Moderation FAQ

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Erana said:
Could you voice the official moderator stance on necroposting and repeat threads? As well as how mods feel about people who make posts pointing out such things?
Repeat threads is in the FAQ:
Regarding repeat threads, you will not receive an infraction, but the thread may be locked. To avoid repeat threads please use the 'Search Forums' [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/search] button, commonly referred to as the search bar.
Necroing is handled on a case by case basis. For example, if it's a really old thread and the post doesn't add anything meaningful, one may receive an infraction. If you're a new user reviving a month old thread, we may look the other way.
Mr.K. said:
Is the images in spoilers rule really necessary?

Yes, but it is mostly regarding big or obtrusive images. Not everyone has haxxorz bandwidth.
So why aren't these things automated, put all user posted images/videos in spoiler boxes and the same should go for longer quotes, would make for a much neater forum.

Could also add a low content post warning system that directs people here to get wise, and an ad-blocker detection/reminder, because most people simply forget they have it active on every site.

All this would make your jobs alot simpler and the users happier.
All of that would be a case for the tech team. They're the ones that would have to make stuff like that happen, and they're quite busy already. Basically, it would be nice if some of those things happened, but it's too low on the priority list. However, you could always voice your ideas in The Ideas for the Escapist Group. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Ideas-for-The-Escapist] If enough people support them, they may rise on the priority list.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
I like this and I hope this become a place where more questions can be asked... Like this one:

This has been on my mind for a while, now: How exactly do you become a mod? I mean, I understand that you have to do a lot for the community, but what counts as a good deed for the community?

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
War Penguin said:
How exactly do you become a mod?
Normally the Directorate doesn't like me telling the secret formula, but since you asked so politely, I'll let you in on our secret techniques. Keep in mind this all has to be done in a very specific order, and only under the most pristine circumstances.

To start, the first thing you need to do is find the nearest mountain; pack only food, water, a tent, a sleeping bag, and a fresh change of clothes, and begin your hike. Keep in mind, if the nearest mountain is several states or countries away, so be it. It will be a long hike. Be careful to only wear shoes with rubber soles and toes, as steel-toe boots or flip-flops anger the Mountain Gods. Your trip will be long and arduous. This is normal.

Once you arrive at the summit, the Mountain Gods will survey you from on high. If they like your performance during the hike, they will smile down on you. This is good. If they dislike your performance, they'll unleash the Mountain Krakens. This is not good. Be cautious of Mountain Krakens. For best results, pepper yourself liberally with sweat and lemon juice before facing the Mountain Gods, and do not drive for at least 48 hours prior to the meeting. This includes getting to the mountain.

Once you have the blessing of the Mountain Gods, you should return to your home and post the first message that comes to you head in the first thread that catches your eye in Off-Topic. Keep in mind that the Mountain Gods' blessing will be filling your spirit, and their mysterious ways may move through you during posting. If you find yourself more eloquent, less patient, and/or more lumberjack during this particular post, don't worry. This is normal.

One of the Mountain Gods, Nasrin, will immediately recognize this post and put you on the list of eligibles. Here is the most crucial step. Upon suspicion that you're under consideration, begin posting in such a way that the leftmost column of letters spells out a word or phrase in every post. This will take some effort, but the Mountain God Nasrin will reward you ultimately, so stand strong.

After a two month trial period, and a background check through the Redundant Department of Redundancy, you'll be contacted with the good news in four to six business years.

... Or maybe

GeorgW said:
How does one become a moderator?

You do not come to us, we come to you. If you do right by this community and show that you know the rules and how to handle yourself, we will find you. Keep in mind that it is tough work, and it may not be as fun as you might expect.
Genuinely, just post as you normally would and act as you normally do. Moderation is one of those things that shows itself as a function of being a positive influence and maintaining good posting habits. It's not enough to push the rules, or to command they be followed, but instead act as a positive example of them in how you think, act, and do.

Modding is just a way to give back to the community. It's not power, it's responsibility. If you work and act in the community's best interest, and for the overall improvement of the forum, then you'll become a likely candidate for moderation. Candidacy is just that, though. No one can say a single way, for better or worse, to become a mod. It's just in the doing, and the being, and hopefully being helpful to everyone along the way.

It's mostly just a lot of work.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
NewClassic said:
War Penguin said:
Normally the Directorate doesn't like me telling the secret formula, but since you asked so politely, I'll let you in on our secret techniques. Keep in mind this all has to be done in a very specific order, and only under the most pristine circumstances.

To start, the first thing you need to do is find the nearest mountain; pack only food, water, a tent, a sleeping bag, and a fresh change of clothes, and begin your hike. Keep in mind, if the nearest mountain is several states or countries away, so be it. It will be a long hike. Be careful to only wear shoes with rubber soles and toes, as steel-toe boots or flip-flops anger the Mountain Gods. Your trip will be long and arduous. This is normal.

Once you arrive at the summit, the Mountain Gods will survey you from on high. If they like your performance during the hike, they will smile down on you. This is good. If they dislike your performance, they'll unleash the Mountain Krakens. This is not good. Be cautious of Mountain Krakens. For best results, pepper yourself liberally with sweat and lemon juice before facing the Mountain Gods, and do not drive for at least 48 hours prior to the meeting. This includes getting to the mountain.

Once you have the blessing of the Mountain Gods, you should return to your home and post the first message that comes to you head in the first thread that catches your eye in Off-Topic. Keep in mind that the Mountain Gods' blessing will be filling your spirit, and their mysterious ways may move through you during posting. If you find yourself more eloquent, less patient, and/or more lumberjack during this particular post, don't worry. This is normal.

One of the Mountain Gods, Nasrin, will immediately recognize this post and put you on the list of eligibles. Here is the most crucial step. Upon suspicion that you're under consideration, begin posting in such a way that the leftmost column of letters spells out a word or phrase in every post. This will take some effort, but the Mountain God Nasrin will reward you ultimately, so stand strong.

After a two month trial period, and a background check through the Redundant Department of Redundancy, you'll be contacted with the good news in four to six business years.
That... that was amazing. I've only heard of you briefly, NewClassic, but now I can see why you're a legend!

... Or maybe

GeorgW said:
How does one become a moderator?

You do not come to us, we come to you. If you do right by this community and show that you know the rules and how to handle yourself, we will find you. Keep in mind that it is tough work, and it may not be as fun as you might expect.
Genuinely, just post as you normally would and act as you normally do. Moderation is one of those things that shows itself as a function of being a positive influence and maintaining good posting habits. It's not enough to push the rules, or to command they be followed, but instead act as a positive example of them in how you think, act, and do.

Modding is just a way to give back to the community. It's not power, it's responsibility. If you work and act in the community's best interest, and for the overall improvement of the forum, then you'll become a likely candidate for moderation. Candidacy is just that, though. No one can say a single way, for better or worse, to become a mod. It's just in the doing, and the being, and hopefully being helpful to everyone along the way.

It's mostly just a lot of work.
Oh... Kind of wish I saw that, earlier. >.<

I understand how much of a commitment being a moderator is, but I feel like I haven't done anything for the community that's done so much for me. Granted, I'm not willing to go through the trials of being a mod [small](yet)[/small], what with beginning college and all, but I just want a way to give back to the community!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
War Penguin said:
NewClassic said:
You forgot the part where everyone accuses you of being a fascist all the time. And the part about how your only sustenance is tears of the innocent. But yeah, other than that responsibility blah blah.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Nasrin said:
War Penguin said:
NewClassic said:
You forgot the part where everyone accuses you of being a fascist all the time. And the part about how your only sustenance is tears of the innocent. But yeah, other than that responsibility blah blah.
Hey now, let's not focus on all the bad stuff. Those feasts we have on the souls of the banned are not only extremely tasty but they keep us eternally young as well!

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
*Sigh of relief* Now I don't have to be so nervous every time I post in the forum games with the fear of getting a low content warning. You also answered one of my stupid questions of how to become a mod which I would have never asked anyone but it was just as I thought. This is very helpful and answered all of my stupid little questions, Nice Job.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
GeorgW said:
[ul][li]Are Facebook comments exempt from the rules?[/li][/ul]

No, but they are exempt from low content. Please go there for low content comments.
How would mods go about punishing people for Facebook comments? The comments are supported through a plugin run via a different site and whilst you can link an Escapist account to a Facebook account, you don't have to in order to post Facebook comments from what I've seen so you can't simply punish the linked account every time. So how do Facebook posts get punished, are they just deleted or something?

EDIT:

Sevre said:
We're actually quite nice.
Don't go about telling people that! Next thing you know they'll figure out that the Tech Team are actually a nice bunch of guys.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Zombie_Fish said:
GeorgW said:
[ul][li]Are Facebook comments exempt from the rules?[/li][/ul]

No, but they are exempt from low content. Please go there for low content comments.
How would mods go about punishing people for Facebook comments? The comments are supported through a plugin run via a different site and whilst you can link an Escapist account to a Facebook account, you don't have to in order to post Facebook comments from what I've seen so you can't simply punish the linked account every time. So how do Facebook posts get punished, are they just deleted or something?
We can hide or bump individual comments, or ban a user from posting on facebook completely (I think it still lets them post, but only their friends see it). Also, if it's really bad, we can check to see if they match an account here of course.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
What about trolling that happens without the "rules" being broken. such as intentionaly countering everyone in the thread with the intention of making them angry? They dont get a warning because they dont insult seems to be how it goes.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
JET1971 said:
What about trolling that happens without the "rules" being broken. such as intentionaly countering everyone in the thread with the intention of making them angry? They dont get a warning because they dont insult seems to be how it goes.
If we realize that one user is causing a lot of other people to flip out and land themselves warnings, we'll generally step in. Usually it comes in the form of an inflammatory thread topic, a la "Hey guys... what's the deal with MLP??"

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
JET1971 said:
That would be classified under the 'Don't be a Jerk' rule.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Something to add: The low-content posts is a misnomer, it's all about the number of words. I.E. if it can be said in less than two sentences, you'll get an infraction, no matter how much it's worth saying. Repeat yourself but use slightly different wording to make that glass barrier.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
DaHero said:
Something to add: The low-content posts is a misnomer, it's all about the number of words. I.E. if it can be said in less than two sentences, you'll get an infraction, no matter how much it's worth saying. Repeat yourself but use slightly different wording to make that glass barrier.
That's because this isn't correct. Low content means exactly what it says on the tin [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin]. Low content - of insufficient content to be worth posting. For the most part low content is reserved for posts such as "this", "+1", image macros and such. If you think a post was punished unfairly, if you think the post in question does have content, you may politely appeal the decision (as mentioned in the FAQ), and it will be reviewed.

The idea that the "low content" rule is based on number of words or "length" of the written content is, I assure you, absurd. I've personally cleared one liners and "few words" posts as fine and punished posts with several lines of redundant soliloquy for the sake of inflating a post's visual size. The two are not connected.

That said, if you honestly believe your post is legit, well, it's possible we might have made a mistake. That's why the appeal system exists.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
NewClassic said:
War Penguin said:

Ahh yes, I remember the trek well. To be fair, I refused to leave my steel caps behind. Threatening to kick one of the Gods in the unmentionable if I was barred for awesome fucking boots worked a treat. I don't think it could happen twice however, and no-one else has quite my force of personality to pull it off.

Of course, dear Escapist Commoners, getting a modship is only the beginning of the battle. It is the intro quest in a game so powerful that few, even among the Mountain Gods comprehend all the details. The side-quests are long and arduous. There's even upkeep to be performed in ones home base which requires co-operation lest it become overwhelming. In many ways modding is like playing Dorf Fortress with your hands in mittens and sunglasses on. For a time you will be in control. Power and resources will be yours.

Then the cats. Oh. The cats. The cats will come. There is a reason I weild a BanSword.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
GeorgW said:
I've been staring at that badge of yours for a number of weeks now and in the interest of this faq I am compelled to follow it's instruction.

What make and model is your banhammer, and must you often use to beat back the seething mass of women whom are naturally drawn to it's power?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
GeorgW said:
I've been staring at that badge of yours for a number of weeks now and in the interest of this faq I am compelled to follow it's instruction.

What make and model is your banhammer, and must you often use to beat back the seething mass of women whom are naturally drawn to it's power?
The mighty banhammer is custom made, all of the mods here are given one made especially for them by the mountain Gods once they've completed their quest (for more on this check NewClassic's previous post, the dummy let out the secret >.<).
And as for the second part of your question, I use it more often to ward off women than I do banning people. It's that alluring.
Of course, my personal banhammer is widely regarded as the most beautiful and powerful one.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I guess it's about time for me to come out with it...