Mod Edit: New forums are live for beta testing! Link in OP (April 3, 2020)

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Dirty Cop James funs said:
Marik2 said:
Elfgore said:
Marik2 said:
This site has been a glorified user group for about 5 years now.
It's almost to the point anyone who posts anymore knows everyone else since there is like forty of us.
There's like less than 20 now. It was like 30-35 when the wild west was alive. Like it or not, lots of people left or got banned when it closed.
I miss Wild West. Good times.
Your discord was supposed to be wild west 2.0.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Marik2 said:
Marik2 said:
Elfgore said:
Marik2 said:
This site has been a glorified user group for about 5 years now.
It's almost to the point anyone who posts anymore knows everyone else since there is like forty of us.
There's like less than 20 now. It was like 30-35 when the wild west was alive. Like it or not, lots of people left or got banned when it closed.
I miss Wild West. Good times.
Your discord was supposed to be wild west 2.0.
It kinda is and it kinda isn't, irrc the main reason I made it was to be a "life boat" in case the escapist sank for good. That didn't happen per se and by then my server somewhat became its own thing independent of Wild West.

There's really no way to recreate the Wild West spark because forums have become an increasingly niche and rare thing in the modern internet, so a phenomena like WW will never happen on a site wide scale due to centralisation of the web.

I do really wish for a sudden and inexplicable forum boom, mainly because I really like forums and partially because I want sites like twitter to burn in Hell.
Twitter got stupid with using the guillotine on every little thing. Rule of the mob.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I never really had much of a problem with the mods or moderation. There were like 3 bad apples who got away with it, but the mods in general were semi decent. Most of you guys have a grudge against the bad mods and hold a grudge to the other mods for it. If you truly want to see horrible modding, go to neogaf.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Martintox said:
SupahEwok said:
Is that cuz when Frappe destroyed his account, it took out all the games he started?
SirBryghtside did that too, now he's gone forever and he took the sanctity of his old RPs with him :(

RIP BRYGHTSIDE 1909-2016
A lot of people did that, actually. Including a couple who actually went and edited every post they made and replaced the text with a generic message about removing their words from the site. All that makes reading old threads kind of annoying sometimes, especially when it hasn't been archived on Wayback Machine.

Also losing all the threads in WW and R&P is kind of annoying too. Especially since there was no way to archive the WW threads since it was behind a login so Wayback Machine couldn't access it. There was an anime recommendation thread I made there that I would really like to be able to see again, because there were a couple recommendation I want to check out, but I don't know the titles of.

Nah, but that made things worse.

The escapist had this odd feature where it deletes old threads. People didn't like it so it was removed, but not before the damage was done.
As I remember it, they didn't delete threads but auto-locked them after 3 months of inactivity.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Drathnoxis said:
A lot of people did that, actually. Including a couple who actually went and edited every post they made and replaced the text with a generic message about removing their words from the site. All that makes reading old threads kind of annoying sometimes, especially when it hasn't been archived on Wayback Machine.
Unless you have the good fortune of seeing something quoted, which kinda renders the whole editing posts a bit pointless 'cos most people who were noteworthy who would want to remove their 'contributions' to the site probably got quoted to hell and back.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Can someone explain to me what happened to quote notification? Could have sworn I never turned mine off
One of those things that is mostly broken, but occasionally briefly remembers to work and tells me I've got like 500 quotes. At least for me.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I'm still here. Got nowhere else to go. I'll probably be here until they turn the lights off.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Can someone explain to me what happened to quote notification? Could have sworn I never turned mine off
I'm pretty sure its been broken for about 2yrs

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm here, too lazy to really go somewhere else.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
There are more than 5 and less than a billion.
Fact.

//Dunno why I post here.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It used to turn itself off once a week for around 6 months or something. Now it stays on, but it doesn't turn yellow when you get a quote.

Martintox said:
Oh yeah, I do remember a few users who had posts that simply read "I have deleted all my messages" or something like that. You can actually still access the WW threads, but only the ones you have posted in, and futhermore it seems they have all been "moved" to Off-Topic, so archiving it that way is dubious at best. But at least the thread where we shilled our shitpost novel is still here. [https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1045890-America-Le-Buk#24215448]
Wait, what? Is that really true? If so how do you access them? Because I don't have any threads from the WW in my posting history, listed as being from OT or otherwise.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Man, so many faces here I thought were gone forever. So many avatars I've recognized for years. I know that it doesn't feel worth posting all that much at the moment, but... if we all were half as active as we are in this thread the site would liven up a fair bit

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
I feel a sense of nostalgia when I look at the profiles of people I loved to see comments form and they haven't been on in like 3 years

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wintermute said:
Moviebob is keeping the site alive.
You misspelled Yahtzee. Moviebob can't even keep his own Youtube channel alive, much less an actual site. Hell he was gone for years and the Escapist did just fine

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Silentpony said:
Wintermute said:
You misspelled Yahtzee. Moviebob can't even keep his own Youtube channel alive, much less an actual site. Hell he was gone for years and the Escapist did just fine
"Just fine."

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
Silentpony said:
Wintermute said:
"Just fine."

Honestly Ill take less users and less posts over the Wild West and being known as Diet 4chan any day. Yeah there's less people, but also for a time most of the forum traffic was memers, reposters, trolls and shit posters just trying to get screen captures for Reddit karma.
Say what you will about the WW, it was shit, garbage, pathetic, desperate, money-grabbing and stupid and no-one misses it that can't find the same shitposting basically anywhere else.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
bluegate said:
Silentpony said:
Drathnoxis said:
Silentpony said:
Wintermute said:
"Just fine."

Honestly Ill take less users and less posts over the Wild West and being known as Diet 4chan any day. Yeah there's less people, but also for a time most of the forum traffic was memers, reposters, trolls and shit posters just trying to get screen captures for Reddit karma.
Say what you will about the WW, it was shit, garbage, pathetic, desperate, money-grabbing and stupid and no-one misses it that can't find the same shitposting basically anywhere else.
Cute, by the way, fuck you for using auto play videos.

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/707.1057784-Canadian-Oil-Company-Facing-Backlash-Over-Disturbing-Greta-Thunberg-Poster?page=2
Honestly, I thought they disabled those after we went a little nuts with them in the WW.

Edit:
Silentpony said:
All of this ass hurt from a completely closed off subforum. We should have weaponized it when we had the chance and made millions from the CIA in supplying means for experimental psychological warfare.