Modded 360s Flood Craigslist After Mass Banning

targren

May 13, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
However, an official statement from Microsoft suggests that buyers should be extra-cautious, even if they know that the console they're buying is one of the banned, modded units - the warranty won't cover the new console should it come down with a bad case of the RRoD: "If you purchase a modified console second-hand, the warranty is not transferable and the purchaser assumes the risk for any previous modifications ... If you purchase a console that has been previously banned, you will not be able to connect to (Xbox) Live."
There's a shocker. MS says "Don't buy secondhand consoles! We won't get any money from those sales! And we won't get any money from you for Live! either! OMG Secondhand Consoles are t3h Baed!!!"

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
Statistics? Oh wait, you have none. You also seem to think the 100,000 (1 out of 10) people who legitimately chip their 360s who've been kicked for no good reason don't matter. You can argue the technical legality sure, but they're most certainly not "Little Bastards". That's stupid, unfair and offensive.
ok let me explain this in simple terms ALL chipping is ILLEGAL

so 100% of those people are breaking a the law, it's not a technical thing, it's a very black and white issue that's been tested in court. people who install chips get arrested and charged and sometimes serve jail time. this isn't up for debate

whether you want to claim it's not wrong, it is no matter what you say or want to claim. so yes they deserved what they got and they were stupid for even trying. they can claim what ever they wanted but they did something that's overly illegal and has been tested multiple times in court and have always come out that modding is illegal

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
cleverlymadeup said:
vivaldiscool said:
Statistics? Oh wait, you have none. You also seem to think the 100,000 (1 out of 10) people who legitimately chip their 360s who've been kicked for no good reason don't matter. You can argue the technical legality sure, but they're most certainly not "Little Bastards". That's stupid, unfair and offensive.
ok let me explain this in simple terms ALL chipping is ILLEGAL

so 100% of those people are breaking a the law, it's not a technical thing, it's a very black and white issue that's been tested in court.
vivaldiscool said:
You can argue the technical legality sure, but they're most certainly not "Little Bastards".
"Little bastards" is not a legal term, it is a personal slur on a moral matter. Of course it's illegal, but chipping a 360 to play a favorite game that was only released in Europe or Japan, legality or wisdom completely notwithstanding, does not make one a fucking "little bastard". And it's pompous self-righteous tarts who try to turn a legal matter into a stupid black and white moral issue: not even through a reasoned debate, but rather through a juvenile, horrible slur in a profession publication.

I'm not defending or promoting console chipping, I'm calling out how absolutely horridly inexcusable it is to jam this sort of cocky unfounded insults in a paid, professional news publication.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
There is no region-free for XBOX360s and also no homebrew, the only way and the only reason to mod an XBOX is to play game copies.

Also, why is no one mentioning the fact that you can't install games on banned consoles? Or get achievemnts, for that matter (any achievements gotten while offline on a banned console will be gone as soon as the same profile is connected to Live on any other console)?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
Glefistus said:
cleverlymadeup said:
Glefistus said:
"a few of the bastards"

Wow, way to blindly attack modders. Godforbid someone mods an Xbox to play homebrew or games from oversees.
yes but even doing stuff like that is still illegal, in the states you can even go to jail for it. it's called the DMCA and makes modding anything potentially illegal. claim what you want but no matter what both pirates and "legit" modders are doing something illegal

i will make one note and that is i'm glad Funk cropped the screenshot a bit as we're all familiar with his browsing habits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.153930] :)
It is one of those legalities that hurt more people than they should, an anti-piracy method gone too far.
not really as much as the "homebrew" crowd likes to say "oh i got the chip for this reason" 9 times out of 10 they got it so they can pirate games and for no other reason, also the fact that with those chips you can pirate means it's still highly illegal, even if you don't use it
*coffeespit* Hang on, what?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I thought any console pirate either stays off LIVE or has two separate consoles, one for pirated single-player and one legit for online play. I guess the number of morons is larger than I anticipated...

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Jandau said:
I thought any console pirate either stays off LIVE or has two separate consoles, one for pirated single-player and one legit for online play. I guess the number of morons is larger than I anticipated...
Why? Those modders that used their console for live can just go buy another console now and effectively do what you just said.

They've lost nothing in relation to your suggestion there.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
"Little bastards" is not a legal term, it is a personal slur on a moral matter. Of course it's illegal, but chipping a 360 to play a favorite game that was only released in Europe or Japan, legality or wisdom completely notwithstanding, does not make one a fucking "little bastard". And it's pompous self-righteous tarts who try to turn a legal matter into a stupid black and white moral issue: not even through a reasoned debate, but rather through a juvenile, horrible slur in a profession publication.

I'm not defending or promoting console chipping, I'm calling out how absolutely horridly inexcusable it is to jam this sort of cocky unfounded insults in a paid, professional news publication.
this is NOT a moral matter, this is a plain black and white legal matter. there is no grey area here, it IS illegal and it's been tested in court many times and the law has held up. please don't try and say it's moral or anything because it's not, it's illegal

as for the term "bastards" that he used and NOT "little bastards", it actually is a very appropriate term in this case. maybe you should go look up the definition of the word before spouting off on some moral outrage

Amnestic said:
*coffeespit* Hang on, what?
yes putting those chips in no matter what you use them for is illegal, it's our friend the DMCA at work

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Picked up one of these Craigslist 360's last night for $100 - it was a replacement console for the seller's other 360 that had RRoD'd three weeks before. The kid had just modded it, so it's brand-spanking new and runs great.

Thing is, it came with a pirated copy of MW2 (which I haven't played, don't have interest in playing at this point, etc). This makes me think - almost all the ones on Craigslist had MW2 listed with them. Anyone else think the ban was just a bunch of people playing it online in advance? (Or playing single-player campaign, getting achievements, and getting banned after it synced to their XBL account?)

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I suppose you could buy a modded a console to play pirated games while keeping your other 360 for online.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
it's an international phenomena. it's looked at the our local paper and the number of X360 on sale used tripled in a week. and a lot of these mentioned : "not good for online gaming"

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
mmmmmmm 1 million banned? I wonder what's worse. Banning 1 million people or getting banned till the next millennium!!!!!!! o_O

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Considering I've never bought an honest game in my life(well actually I bought 3 or 4 originals and several dozen other which turned out to be pirated) this is the chance to get my very own cheep pirated 360 console :D

In my defence I'm a pirate because of the evil marketing system: 58% of the games here are sold as originals but are actually pirated copies; the rest are sold at extremely high prices(almost as high as those in Australia).

From 1989 to 2002 all the games were pirated but sold as originals so from the year 2000 I decided that if I could only get the illegal stuff why not get it for free? I would be an hones person but when the game costs 1/10 of my fathers salary it's not worth it

falcontwin

Aug 10, 2008
Terramax said:
Think about it, Xbox live is £39.99 (not sure what the US equivalent is). imagine if even half of them don't rebuy an 360, stop paying for XLive. That's £19,995,000 revenue they're missing out on, right?
Right, So they lose 20 million from live subsriptions? how many games do you think people with modded consoles actually buy (none is the answer) they download them which means the company doesn't even get the rental revenue. Now If someone with a chipped console downloads 1 (one) game per month. 12 * (Approx) 50 pounds per game * 1000000 consoles = 600,000,000 (30 times what you claim they are losing from live subscriptions). And considering most pirates would realistically have multiple of games per month I dont think they are crying from lost live revenue. Not allowing peole to steal is not a bad thing.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
falcontwin said:
Right, So they lose 20 million from live subsriptions? how many games do you think people with modded consoles actually buy (none is the answer) they download them which means the company doesn't even get the rental revenue. Now If someone with a chipped console downloads 1 (one) game per month. 12 * (Approx) 50 pounds per game * 1000000 consoles = 600,000,000 (30 times what you claim they are losing from live subscriptions). And considering most pirates would realistically have multiple of games per month I dont think they are crying from lost live revenue. Not allowing peole to steal is not a bad thing.
good points. But aren't you simply assuming all the modded 360s are pirates and thieves? Also, how would disallowing them to play XLive stop them from playing pirate games? The clever thing would be to buy a 2nd 360, so you have one for modded games you'd play offline and one for playing online? These are genuine Qs by the way as I've very little knowledge in the matter.

shadowbird

Feb 22, 2007
falcontwin said:
how many games do you think people with modded consoles actually buy (none is the answer)
Lies. I buy every single game that I find enjoyable enough to keep and wish to support the developers, however I almost never buy any game unless I've had a chance to play it for free first.