKnowledge are all active to semi-active. Me, Crimson, and Tippy are the only ones who bother checking into here (and I mainly do it when I just want to waste 10 minutes). Armadox, DudeistBelieve, and Bobular are all still a part of the chat, but they don't come online cuz of life circumstances (it's been 2 years I think since I heard anything from Bobular). Anybody else in there either has barely been a part of the chat, came from sources besides the Escapist, or I've forgotten about them at the moment.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Marik2 said:
What are your views on the election so far?
Oh god could we please just not for this particular thread and keep it in Current Events please? The moment politics enter the game the thread derails and it's game over

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Haven't been posting too often but still here, watching the nuttery. Life can keep us away, but we're still here. Somewhere.
SupahEwok said:
I'm active in there! Kinda! Look I'm busy with RPGs i check in when I can.

Fat Hippo said:
ARE YOU SURE
Saelune said:
Holy balls I was worried somethin happened. Good you're still with us.

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Elfgore said:
Alright, but what exactly are you looking for (besides badges) that only the Escapist forum has? You may have to go deeper than surface level to find a community you'd fit into. It's also easier for you guys as well since I'm sure most of you, of course, don't care about strict rules.
Well that's where the problem comes in... it's very specific. I like medium to kinda larged sized forums, with user groups. Literally just take the Escapist back to 2013-2015 and you got what what I'm looking for. Finding that seems to be almost impossible, it's either dead or just exploding with people.

Drathnoxis said:
Elfgore said:
That's the thing. I've never got a good answer as to where we could go that isn't similarly hovering on the edge of nonexistence.
Or you get one where so much content is posted that stuff isn't even on the front page for thirty minutes and threads have hundred of comments. That doesn't feel like a community to me, it feels like Reddit. Where I just spout my piece and hope someone reads and responds to have a discussion. I ain't got time to browse through all that.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Marik2 said:
What are your views on the election so far?
Was for Warren, now for Bernie. Will vote for Biden if I have to. I am confident anyone can get more votes than Trump, not confident if that will matter. Still hate 'Bernie or Bust' people.

Leg End said:
Holy balls I was worried somethin happened. Good you're still with us.
I do not think your concern is sincere. If you really care about my well being, you will vote Democrat. I do not think you will.

Anyways, the real reason I stopped showing up here, if anyone cares, is cause usually it runs so slow and I worry I am going to get a million viruses. It seems that once again hollow promises were made. The whole point of my 'Keep us updated' suggestion was so when they bail, we can know. It has been months since they posted one.

I still complain about all the Nazis, so Silentpony can rest easy there.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
SupahEwok said:
I think you're still in that Discord channel.

I'm actually out of it at the moment, took a break cuz I have a lot of stuff going on in my life. But when I've accepted a job offer and put in the paperwork to withdraw from grad school, I'll go back in. As of a month ago, Fat Hippo, Dirty Cop James Funs, Neuromancer, RundownRabbit, CrimsonPho5nix (or however he spells it on here), Tippy2k2, LostGryphon, Fox12, Sigismund (although I don't remember if that was his username on here), Silence, MidnightNova, Vallorn, DoomGuy, and PointlessKnowledge are all active to semi-active. Me, Crimson, and Tippy are the only ones who bother checking into here (and I mainly do it when I just want to waste 10 minutes). Armadox, DudeistBelieve, and Bobular are all still a part of the chat, but they don't come online cuz of life circumstances (it's been 2 years I think since I heard anything from Bobular). Anybody else in there either has barely been a part of the chat, came from sources besides the Escapist, or I've forgotten about them at the moment.
Oh right, I did go on there one time, didn't I. That was the only time I've ever used Discord.

Huh, I didn't know Tippy was a part of that group. Silence, and MidnightNova aren't familiar names to me. Guillion, left too then? I remember he had himself deleted from the Escapist a couple years ago.

Anyway, good to know most of them are still around.
Elfgore said:
Or you get one where so much content is posted that stuff isn't even on the front page for thirty minutes and threads have hundred of comments. That doesn't feel like a community to me, it feels like Reddit. Where I just spout my piece and hope someone reads and responds to have a discussion. I ain't got time to browse through all that.
Well that's kind of how the Escapist was back in it's heyday. What sites are those anyway? Gaming sites?

Elfgore

Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
Elfgore said:
Well that's kind of how the Escapist was back in it's heyday. What sites are those anyway? Gaming sites?
I've mostly seen this on sites like ResetEra or RPGCodex. 1 AM EST and the oldest posts on the front page are only thirty minutes old.