Modding single player Mass Effect 3 bans you from Origin

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Well, as long as we aren't slamming anyone out of order...
Carry on with your contempt for humanity. ^_^
Honestly, it just gets frustrating when people clearly feel the need to chime in without reading anything other than the OP, and not even bothering to click on the link before they rush to the end to scribble down some rage-induced rant.

I've seen this exact pattern repeated over and over again when someone makes an off-the-cuff remark in an official capacity (an inherently contradictory one in this instance, actually), and people just explode for days until a clarification is made... and then people who can't be bothered to stay current continue to explode with rage.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Raesvelg said:
Honestly, it just gets frustrating when people clearly feel the need to chime in without reading anything other than the OP, and not even bothering to click on the link before they rush to the end to scribble down some rage-induced rant.

I've seen this exact pattern repeated over and over again when someone makes an off-the-cuff remark in an official capacity (an inherently contradictory one in this instance, actually), and people just explode for days until a clarification is made... and then people who can't be bothered to stay current continue to explode with rage.
Oh, I know that frustration all too well.

Within this very topic (some 4 pages or something back), I explained the logic behind contract law and its intent rather explicitly...only to have the same incorrect claims and ignorant statements about it pop up again.

The frustration of futility is not wasted on me. But hey, I don't hate humanity for it. I just hate the stupidity. And hard as it is to believe in the moment, there is more to people than just collective idiocy.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Well, I sure most gamers would find a way to continue to play if they get banned. If you know what I mean.

Hopefully it won't happen to me, but contingency plans are always good.

Mar 15, 2012
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Kahunaburger said:
I'm curious as to where the jump from "EA will ban you if they catch you modding Mass Effect" to "you shouldn't mod Mass Effect" comes from. I'd be more inclined to say "you should try not to get caught."
I going to be honest here, I have no idea what point you're trying to make.

EA will ban you if they catch you modding Mass Effect 3 - this has been the case before I even discovered this thread, it was established by BioWare, not me.

You shouldn't mod Mass Effect 3 - I said this at the very start, so I don't know how you think I jumped to it.

Also, you'd rather argue with someone has an opinion instead of the people who actually created the problem?
Because EA isn't an earthquake or a Bear. It's not some kind of uncontrolled natural phenomena, it's a company made up of people. Thus we can assign moral character to it's actions and assess them with adjectives like "good" or "bad".

Okay so EA will ban you for modding their games. Fine. The question is should they?

Vuliev

Jul 19, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
This is a unacceptable. They couldn't even be arsed to make the FOV in PC version tolerable. We have to mod the game in order to play it without getting sick, and they wanna ban us for it. They fucked up PC version. Is it really that hard to make a FOV slider and add in some graphics options and a holster button? They made the fuckin' game they can add that stuff in less than 5 minutes.
Okay, I have to ask: what exactly does changing the FOV do? I haven't had any problems with it in any of the Mass Effects, but seeing everyone complain about it makes me curious.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Vuliev said:
Adam Jensen said:
This is a unacceptable. They couldn't even be arsed to make the FOV in PC version tolerable. We have to mod the game in order to play it without getting sick, and they wanna ban us for it. They fucked up PC version. Is it really that hard to make a FOV slider and add in some graphics options and a holster button? They made the fuckin' game they can add that stuff in less than 5 minutes.
Okay, I have to ask: what exactly does changing the FOV do? I haven't had any problems with it in any of the Mass Effects, but seeing everyone complain about it makes me curious.
It makes more of your surroundings viewable I think, like increases the range of stuff you can see.

When you're playing a Krogan in multiplayer for instance, he takes up like...half the screen. This can be rubbish. If we could increase the FoV we could see more than a Korgan's back taking up half the screen.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Vuliev said:
Adam Jensen said:
In short, as the post above mine explains it has to do with how much you can see. If it is wrong in a video game some people get sick or get headaches when playing it.

Found these, they explains field of view and explains how people can get sick when a wrong field of view is used. Fairly interesting, explains it quite well.

Nathaniel Kitt

Apr 23, 2012
The only thing I am against is modding for multiplayer games, even co op modes that have a scoring system. I take the ME3 co op somewhat seriously (bastards taking my fucking kills). But when it comes to physical modding, it should be okay. At the same time, I think that the whole achievement/trophy system kinda makes modding shady because people can cheat to get the rewards they don't deserve. I wish there was a way to at least turn these rewards off when you activate a mod or something.

ScaryAlmond

Sep 12, 2011
Just found this link its good because it clarifies that we can mod
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/344/index/9917845/1

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Aerosteam 1908 said:
Kahunaburger said:
Why shouldn't people be modding? What ethical rule does it breach to set your FOV, fix bugs, or add content to a single-player game?
Why don't you ask BioWare that question?
There's no need to ask BioWare, or EA for that matter as I'm certain that this is an EA thing. The bottom line here is that...

YOU CANNOT GET THE BEST ENDING WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER...

OR MODDING.

EA wants you to play multiplayer because that puts you one step closer to paying real money for extra ammo or whatever the fuck it is they're selling via multiplayer microtransactions. I wouldn't know because I won't play the multiplayer.

Seriously, EA and BioWare need to collectively die, in a car crash, on the way to Christmas dinner...

with cancer...

and AIDS.

Fuck them in their stupid asses.

Oct 8, 2012
Ok allow me to close this discussion.

People come to this thread for one of 3 things:
1. Look for validation for modding Mass Effect 3.
2. Come to condemn anyone who mods Mass Effect 3.
3. Those that just have an opinion and want to flash everyone with it.

For those that fall in the first group: You already have or have already decided that you are going to mod Mass Effect 3 and are just looking for validation for your actions. Personally I like modding games to look and run better (and yes I pay for every game I get.) While I do not condemn those for doing so I do not think it wise but then again most of us are too young to really care about that kind of stuff.

For those in the second group as long as you don't mod Mass Effect 3 what does it matter that others did I mean it's not like you have anything to worry about. As far as I have read none of the people reading these posts are going to listen. They will just refute anything they have to say.

For those in the last group - do you really care or do you just like to read what you wrote. Just remember that anything you say can and will probably be used to ban you. But other than that happy flashing.

In the end no one really cares what the other person has to say and will do whatever they want anyways. If people want to do something there will be someone out there already trying to find it. Thanks Internet.

Oct 8, 2012
Directly posted by a bioware employee:

Locked.

Thomas Abram wrote...

To clarify,

Scylla was
correct and I was correct. Scylla's answer was more broadly based in
that if you modify your SP and it has no game changing effects to
your/others multiplayer experience (say for example, granting you x
amount of credits or making a weapon x times more powerful) then there
is no problem with this. My answer was poorly worded and I apologize for
that - I was aiming to answer a couple questions I had received via PM
(the same two questions from many different users) as well as support
what Scylla said.

As mentioned by Scylla, you will not be banned
for modifying your files *unless (and this is where my intention was)
they give you an unfair advantage in any multiplayer aspect of the
game.

Keith

Feb 27, 2013
Modding is not as "Evil" as some make out take skyrim
it has become a success not in small part to modding
the modding community for skyrim is large, but EA is NO Bethesda
they see modding as evil and illegal...they will see this in their game sales
Revenge shall be the modders

I'd love to go running round space with a bow and arrow or an M16
I run around skyrim with a "Lightsabre"