Moderation FAQ

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Nasrin said:
I guess it's about time for me to come out with it...

What a mighty ban hammer, I should probably avoid that especially since you probably use the spike to ban people. Now all you need is matching armor and you can become the invincible mod that everyone fears.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Nasrin said:

When you first said that I thought you were referring to a toy hammer like the one Archon has for reinforcing the troops. My how wrong I was.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Zombie_Fish said:
Nasrin said:

When you first said that I thought you were referring to a toy hammer like the one Archon has for reinforcing the troops. My how wrong I was.
*booming mod voice*

[HEADING=1]FEAR MY HAMMER![/HEADING]

*dink*

Nas, you know I love you and everything, can I get a bigger hammer please?

Labyrinth said:
Ahh yes, I remember the trek well. To be fair, I refused to leave my steel caps behind. Threatening to kick one of the Gods in the unmentionable if I was barred for awesome fucking boots worked a treat. I don't think it could happen twice however, and no-one else has quite my force of personality to pull it off.

Of course, dear Escapist Commoners, getting a modship is only the beginning of the battle. It is the intro quest in a game so powerful that few, even among the Mountain Gods comprehend all the details. The side-quests are long and arduous. There's even upkeep to be performed in ones home base which requires co-operation lest it become overwhelming. In many ways modding is like playing Dorf Fortress with your hands in mittens and sunglasses on. For a time you will be in control. Power and resources will be yours.

Then the cats. Oh. The cats. The cats will come. There is a reason I weild a BanSword.
Wow, you guys had to go through all of that, I went through the traditional origins route and got bitten by a radioactive banhammer.

Spoilered for cleanlyness, remember children, spoiler's are like purell for the internet!.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
ColdStorage said:
*booming mod voice*

*dink*

Why do that? You know what they said about guys with big banhammers right?

[sub][sub][sub]...and that is totally unrelated to why I used a rocket-propelled banchainsaw. [/sub][/sub][/sub]

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
bahumat42 said:
We have an amnesty system for that. After six 6 months without any infractions, your forum health meter will drop a level. After two years without any infractions your forum health meter will reset. Keep in mind that although it is possible to reset your FHM, your infraction history remains, and will be taken into consideration if ever another infraction is made.

If your going to take previous infractions into consideration even when somebody has wiped clean their health bar, doesn't that make the bar itself kind of redundant?
Nah its cool, your thinking to much in a manner that a computer and a programmed algorithm would think.

If someone 3 years down the line after completely wipes clean there ban history we still need to know previous offences, just to know what they are capable of.

We will not prejudice against them, the forum cannot prejudice them, its merely a reference point for us to take into account.

Zombie_Fish said:
ColdStorage said:
*booming mod voice*

*dink*

Why do that? You know what they said about guys with big banhammers right?

[sub][sub][sub]...and that is totally unrelated to why I used a rocket-propelled banchainsaw. [/sub][/sub][/sub]
They are awesome and I love them?

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
I almost want to be a mod just so I can get a Banweapon and join in with story-telling and shizz. But that'd be a bad idea...
*glares at his Laziness*

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
ColdStorage said:
Zombie_Fish said:
Nasrin said:

*booming mod voice*

*dink*

You should aim for the mighty Hammer Drill!

By the way, do you guys require user reports to deal judgment or do you warn/suspend/ban/nuke users you come across in the forums if you deem it necessary, even if no one has reported them yet?

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Yes, I have a question: Why did I get a 14-day suspension for insulting a mod ON A COMPLETE DIFFERENT FORUM AND WEBSITE? It was made clear that in my post that it wasn't about here and in my next post on that same thread I said very clearly that the mods here were cool and were not jerks.

I have yet to see anything that says insulting a mod from a different website is against the rules.

I would like an explanation, please.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
The Virgo said:
Yes, I have a question: Why did I get a 14-day suspension for insulting a mod ON A COMPLETE DIFFERENT FORUM AND WEBSITE? It was made clear that in my post that it wasn't about here and in my next post on that same thread I said very clearly that the mods here were cool and were not jerks.

I have yet to see anything that says insulting a mod from a different website is against the rules.

...what the hell? That suspension's ridiculous!

What does the mod message say? And did you take it up with them through the official channel?
"Flaming/trolling" ... Uh, no? How? The point of the tread (which was one I started to begin with) was "Crazient/Oddest/Worst Userbase on a Forum?" That was the point.

"and creating hatred towards another community." What I said about them was the God's honest truth. Anytime a mod says they will ban you when you don't have any infraction points and, I quote, this is not a joke, "... send an email to all those involved and say "See, I TOLD you so!", he is overstepping his boundaries and would have been harrasment. Then, when you report him to an admin and he says that he WAS NOT and then begins to insult you, they are douches. "Creating hatred towards another community"? No, I was warning THIS ONE to STAY AWAY from them.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
The Virgo said:
I think you could easily have got that removed, and can easily now. It's repeatedly been stated that groups can be insulted, individuals can't - and you were insulting a group, not an individual.
Ah shit, THAT'S where the problem is! I did actually specifically mention the admin who insulted me. Ah well, for a moment there I thought I had them beat. <:-(

I hate to have initiated this conversation with you for nothing, but I do want to thank you for trying to help me. :) Anyway, good luck and thanks for pointing out where the problem was.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
By the way, do you guys require user reports to deal judgment or do you warn/suspend/ban/nuke users you come across in the forums if you deem it necessary, even if no one has reported them yet?
A reported post is not required to incur our ire and wrath, if the comment breaches the rules then it doesn't matter how we come across it, we will deal with it accordingly.

The Virgo said:

Have you made an appeal?

First thing you need to do is make an appeal, bitching about it gets you no where and your just speculating now, with isn't conducing to this thread or your argument.

Also, this isn't the place to appeal, if you would like to discuss this via PM you are quite welcome too.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
ColdStorage said:
Have you made an appeal?

First thing you need to do is make an appeal, bitching about it gets you no where and your just speculating now, with isn't conducing to this thread or your argument.

Also, this isn't the place to appeal, if you would like to discuss this via PM you are quite welcome too.
I did, actually, less than 12 hours after the infraction, and I never got an answer. That's why I posted here. And since I wouldn't know which mod to PM, I just figured that ALL the mods (including yourself) would check here and would find my post. Hey, it worked, right? :)

Buy, like another user pointed out, the problem was that I mentioned a specific admin, which is what got me in hot water, so I guess I don't have a case. <:-/ Ah well, at least the infraction meter can go down, so I guess I'll have to be careful for awhile ...

Thanks for replying, though! :) It's good to know that when you need a mod, there are some around.

Oh, I also have an unrelated question that's more on-topic: Is it possible for a moderator to receive warnings?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The Virgo said:
ColdStorage said:
Have you made an appeal?

I did, actually, less than 12 hours after the infraction, and I never got an answer. That's why I posted here. And since I wouldn't know which mod to PM, I just figured that ALL the mods (including yourself) would check here and would find my post. Hey, it worked, right? :)

Buy, like another user pointed out, the problem was that I mentioned a specific admin, which is what got me in hot water, so I guess I don't have a case. <:-/ Ah well, at least the infraction meter can go down, so I guess I'll have to be careful for awhile ...

Thanks for replying, though! :) It's good to know that when you need a mod, there are some around.

Oh, I also have an unrelated question that's more on-topic: Is it possible for a moderator to receive warnings?
From what I've seen, mods don't reieve the kind of warnings we do. If a mod were to get in trouble they would get warned by the staff. So basically to answer your question: yes they do get warnings, but mod accounts do not have a forum health meter like we do. However, once that mod retires or gives up on being a mod then they do get forum health meters and can recieve infractions that cause the meter to go up. Is that about right @ColdStorage or am I mistaken?

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
The Virgo said:

In future if you have problems with moderation in general [user]Nasrin[/user] is your go to girl, she our awesome Community Manager and the guardian of baby turtles.

Sorry for cutting down your quote, I'll answer your other question by quoting Neronium

Neronium said:
From what I've seen, mods don't reieve the kind of warnings we do. If a mod were to get in trouble they would get warned by the staff. So basically to answer your question: yes they do get warnings, but mod accounts do not have a forum health meter like we do. However, once that mod retires or gives up on being a mod then they do get forum health meters and can recieve infractions that cause the meter to go up. Is that about right @ColdStorage or am I mistaken?
The Moderators are not immune, if we step out of line the same rules applies to us as the rest of the community, but chances are we are a lot less likely to explode, we deal with arguments most days so instead of making things worse we tend to diffuse situations.

That and we are really hard on each other and constantly critique ourselves, NewClassic's motto, if in doubt, ask a question, ask 50 of them.

We also sometimes get things wrong in terms of moderation, that's when we get a dreaded PM from Nasrin telling us off.

So to answer your final question, once we retire, same rules applies, but like I said before we are less likely to be taken in by flamebait.

edit: we do have health meters, I can show you if you want by warning myself.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Jedamethis said:
I almost want to be a mod just so I can get a Banweapon and join in with story-telling and shizz. But that'd be a bad idea...
*glares at his Laziness*
That's the best part of being a mod, we get given a weapon to smite trolls with, although having to have eyeball implants to deal with the report queue is quite painful.

I got myself a shiny BanBow, Wilson smites with his Sausage on a Stick, LaCoil has the BanMop and UltraJoe had the Dominator.

Warning the following contains scenes of awesome, The Escapist is not liable for symptons resulting from watching the following such as Ultraness, head explosions and sudden death.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
So do you have to be a moderator in order to create threads? Sorry for the(possibly)dumb question, but in my two months here, I have never been able to make a thread even though I have a couple of ideas in my head.

Also, can moderators be banned as well? They're posters as well and if they start a flame war, or disrespect a fellow escapist, shouldn't they also be punished too? This never happened to me, just a random thought.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
ColdStorage said:
Jedamethis said:
*glares at his Laziness*
That's the best part of being a mod, we get given a weapon to smite trolls with, although having to have eyeball implants to deal with the report queue is quite painful.

I got myself a shiny BanBow, Wilson smites with his Sausage on a Stick, LaCoil has the BanMop and UltraJoe had the Dominator.

Warning the following contains scenes of awesome, The Escapist is not liable for symptons resulting from watching the following such as Ultraness, head explosions and sudden death.

I remember somebody has an Un-Ban Spatula in their cupboard. Gathering dust. :p
Who was it who had the BanSMop? A mop with a sword in the handle...

...Buh. Wha. Floob. *brain has become overwhelmed with HOLY SHIT messages*

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Shadow flame master said:
So do you have to be a moderator in order to create threads? Sorry for the(possibly)dumb question, but in my two months here, I have never been able to make a thread even though I have a couple of ideas in my head.

Also, can moderators be banned as well? They're posters as well and if they start a flame war, or disrespect a fellow escapist, shouldn't they also be punished too? This never happened to me, just a random thought.
Create away young child, create away, you have the capability to create threads.

Mods can get banned, we wouldn't cause shit though and start a flame war though.

We love this site, we love this community, we don't actually want to cause harm.